The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 minutes ago, OM646 said:

"Are you a Rover enthusiast? 

Do you want to show everyone what's your favorite machine and engine combination?

Then we found the keychain for YOU!!!"

Screenshot_20220405_182923.thumb.jpg.c631a8451823035da215a52c3895e943.jpg

They should make them so that they're the right size for when one does inevitably have ERMAHGERD HERD GERSKERT FAYLUREE

9 hours ago, Spurious said:

My grandfather used to have one of those bikes, a big high nelly Raleigh with a brooks saddle like a sofa. Walking up the hill, and freewheeling with the fall of the road. 

He used to cycle from Tipperary to Dublin before it got light (probably 100 miles) to see them play in Croke park in the afternoon and then cycle home that evening. Hardy fella, he lived until 94. Don't make em like that anymore... 

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Sad that it is almost gone but you are lucky to have experienced it as this seems like great people.

47 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I don't want to be a downer, but my dad cycled everywhere on an immaculate 4 speed Raleigh Superbe, and he keeled over and died when he was 52.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-60144564

This is grandfather_stanky. 100 not out and going strong.

8 minutes ago, Stanky said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-60144564

This is grandfather_stanky. 100 not out and going strong.

Thanks for sharing this. What a great guy you have as a grandfather and can think he has a lot of stories to tell. And you are lucky to still have him, My grandfather was only 72 when he passed away.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

I don't want to be a downer, but my dad cycled everywhere on an immaculate 4 speed Raleigh Superbe, and he keeled over and died when he was 52.

My dad cycled everywhere on various Raleighs and other British bikes, he died at 51. Admittedly it was in an accident so how much he cycled probably made very little difference.

It is why I've checked the earliest I can start drawing from my pension. 55. 29 years to go until I retire* then.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:26 PM, junkyarddog said:

This beauty was at the test centre too,it's a recent import and was being inspected prior to being registered on Irish plates.

20220328_110307.thumb.jpg.28270047090023d53c222ca3c839285d.jpg

20220328_110252.thumb.jpg.c4eb2255271091bcefd3113b7826e294.jpg

20220328_110243.thumb.jpg.83761f9a9742e14cf05d1db7f275fa29.jpg

I worked for an Alfa dealer in north London circa 1990, there was an elderly lady (in her 80`s+) who had an IDENTICAL sud to that, like, literally identical... It had done next to no mileage, but she had it serviced every year without fail with us. It lived in a nice cosy garage.
I cant remember the plate, not even the reg year, Could that be it I wonder...I`m fairly convinced it is... 🤔

1 hour ago, reb said:

My dad cycled everywhere on various Raleighs and other British bikes, he died at 51. Admittedly it was in an accident so how much he cycled probably made very little difference.

It is why I've checked the earliest I can start drawing from my pension. 55. 29 years to go until I retire* then.

My  cycling/motorcycling dad also croaked at 51, from cancer. I expected to die of hydrogen bombs before I made 40. I am now a (broke, pissed) pensioner. Still think H-bombs are on the cards…

I've decided I should probably put my private plate on my new* Volvo after nearly 5 months of ownership. I have a set of eBay pressed plates like I had on the old one, but I'm quite tempted to get a set of pre-2001 font plates made. I can get them with or without a border, and with or without a flag on the left. There's a wide variety of flag styles to choose from. This is far too much customisation for this time of night, I'll come back to it another time I think.

Wrong place I expect but ...

I URGENTLY need to borrow a 5m endoscope/borescope to inspect one pipe ASAP, preferably in Horsham,West Sussex area or nearby . A proper traders one or an Android one that works on a Type C plug on a Motorola G6 , I think .

Tia 🤞🤞🤞🤞

4 hours ago, brownnova said:

Spot of the day… hand painted flowers on a Perodua Kenari! 
E7299BCE-7F7B-43C2-AE8F-9CB1E4001DB7.jpegB1EAA01C-B72B-4DCF-B87E-6223EA304EEE.jpeg

My old Kenari originally had flowers on it, albeit in vinyl sticker form.  A bottom half repaint got rid of those.

It was previously owned by a mate's Mrs, and she added the flowers in an attempt to stop him "borrowing" it all the time.