The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

18 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Looks well indeed how are you getting on with it?

Its pretty nice and I'm happy enough, I've had to do a few jobs such as replace the wiper motor, fix a few electrical niggles (airbag light, dodgy bulb connections) and service it but other than that its running well, it could do with a suspension refresh as it's a bit baggy but it has done 180k, a full set of arms/TRE's and ball joints is only £150 so I'll do it once it's proved itself.

It's like getting into an old armchair, it's just so comfortable and smooth, I'm just wafting around listening to the excellent dolby sound system, I had a look at the average mpg the other day and won't look again 😅 but as I'm doing so few miles it hardly matters.

Its nice to have a practical car again, I managed to take a king size bed to the tip last weekend, no chance of that happening in the Saab, I'll probably run it till it breaks although I'll be getting the FiL's S80 soon which will leave me with a dilemma.

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Yep, wings bolt on.  Keep an eye on the oil level as some seem to like a drink and make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted so it doesn't cook the release bearing.

Other than that they're pretty bulletproof little motors.

Cheers.

I've got a '61 pug 107. I have a pretty good idea what to look for. Our clutch seems to bite high as it happens. I haven't investigated yet though.

Fil's '02 S80 D5 will be sold cheap I've heard. Just passed it's mot and ahad a service last week. Towbar too iirc. A bit rough and ready but would make a decent work horse with a massive boot. 40+ mpg too.

Scrap value may buy it. I'll keep up to date if anyone's interested.

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Fil's '02 S80 D5 will be sold cheap I've heard. Just passed it's mot and ahad a service last week. Towbar too iirc. A bit rough and ready but would make a decent work horse with a massive boot. 40+ mpg too.

Scrap value may buy it. I'll keep up to date if anyone's interested.

👀

Silver Civic has been returned to standard and sold to a friend, who is over the moon with it.
Just been to pick up a pair of rear arms for the coupe, that I managed to get for free from a Honda Facebook group. They also turned out to be the closest ones I was offered, in Macclesfield. They came complete with brakes, hoses, handbrake cables, and unfucked trailing arm bushes! 
The sedan is going in for paint on Tuesday - I've just fitted a new thermostat to it, as the old one was stuck open. Further, I've taken off the vinyl coachline, added some new speakers and other little bits. 
I've ordered new discs and pads for it as the brakes feel a bit weak and there's some vibration in the pedal sometimes - ECP had Pagid discs for a tenner a pair. I also ordered it a new radiator as the one in there is the original Denso part, and all the fins are rotten and there's a hole in the corner where they've all fallen out. 

@Bren pics of our XP Vectra as promised.

20220403_181302.thumb.jpg.947c09a55c880e647e509f6e7e4a77c9.jpg

Screwfix's no nonsense wash and wax was thrown over it with the pressure washer this afternoon as it was filthy. It's a bit rough round the edges but we picked it up with 82k on it and its now on 191k and still running pretty good. Don't look anywhere as nice and shiny as yours though!

Did the van while I was at it too.

20220403_181554.thumb.jpg.afe18169e90feb3d327fde5219ca2ae2.jpg

Mrs Popsicle loves sticking stickers on things for the full on chav look.

20220403_182159.thumb.jpg.7af9befc55afb8606e23c107ce9b5a0b.jpg

20220403_182212.thumb.jpg.a8be7da8c6e2e01245ff76d6d1b8cab1.jpg

Well that was a frustrating day.  I got the strut off the Rover - that wasn't too bad a job, I had to break out the ball joint splitter to get the track rod end out of the hub carrier (so that's going to need a new boot) but the only thing that really gave me hassle was the ABS sensor - I got the completely fucked bolt undone with the aid of my knock-off Irwin set but the sensor itself wouldn't come out of the hub for love nor money - I tried prising it out with a screwdriver, getting a pair of mole grips on it and wiggling it, all that happened was that it broke - I'm hoping that the sensor bit still works as otherwise it's going to be fun* getting the remains out to fit a new one.  In the end I unplugged the wiring in the engine bay and pulled the whole wire off with the strut.

The old spring came out easily enough with the compressors, but getting the new spring in proved to be quite a mission.  There was no way of getting the spring compressed enough to fit - if I grabbed two coils with the compressors then it wouldn't pull the spring down anywhere near far enough, but if I grabbed three coils then due to the shape of the spring and the strut there was no way of doing it without one or both of the compressors fouling on something.  I must have wound that fucking spring in and out half a dozen times - my arms were completely knackered by the end of the afternoon.  I ended up taking it up to a mate's this evening and with his compressors as well as mine, and a bit of help from a pry bar, we were able to wangle it in by about 11pm...

Reassembly will hopefully be the reverse of removal, although I'm not looking forward to refitting the strut - it's a heavy bastard to lift with the hub carrier still attached...

20 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I managed to extract the seat loom from the car, it was a right old war as I not only had to remove the seat but also dismantle the actual seat itself. I wanted to get to each plug rather than cut the loom. At least now I can see how things come apart.

I'd probably have taken the sensor while I was there too, in case that is faulty. Not sure if they're polarity sensitive but if they are and the loom connections were swapped at some point, it may have been damaged. 

I noticed some closed pumps at the Fuel Station yesterday. Oh bollocks. I think it is something to do with a bunch of out of touch cunts with nothing better to do blocking some refineries around the UK. 

This got me thinking about fuel consumption, so I checked Alison's online as I'm brilliant* at maths. 

Very pleased with the results given Alison's age- 19 in September! 😎😎😎

DSC_0145_compress41.jpg

Screenshot_20220403-212512_compress99.jpg

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

...an utter twat?

In other exciting news the tail pipe fell off the arse of Suzi* this morning, luckily it appears to be made of unobtainium so I'll be investing in a quality hand made stainless alternative.

Are you suggesting that I'm an utter twat because I name my car? 

I'm really sorry that my posting style doesn't appear to meet your requirements. 

Still, your opinion of me has nothing to do with me, so that's cool. 

Fed up with the cost of fuel but still wish to keep your shitters credibility intact?

Me too,so I bought this last Saturday at an Autojumble.

1950s BSA bicycle. 

Spent the morning tinkering with it,and it's now in a rideable condition,just🤣

20220404_131438.thumb.jpg.6d11d615734a77442603ff91ce43f6c1.jpg

20220404_131450.thumb.jpg.2aaa165bb0e975f4733f82c5c0a9c1a7.jpg

Plan is to give it an oily rag resto and use it to pop to the shops,maybe depends on my fitness levels 🙄🤣

55 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Fed up with the cost of fuel but still wish to keep your shitters credibility intact?

1950s BSA bicycle. 

Plan is to give it an oily rag resto and use it to pop to the shops,maybe depends on my fitness levels 🙄🤣

if you can get an age appropriate cycle-motor for it, you can still register it with the DVLA to this day :) 

Today I managed to get the lovely £250 golf cabriolet off the disabled car tax by sorting out the tax at the post office so now for the first time today I can drive it.

It also now has an advisory free Mot and even made a completely invisible repair to the roof seam using some fantastic glue called stormsure so can highly recommended the stuff.

The jobs next to do is sometime fit the new waterpump as it makes a little rattle on startup and fit the new BBS alloy centre caps and give the roof a going over with some fabsil and it’s also having the tracking sorted on Saturday as it has a slight pull to the left.

I can honestly say I’ve never seen one in as good rust free condition so I’m over the moon with my purchase.

So I started off with a colour concept in white all those years back and ended up 23 years later with an all black edition lol.

But I shouldn’t of sold the White one for a grand back in 2000 as it was absolutely mint and had done about 80000 miles like the one I have now.

Australian photos as usual lol

66684197-0D55-414A-952B-DC2AB6E7C110.jpeg

750E1388-DB35-48CE-99F0-67E748101EF9.jpeg

65EF4E79-0DB5-41CA-BC2E-DF4C42D9829B.jpeg

4A812742-14F2-4CDE-B792-E081911FC845.jpeg

09AC7876-6E25-41F9-9D8F-7942A74F0050.jpeg

2 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

1950s BSA bicycle. 

That front spring on the seat looks like it might give you a nasty surprise at an inopportune moment! :shock::shock::shock:

3 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

1950s BSA bicycle. 

Well..... I'm simply in awe 😱

*being A$ 'skip raider/rider' in residence, you've certainly ACED me!

🚴💨

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Reassembly will hopefully be the reverse of removal, although I'm not looking forward to refitting the strut - it's a heavy bastard to lift with the hub carrier still attached...

Well in this instance at least it seems that old man Haynes was telling the truth.

20220404_191004.thumb.jpg.1e72e107df4f8510adc7b8350609fd48.jpg

Only real setback was that I seem to have lost the nut off the drop link, but I found another nut in my stash that fitted so all good in the hood.

The Running of the Bulls* Cwm Y Glo style.

*Just helped my neighbour move his bull, cow and two calves. My job was to stop them from running down the hill past the field. To be fair I'm not sure what I would have done if they hadn't gone straight into the field! Had that scene from Withnail and I running through my mind.

Farmer Parkin: Hey! Show no fear! Just run at it!

Marwood: Well, that can't be sensible, can it? The bastard's about to run at me!

Farmer Parkin: Well, he's randy!

Marwood: Yes, yeah! I know he is!

Withnail: Wants to get down there and have sex with those cows.

Marwood: Shut up, Withnail!

Farmer Parkin: Run at it, shouting!

Withnail: Do as he says, start shouting. He won't gore you.

Marwood: A coward, you are, Withnail! An expert on bulls, you are not!

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

if you can get an age appropriate cycle-motor for it, you can still register it with the DVLA to this day :) 

No DVLA here in the Republic of Ireland young man.

Even if I did fit an engine to it,we don't tend to bother with such trivialitys as registering stuff like that "Sure twill be grand"

6 hours ago, Stanky said:

That front spring on the seat looks like it might give you a nasty surprise at an inopportune moment! :shock::shock::shock:

Actually not that bad!!😳

5 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Well..... I'm simply in awe 😱

*being A$ 'skip raider/rider' in residence, you've certainly ACED me!

🚴💨

Really??

You've been aced by a rusty bike?🤪

Gave it a rub over with some boiled linseed oil. 

20220404_164625.thumb.jpg.e0d5aea4e45e2d630d445b4b9a674306.jpg

I need to source a correct rod brake front wheel rim for it,see if I can get the dynamo to work and maybe a better condition saddle but it's otherwise useable now.