The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, MR SCRUFF said:

Delivered a trailer today to a chap with similar interests. "You like your old Austins... Have these I think they are A35"

IMG_20220329_135026_132.thumb.jpg.4c42ec9b60344f75919d596b0f4f5953.jpg

I've no idea if they are but I couldn't let them go in the bin. Any ideas? 

Takes me back a long way, but yes they do look like A35 sills.

Popped out at lunchtime to get some new rear tyres for the Puma. Good service from a tyre place shocker:

"If you're replacing the rears shall we put the new ones on the front and move the fronts to the rear?"

Yes please, saves me having to do it later.

They then asked me what I wanted the wheel nuts torqued to and checked the pressure of the tyres they moved to the rear.

IMG_20220329_135629.thumb.jpg.8af0c061055d6dc31c9eb27a42ee8a0f.jpg

Took the two guys ten minutes and they were the cheapest in the area. Andy's Tyres, Llandygai Industrial Estate, Bangor - I'll certainly be going there again.

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Popped out at lunchtime to get some new rear tyres for the Puma. Good service from a tyre place shocker:

"If you're replacing the rears shall we put the new ones on the front and move the fronts to the rear?"

They then asked me what I wanted the wheel nuts torqued to and checked the pressure of the tyres they moved to the rear.

Took the two guys ten minutes and they were the cheapest in the area. Andy's Tyres, Llandygai Industrial Estate, Bangor - I'll certainly be going there again.

Believe it or not the new tyres are supposed to be on the back, so the back doesn't break away, and tyre pressures and torqueing wheels should be standard practice.

Ironically, at least I think it's ironic, it's a very misunderstood word, no more than 16 hours after Favorit passed its test Felicia FTP'd.

Mrs Yoss left for work at 6.30 this morning. It's my day off but I still like to take the dog for an early walk, but not quite that early but ten minutes later the phone rings. Felicia has just died three quarters of the way to work. It turns over but no signs of life. So I jump up and in to Favorit. By the time I arrive a passer by has helped Lorraine push it in to a parking space, fortunately it's one of the few areas en route that has unrestricted parking. 

So I dropped her off at work and decided it was too early so went home again, it's only about two miles away. Went back and had a look mid morning. Cheap code reader says no. I suspect lack of spark. Can't do any thing here but can't phone breakdown services as I said I'd pick Lorraine up when she'd finished and you never know how long these things take so I went home again. 

Then spent some time tidying the garage up as it was obvious I was going to have to get the Triumph out. 

Called breakdown after lunch. They took about an hour which isn't too bad these days and he came to the same conclusion as me so we A framed it home. Actually it's more of a T frame. 

IMG_20220329_161920.thumb.jpg.2bcca709f5f35799609acacf888ba46d.jpg

IMG_20220329_161806.thumb.jpg.33b2494232e3fcb486c3d1241c91ec15.jpg

IMG_20220329_162335_edit_863860921215058.thumb.jpg.6b87438a564a43adf3595abbd4454671.jpg

Once I got it home I have confirmed there is no spark. The rotor arm and dizzy cap don't look great but I wouldn't have thought they would cause sudden and immediate FTP. My guess would be the coil. I've already had to replace that once, about seven years ago, but it's kind of expected these days that replacement parts are shit and never last as long as the originals. 

Anybody have any other ideas of what causes sudden loss of spark? Is there anything obvious I'm overlooking. 

15 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

Believe it or not the new tyres are supposed to be on the back, so the back doesn't break away

That's recommended practice based on the assumption that Joe public can't handle the rear end breaking away. Not that I'm a driving god but I prefer having the best tyres on the front for maximum braking. There's pros and cons to both approaches.

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Anybody have any other ideas of what causes sudden loss of spark? Is there anything obvious I'm overlooking. 

Can not help much but have you checked that the coil gets power? When my Hyundai stopped with lost ignition, it was due to a wire to a coil that short-circuited and knocked out the fuse to the ignition.

3 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

There's one near me, on the A525 between Rhewl and Pentre Llanrhaeadr, a part worn place. They look up the torque setting themselves and the use kneeling mats!

Needless to say I go there first every time. 

25 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Can not help much but have you checked that the coil gets power? When my Hyundai stopped with lost ignition, it was due to a wire to a coil that short-circuited and knocked out the fuse to the ignition.

That's a good point. It's a square type coil with a three pin plug so I'll check that. I did push it and wiggle it but I'll take it off and inspect it. Not sure if it has a separate fuse but I have a wiring diagram, I'll have a look tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Ironically, at least I think it's ironic, it's a very misunderstood word, no more than 16 hours after Favorit passed its test Felicia FTP'd.

Mrs Yoss left for work at 6.30 this morning. It's my day off but I still like to take the dog for an early walk, but not quite that early but ten minutes later the phone rings. Felicia has just died three quarters of the way to work. It turns over but no signs of life. So I jump up and in to Favorit. By the time I arrive a passer by has helped Lorraine push it in to a parking space, fortunately it's one of the few areas en route that has unrestricted parking. 

So I dropped her off at work and decided it was too early so went home again, it's only about two miles away. Went back and had a look mid morning. Cheap code reader says no. I suspect lack of spark. Can't do any thing here but can't phone breakdown services as I said I'd pick Lorraine up when she'd finished and you never know how long these things take so I went home again. 

Then spent some time tidying the garage up as it was obvious I was going to have to get the Triumph out. 

Called breakdown after lunch. They took about an hour which isn't too bad these days and he came to the same conclusion as me so we A framed it home. Actually it's more of a T frame. 

IMG_20220329_161920.thumb.jpg.2bcca709f5f35799609acacf888ba46d.jpg

IMG_20220329_161806.thumb.jpg.33b2494232e3fcb486c3d1241c91ec15.jpg

IMG_20220329_162335_edit_863860921215058.thumb.jpg.6b87438a564a43adf3595abbd4454671.jpg

Once I got it home I have confirmed there is no spark. The rotor arm and dizzy cap don't look great but I wouldn't have thought they would cause sudden and immediate FTP. My guess would be the coil. I've already had to replace that once, about seven years ago, but it's kind of expected these days that replacement parts are shit and never last as long as the originals. 

if these are anything like the Favorit if its not the coil its very likely the crank position sensor

On 3/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, RobT said:

I can't imagine the VS would take too kindly to being laid up though...

The above comment is academic now as this morning it decided to self-immolate.  Electrical fire whilst parked up.

20220329_113719.thumb.jpg.c6d89013e23118f3d36d5da96eeecc31.jpg

20220329_113710.thumb.jpg.e3ee331d754fcebd3b5b3f6e4c28493d.jpg

Source of it was the boot, and I can only assume some wiring in the leccy handbrake or something else set it off.  Very strange and it was fine last night when I drove past it in the Xedos.  No one was hurt and no other vehicles involved, so that's something.  Off it goes on Friday for scrap as it's completely fucked.  Glad I haven't got any insurance shite to deal with.

3 minutes ago, RobT said:

The above comment is academic now as this morning it decided to self-immolate.  Electrical fire whilst parked up.

Source of it was the boot, and I can only assume some wiring in the leccy handbrake or something else set it off.  Very strange and it was fine last night when I drove past it in the Xedos.  No one was hurt and no other vehicles involved, so that's something.  Off it goes on Friday for scrap as it's completely fucked.  Glad I haven't got any insurance shite to deal with.

what a sad end, but could have been worse... scary shit like that can happen when a car just parked up

15 minutes ago, RobT said:

Renaults really don't like being parked do they. If its not Lagunas springs exploding overnight, they're spontaneously combusting in the street. Mental. 

26 minutes ago, RobT said:

Oh no! That’s sad news! I always hoped I’d have a shot at the Satis of many Shiters. 

1 hour ago, RobT said:

Sad times! That looks roughly like the handbrake module. It'll be one of the few things still powered on with the ignition off, so plausible. Also full of grease, so a stalled/failed motor from a relay that is stuck on I guess could get hot, grease leak in and then a spark from the motor turning ignite it.

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Renaults really don't like being parked do they. If its not Lagunas springs exploding overnight, they're spontaneously combusting in the street. Mental. 

Mental is the word. Just glad it didn't happen two weeks ago whilst in Normandy.  So I consider myself lucky.

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Sad times! That looks roughly like the handbrake module. It'll be one of the few things still powered on with the ignition off, so plausible. Also full of grease, so a stalled/failed motor from a relay that is stuck on I guess could get hot, grease leak in and then a spark from the motor turning ignite it.

Initially I thought it was one of 13 ECUs these things probably have, but never mind.  Back to running older stuff until the outer London ULEZ forces me to buy newer or run a W123 or something as a daily.

7 minutes ago, RobT said:

Initially I thought it was one of 13 ECUs these things probably have, but never mind.  Back to running older stuff until the outer London ULEZ forces me to buy newer or run a W123 or something as a daily.

The handbrake module is an ECU in its own right to be fair! 

Stuff like this is what stopped me doing my Renault diagnostic app. Just need to get someone blaming me for a fire after a quick scan and things suddenly get legally complex!

2 hours ago, RobT said:

Looks rather phuqued to me. Fantastique ☹️

At least the sorry fucker didn't cause any wider damage..!

I suppose the engineers* who designed it didn't expect it to last 280k miles so that's something... 🤷‍♂️

This is the one thats had about twenty registered keepers isn't it? 

So yeah, I got the 75 running again.  Turns out my theory was correct, amazingly - I ran a feed direct from the engine bay and Scotch Loked it onto the purple-and-white wire to the in-tank fuel pump.  Touched the end of the wire to the battery live and the pumps kicked in, turned the key and away it went.  Obvs not a permanent solution but at least it renders the car mobile.  I'm going to do a slightly better bodge tomorrow using thicker wire (the only bit I had which was long enough is on the thin side for running the pump, but I can nick a 12v feed from the wire that runs to the towbar relay, which is a lot thicker) and adding a switch so I can turn it on and off without opening the bonnet.  Obvs that's not a permanent solution and I'm also in contact with a chap on the Rover 75 forum who can supply a replacement ECU.

Slightly less success on the Mobylette front.  I extricated it from the garage yesterday and got it fired up easily enough, and fitted the exhaust mounting bolt I bought for it last year.  Today's task was to attempt to change the engine mounts (the right-hand one is pretty knackered and it's allowing the engine to sit on the piss).  Unfortunately my attempts failed - it turns out that the engine mounting bolt (a single 150mm long M8 which runs through a hole in the cylinder head from which the engine hangs) has got bent at some point in the 25 years since I fitted the current engine, so it would come out part way but then a bent bit of bolt would hit a straight bit of tubing and it'd get stuck.  I'm not really sure where to go from here - I can't really get in there with a hacksaw to chop the bolt up, and anyway I'd need to buy new spacers etc which might be awkward to find.  The bike will still run as it is, but obviously having the engine at an angle to the rest of the drivetrain isn't ideal either from the point of view of efficiency or drive belt wear.

I've also been trying to figure out the wiring.  I wired the thing up 25 years ago with the help of a mate and although it all worked at the time (by some miracle), most of it has since come apart (switches have fallen to bits and wires that were twisted together and held with electrical tape have come apart) and I can't for the life of me figure out what I did back in the day.  The multimeter is of limited help - it doesn't seem to be able to cope with the magneto's output.  It's probably going to end up being trial and error.  I'm not sure about the indicators either - the original set up has front and rear indicators flashing alternately (like on some Vespas) and while the original flasher unit is still present, I'm not sure whether a standard indicator switch will cope properly with the alternating setup.  I might have to fit a "standard" electronic flasher unit and LED bulbs in the rear indicators - I'm assuming the alternating setup was done because the magneto's output couldn't cope with powering both indicators plus potentially the headlight, tail light and brake light.

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I suppose the engineers* who designed it didn't expect it to last 280k miles so that's something... 🤷‍♂️

This is the one thats had about twenty registered keepers isn't it? 

Indeed, it had a decent innings and what a way to go.  16 previous owners on the V5, and I'd guess 13 of those are shiters.

Scrap man has offered me £500 for it.  Unbelievable.