The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

40 minutes ago, Bren said:

The vectra got a 12 month ticket.

I fitted a pair of drop links last weekend and restored the headlights.

It's done well but I am mindful it is 15 years old and on 152k - if I see a suitable replacement in the future I will move it on.

I think yours is the same age as ours Bren, 2007, its just gone past 190k and still seems to be running well - really ought to do another cambelt change in the near future to keep the old girl going.

3 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I think yours is the same age as ours Bren, 2007, its just gone past 190k and still seems to be running well - really ought to do another cambelt change in the near future to keep the old girl going.

Ours runs like a swiss watch - only issue is the lacquer is starting to peel in a few places despite being washed and polished. It must be age.

Have you a pic of yours?

Forgot to do a collection mission or thread on my new car so here it is

Its an '03 V70 2.4 petrol with the badermatic box.

20220320_145605.thumb.jpg.7d875aeea40e929dbb2ef12d581f2927.jpg

I've been doing a few jobs to it since picking it up over the weekend and it's pretty much sorted now, I've fitted a new wiper motor and linkage as it was the noisiest I've ever heard, removed the front bumper and o/s headlight as some tosser* dropped a bulb into the lamp and there was no way of retrieving it.

I've fitted a Bluetooth module (one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VYTXR34/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_T0D8SX39EXMKJQERYBSJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) which was a doddle to fit and allows full streaming and hands free telephony whilst allowing the standard buttons to be used to control every thing, the best and easiest one I have ever fitted to any car (and ive done a few) by far, the dolby Pro logic system stills sounds awesome these days.

I've run the wiring through the car and connected it up to the reverse light power feed for my aftermarket sensor kit (I'll complete the sensor install at the weekend)

All that's left to do is a full service and cambelt change which I'll do once I've been paid.

Its a lovely old thing to drive and just wafts around, its really ckean and tidy, everything works (bar the drivers heated seat, but I will fix it) the aircon is freezing and there's no warning lights apart from the usual alarm service required (which is a dead battery in the alarm sounder, which I probably won't fix, but in hindsight I probably will!)

*me

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

Ours runs like a swiss watch - only issue is the lacquer is starting to peel in a few places despite being washed and polished. It must be age.

Have you a pic of yours?

The only pic I can find is crap - its behind our daughters old Swift, looking filthy and its got its winter wheels/tyres on it. I really must take some better pics one day.

1234111710_20220124_133634(1).thumb.jpg.321190e7831241e236790461594c5d95.jpg

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I am now officially down to one usable car (the Toyota) - the Laguna has now developed an intermittent sticky front brake.  I'm not sure I can be arsed to try and free it up, especially as it's the windy type - a new caliper is 50 quid so I'll probably just bung one of those on.  Hopefully the V5C for the Doblo will turn up in the next couple of days and I can then tax that and press it into daily duties.

Well on the way home from work it drove perfectly - no rumbling noises, no smell of hot brake pads, and when I got home the driver's side front wheel was stone cold.

I bloody hate intermittent faults.  At least if something's permanently fucked it's easy to diagnose.

4 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

What are Volvo auto's like to live with? 

Without wanting to jinx myself they are really good, both my new one and the FiL's s80 have been to the moon and back but they are still quiet, smooth and effortless, at this price they are just disposable, if there are any major failures it'll get bridged, I'm not sure I'd want an expensive one as you are pretty much stuck to paying to fix any big bills (but thats the same for any car) but as a banger they make a lot of sense.

15 hours ago, Popsicle said:

The only pic I can find is crap - its behind our daughters old Swift, looking filthy and its got its winter wheels/tyres on it. I really must take some better pics one day.

1234111710_20220124_133634(1).thumb.jpg.321190e7831241e236790461594c5d95.jpg

Ahhh...... Chequered roof Swift 🤔

I have lakapeel/pimples appearing on SuziQ roof.....

Decisions, decisions >>> Rustoleum/Tractor paint + roller

😉

IMG_20220325_140633.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I put on seat covers on the Vivaro today and this was a big improvement.

20220325_124513.thumb.jpg.b21225ddfb76779357da8855924ac999.jpg

20220325_152949.thumb.jpg.082cd07b21ecda2e73955580b8da55fb.jpg

We did that to my brother in law's Trafic. The seat frame was so worn out that the metalwork was poking through. I don't know why the standard seats are so flimsy?

3 minutes ago, grogee said:

We did that to my brother in law's Trafic. The seat frame was so worn out that the metalwork was poking through. I don't know why the standard seats are so flimsy?

Mine is 18 years old and has almost 300,000 km on it so seat wear is to be expected. But the use they are exposed to probably means a lot to the seats.