The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Had a 2nd go at my inop/dribbly washer jets this afternoon. The £4.99 brand new pair from ebay were just as shit, so I've had the old ones soaking in de scaler for a few weeks now. 

Swapped them back over and boom, work perfectly again! The new ones were at a different angle when fitted so hit the bonnet first it seems. Thrown those in the bin now, cheap crap

Gave the Sierra a wash today after rubbing a bit of surface rust off the underneath from the driveshafts back. Kurust and then a coating of Screwfix red lead (no lead). Another coat tomorrow and the underseal-then onto the middle. 

Underneath not bad though after last years welding fest!

si 1.JPG

4 hours ago, MR SCRUFF said:

Rumbling along the A1M just south of Peterborough about 8am this morning. I felt like I'd briefly entered a time portal - overtaken by two Citroen BX, one a LHD E reg the other a H plate, and then going the other way I shit you not a Subaru Brat!! Tell me please it was someone on here.

I think Practical Classics were doing a photo shoot at the Showground yesterday. 

Well the 75 still won't start, although we're now down to only two fault codes so that's progress I suppose.  There is a lot of verdigris on one of the connectors - I've ordered a box of tiny drill bits which I'm going to try and use to stick up in the holes and clean up the corrosion.  If that doesn't work then I'm not sure where I go - replacing the connector isn't a viable option as half the wiring loom would need to be ripped out, unless I cut the old one off and splice a new one in but there's about 30 wires going to that connector and I'm fucked if I'm going to splice together 30 wires.

Silver Civic is provisionally sold.

Red Civic needs paint - turns out the bodyshop  that did the rear arches were half arsed fuckwits and used the vinyl pinstripe to mask the paint off and didn't blend it at all, so there's a layer in it. Further to that, they burned through the paint on the edge of one wing with a DA, as well as damaging the pinstripe (how I found the bodgery), and there are dots of polish residue stuck on the car that is so tough I can't get it off. 
Both rear quarters need repainting again, and there's some further paint correction I want doing. 

image.thumb.png.58d078240edca15eee58bbe19a228352.png

Can't be having this. 

Coupe is edging closer to an MOT, it now has an exhaust and I'm just waiting on some bolts and front brake hoses so the rear suspension can be fitted and that'll be off for test. 

Got around to finally giving the Smart a quick wash, seeing how the soap dispenser was working...

hy.thumb.png.5f041ee9e7f38c6c1393ce1da0f08b4b.png 

Drive in enough to get the soap to launch at me, get covered then reverse back. Then use a brush on a stick to mop it about before jet washing it all off. 

Great thing to be doing at 4am...

News: Mondeo being comfy and reliable.

Volvo 740 waiting for some spare time and funds to get running after winter. I'm really looking forward to driving it again!

Pug 307 working well but has an oil leak. 

And, @Sunny Jimis selling my old BMW 325i touring... brings back fond memories!

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Well the 75 still won't start, although we're now down to only two fault codes so that's progress I suppose.  There is a lot of verdigris on one of the connectors - I've ordered a box of tiny drill bits which I'm going to try and use to stick up in the holes and clean up the corrosion.  If that doesn't work then I'm not sure where I go - replacing the connector isn't a viable option as half the wiring loom would need to be ripped out, unless I cut the old one off and splice a new one in but there's about 30 wires going to that connector and I'm fucked if I'm going to splice together 30 wires.

Chocolate block. If it's game over anyway you've got nothing to lose connecting those 30 wires. Who knows, if it works you might even get the soldering iron out...

I am now officially down to one usable car (the Toyota) - the Laguna has now developed an intermittent sticky front brake.  I'm not sure I can be arsed to try and free it up, especially as it's the windy type - a new caliper is 50 quid so I'll probably just bung one of those on.  Hopefully the V5C for the Doblo will turn up in the next couple of days and I can then tax that and press it into daily duties.

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

And home.

Yvonne is delighted with it. As am I. Cheers to @Jazolifor a perfectly described car and easy purchase, it drives brilliantly. Good to meet you as well.

20220324_165410.jpg

20220324_165422.jpg

I was wondering when you'd get back, glad you are happy with it and hopefully it will continue to be a reliable old beast, I'd happily have another but can't stomach the tax on an auto like your red one doing a couple of miles a day and I don't want a diesel one, it goes well doesn't it? 😀 

Yes it goes extremely well indeed, nice tight suspension too. I had to stop to put the roof up at Hamilton Services as my head was cold and I may have tested the 3rd gear acceleration just a touch, on the slip road back onto the motorway. I think its got a straight centre pipe as the exhaust looks standard but it's quite loud under load (in a good way).

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Glasgow Central. Where to go if you need to get the Big Trains.

20220324_094818.jpg

As a Southerner I love Glasgow Central station. It has an atmosphere few other stations can match. I used to do class 87s out of Euston a fair bit and if I got to Glasgow rather than just Crewe or Preston or Liverpool it was a proper day out. I used to love settling in to a first class mk3 (with a cheap weekend upgrade) with an 87 up front, knowing I was going to be there for five hours. Lovely. 

On the return the last train south left Glasgow at 17.10 (this was the late 80s) and arrived back at Euston about 25 minutes before the mail train left Waterloo for Southampton. There were later trains but we wanted the down mails as it was loco hauled. It had three passenger coaches tagged on the back of the mail coaches. So we'd be in the front coach approaching Euston, jump out before it had stopped (remember when you could do that?) leg it down to the Underground, jump on in the best coach for alighting at Waterloo and leg it upstairs again. We almost always made it. Good times. 

40 minutes ago, Bren said:

The vectra got a 12 month ticket.

I fitted a pair of drop links last weekend and restored the headlights.

It's done well but I am mindful it is 15 years old and on 152k - if I see a suitable replacement in the future I will move it on.

I think yours is the same age as ours Bren, 2007, its just gone past 190k and still seems to be running well - really ought to do another cambelt change in the near future to keep the old girl going.

3 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I think yours is the same age as ours Bren, 2007, its just gone past 190k and still seems to be running well - really ought to do another cambelt change in the near future to keep the old girl going.

Ours runs like a swiss watch - only issue is the lacquer is starting to peel in a few places despite being washed and polished. It must be age.

Have you a pic of yours?

Forgot to do a collection mission or thread on my new car so here it is

Its an '03 V70 2.4 petrol with the badermatic box.

20220320_145605.thumb.jpg.7d875aeea40e929dbb2ef12d581f2927.jpg

I've been doing a few jobs to it since picking it up over the weekend and it's pretty much sorted now, I've fitted a new wiper motor and linkage as it was the noisiest I've ever heard, removed the front bumper and o/s headlight as some tosser* dropped a bulb into the lamp and there was no way of retrieving it.

I've fitted a Bluetooth module (one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VYTXR34/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_T0D8SX39EXMKJQERYBSJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) which was a doddle to fit and allows full streaming and hands free telephony whilst allowing the standard buttons to be used to control every thing, the best and easiest one I have ever fitted to any car (and ive done a few) by far, the dolby Pro logic system stills sounds awesome these days.

I've run the wiring through the car and connected it up to the reverse light power feed for my aftermarket sensor kit (I'll complete the sensor install at the weekend)

All that's left to do is a full service and cambelt change which I'll do once I've been paid.

Its a lovely old thing to drive and just wafts around, its really ckean and tidy, everything works (bar the drivers heated seat, but I will fix it) the aircon is freezing and there's no warning lights apart from the usual alarm service required (which is a dead battery in the alarm sounder, which I probably won't fix, but in hindsight I probably will!)

*me

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

Ours runs like a swiss watch - only issue is the lacquer is starting to peel in a few places despite being washed and polished. It must be age.

Have you a pic of yours?

The only pic I can find is crap - its behind our daughters old Swift, looking filthy and its got its winter wheels/tyres on it. I really must take some better pics one day.

1234111710_20220124_133634(1).thumb.jpg.321190e7831241e236790461594c5d95.jpg

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I am now officially down to one usable car (the Toyota) - the Laguna has now developed an intermittent sticky front brake.  I'm not sure I can be arsed to try and free it up, especially as it's the windy type - a new caliper is 50 quid so I'll probably just bung one of those on.  Hopefully the V5C for the Doblo will turn up in the next couple of days and I can then tax that and press it into daily duties.

Well on the way home from work it drove perfectly - no rumbling noises, no smell of hot brake pads, and when I got home the driver's side front wheel was stone cold.

I bloody hate intermittent faults.  At least if something's permanently fucked it's easy to diagnose.

4 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

What are Volvo auto's like to live with? 

Without wanting to jinx myself they are really good, both my new one and the FiL's s80 have been to the moon and back but they are still quiet, smooth and effortless, at this price they are just disposable, if there are any major failures it'll get bridged, I'm not sure I'd want an expensive one as you are pretty much stuck to paying to fix any big bills (but thats the same for any car) but as a banger they make a lot of sense.

15 hours ago, Popsicle said:

The only pic I can find is crap - its behind our daughters old Swift, looking filthy and its got its winter wheels/tyres on it. I really must take some better pics one day.

1234111710_20220124_133634(1).thumb.jpg.321190e7831241e236790461594c5d95.jpg

Ahhh...... Chequered roof Swift 🤔

I have lakapeel/pimples appearing on SuziQ roof.....

Decisions, decisions >>> Rustoleum/Tractor paint + roller

😉

IMG_20220325_140633.jpg