The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

How to save fuel? 

Well, according to the experts* at Vanarama you should be driving with a bowl of water on the passenger seat. If you spill the water, you're wasting fuel by driving with lead feet!

So, when you do an emergency stop you need to clean up that spilled water somehow. Maybe drive to the local valet centre or leave it running for an hour with the heaters on. Yes that's going to save fuel isn't it 🤦

Yes, this is a real "article" and no, I don't think it's a windup..... 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/how-bowl-water-can-help-23323342

9 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The 75 still putting up a fight then!? Induction heater and one of those Irwin bolt grippers? 

Granted an induction heater isn't something you can magic out of thin air but maybe you know someone with one you could borrow? Failing the heat solution a bolt gripper might do on its own. 

(I think) you say you've tried various lengths of scaffold pole, have you been able to grab onto the bolt to no avail or does it slip/round off?

It rounded off with the original 15mm socket.  With the Irwin knock-off bolt gripper on there it'll stay on for longer - it withstood several seconds of me heaving on what was effectively a 4'6" bar before pinging off, during which time it'd cut some impressive grooves into the bolt head.

I don't think the bolt is going to go anywhere without the application of a more brutal set of tools than I have access to.

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How to save fuel? 

Well, according to the experts* at Vanarama you should be driving with a bowl of water on the passenger seat. If you spill the water, you're wasting fuel by driving with lead feet!

So, when you do an emergency stop you need to clean up that spilled water somehow. Maybe drive to the local valet centre or leave it running for an hour with the heaters on. Yes that's going to save fuel isn't it 🤦

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/how-bowl-water-can-help-23323342

I am a complete fool who only read the first half of it. 

"Drive AS IF you have a bowl of water" 🤦

Nevermind!

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How to save fuel? 

Apparently the newest version of the Bini has a virtual goldfish bowl in the trip computer - you can turn it on and then try to drive without slopping the virtual water out of it.  If you manage to reach your destination without spilling all the water the virtual goldfish will do a backflip of gratitude.

I really wish I were making this up.

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It rounded off with the original 15mm socket.  With the Irwin knock-off bolt gripper on there it'll stay on for longer - it withstood several seconds of me heaving on what was effectively a 4'6" bar before pinging off, during which time it'd cut some impressive grooves into the bolt head.

I don't think the bolt is going to go anywhere without the application of a more brutal set of tools than I have access to.

Right. That sounds like a complete bastard, especially on the roadside

Forgive my ignorance if there's a reason you've already mentioned that prevents you from undoing the track rod end, lower ball joint and driveshaft (well, and the brake caliper) and liberating it as a knuckle + strut assembly then swapping the spring that way? Therefore not needing to touch the pinch bolt?

Edit to add - 

I went with a similar method on a BMW 330 once, I didn't fancy touching the dog bone type control arms they have on the front at the knuckle end as they didn't look too interested in moving, so I took the entire corner of suspension out (bloody heavy with it all attached though mind!) And swapped the spring out that way. 

Not relevant here but just adding it in anyway to complete the "story" - If I remember correctly one of the bushes had a non threaded sleeved section and the unhappy looking side had a threaded inner sleeve so that's why I opted not to touch it incase it wrecked the bushes. 

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Apparently the newest version of the Bini has a virtual goldfish bowl in the trip computer - you can turn it on and then try to drive without slopping the virtual water out of it.  If you manage to reach your destination without spilling all the water the virtual goldfish will do a backflip of gratitude.

I trust you're not taking the wee wee and will look this up 😂

Assuming that's some sort of emmissions control effort by means of encouraging fuel conservation

24 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Forgive my ignorance if there's a reason you've already mentioned that prevents you from undoing the track rod end, lower ball joint and driveshaft (well, and the brake caliper) and liberating it as a knuckle + strut assembly then swapping the spring that way? Therefore not needing to touch the pinch bolt?

The ball joint bolt has rounded off as well.

The only way to do it would be to take the entire assembly off including the wishbone.  That is of course assuming that I can get the wishbone off.  And the caliper bolts undone.  And the trackrod and driveshaft out.

20 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The ball joint bolt has rounded off as well.

The only way to do it would be to take the entire assembly off including the wishbone.  That is of course assuming that I can get the wishbone off.  And the caliper bolts undone.  And the trackrod and driveshaft out.

Argh, what a nightmare...!

I wish you the best of luck whichever method you end up doing to get it done

I'd fear even if the pinch bolt came out after all, how hard would it be to get the shocker out of the knuckle given how fucked everything else is :(  

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

A few years back I was doing a house removal nearby.  The customer had a side job of trading in LPG powered Merc Sprinters so we had a couple of them to use alongside our Luton.  On one run the fishtank needed transporting and he suggested putting it on the passenger seat of one of his vans.  The lad I was working with got a very wet arse on that run.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

initial-d-water.gif.c3b08ccfc7558468ceb12902cb564bab.gif

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What year is this on ,? I haven't seen it on MrsV8'S Bini.

I bought this last night.

20220309_131736.thumb.jpg.8857ee4d15366fa97d08ec42d31ffdaa.jpg

It's done a lot of miles, but it's the relatively bulletproof 8-valve 1.9 JTD and it runs and drives fine.  It's massive in the back too, and it has a towbar, plus it should be fairly good on fuel if the similarly-engined Stilo I once owned is anything to go by.  I don't have any particular need for it, but a mate's brother in law was selling it at a price I couldn't refuse, and I've wanted to try one ever since I had a dream one night years ago that I'd bought a brand new one (although that was a boggo non-turbo 1.9D panel van in appliance white with keep fit windows).  Yes, I do know I'm odd.

Another cheap part turned up for the BX I dragged home the other weekend.

771C860B-A323-4B9F-9512-7E514B86B05D.thumb.jpeg.2115986da7126aa74d84eda9e71da1e0.jpeg

Of course this meant I had to immediately fit both bits together for no reason.

3FB78B64-DD7F-48E0-A25F-94682A68AFAD.thumb.jpeg.d6f2d7c2ac033caf62673c7b3e880537.jpeg

That’s everything I need to sort the exhaust then, minus clamps and rubbers which I can grab at the local motor factor.

The only thing holding me up now is that yesterday I found out that I have covid so I’ve got to sit around at home for a bit until I’m allowed to play outside again.

9 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I saw this picture earlier. That's a new one on me I can't imagine that's the best way to transport a car unless there's no fluids in them.

No photo description available.

They did exactly that. Those are all brand new cars out the factory. Can't remember which yank car but I'm sure others will know off the top of their heads. 

27 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I saw this picture earlier. That's a new one on me I can't imagine that's the best way to transport a car unless there's no fluids in them.

No photo description available.

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

They did exactly that. Those are all brand new cars out the factory. Can't remember which yank car but I'm sure others will know off the top of their heads. 

Chevrolet Vega.

I remember seeing an article about that mode of transport for them a few years ago.

No. I don't retain any useful information.

It's done a lot of miles, but it's the relatively bulletproof 8-valve 1.9 JTD and it runs and drives fine.  It's massive in the back too, and it has a towbar, plus it should be fairly good on fuel if the similarly-engined Stilo I once owned is anything to go by.  I don't have any particular need for it, but a mate's brother in law was selling it at a price I couldn't refuse, and I've wanted to try one ever since I had a dream one night years ago that I'd bought a brand new one (although that was a boggo non-turbo 1.9D panel van in appliance white with keep fit windows).  Yes, I do know I'm odd.

That’s ace! I’m really tempted by these. Like an uglier and therefore more suitable berlingo 

You've won at life. Turbocharged Italian missile. 

Knicker elastic is snapping as I type. 

(Genuinely useful thing though, I'd love one)

11 minutes ago, Talbot said:

A really badly taken photo.  The shutter speed is too slow, the white balance is off and the angle suggests it was taken in a hurry.

Also looks like a TVR being loaded by a JCB loadall into a curtainsider, while someone objects..

10 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

A TVR about to flatten Ed Sheeran?

Which model?