The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Did some more VAG Turd Polishing last night.

Used some vanish on the minging interior to try bringing it up to an acceptable standard to sit on. Seats are still wet so not fully sure how it's come out yet. But initially looks better. Needs a pro going over it really.
6fb7408727623431dfef2922ff872523.jpg

34db5a333d24a967c82c17086b37fd5e.jpg6e6edc9c93a5ee1b40a55ef6b1aab274.jpg745c3f151501e52b7946037374cd195f.jpg

Nice to see an A4 that hasn't got it's soft touch buttons completely worn off too
6a86cca11fb42940e58da84bacade7e1.jpg

The warning triangle cover in the boot is broken and rattles around. As usual with this age VAG, it's full of crap thin plastic. In this case it's snapped off and no easy way to fix. Perfect time for a reusable cable tie.
d2a2d565e45c31119f9915973bba8e12.jpg
baebe5db4fb89dcdc2b515a7b28a571e.jpg

Next up was the glovebox. The lid falls off when you open it. Hinge is broken - TADIS. Removal of the glovebox was 5x 8mm bolts.
f00a76649bbf2b832966b4d4e0546140.jpg

The hinge breaks because the soft close damper siezes up and puts too much load on the hinge+lid. Of course the design being too weak is another shit point too.
ebd5d164ff0028433c580bdd62d29923.jpg
006e268b219a67b23aec6e9fe45fed3b.jpg

I paid twice the price for the "better" repair kit. Tbh I can't see it was much better than cheaper kits and won't bother again.
f5e4e13018eecadf611e74e9830406d9.jpg

Hinges came out by knocking these pins out.
1afde7115d6ae03eaec66271507ed13c.jpg

Bodge kit is essentially a bent bit of metal that you screw self tappers into the plastic underneath.
98de9378e48b361e58d577e2179e0ff0.jpg

The internet suggests making a hole in the back to put lube down.
72e20df6150b1424df1b2eff28d5edf5.jpg

I then took it apart to see how it worked. Basically it's a tube with a seal in. At this point I realised making a hole in it is stupid as it looses the damping effect. Oh well, at least it won't break again.
54b2509e3d30aedaa09970994f8b33ad.jpg
c1da91cef9856829dc6c3ead7bd587fa.jpg

I stuck lube down it anyway and put it all back together.
f2ae37282eea2313236f87b1f452ec4d.jpg

Glove box then just pops back in. Interesting to note how easy it is to access most of the blend flap arms. On many cars are a nightmare.
b22d6499f202f5ad544509659ea64a5c.jpg
7e14248ecd06abdb848f084726f5e8c2.jpg

A new drivers side window regulator arrived too. A fifteen quid eBay special, so we will see how awful it ends up being to fit.
03e03ba46e9945ae463a369900a7ba00.jpg

Interesting that the repair* kit for the classic A4 glovebox broken hinge involves a piece of bendy metal. I made my own equivalent for one of my B6s a few years back with a bracket, decent adhesive and some self tappers. I'd forgotten how the B7 interior is near-as-damnit the same as the B6 too. Still like them though. 

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm really after something I haven't had before, and the only model of Saab I haven't owned is the new shape 9-5, which is still fetching (what I consider to be) steep money at the moment.

In that case you have to have one of these. Sorry, that's all you're allowed. 

dodge-caliber.png

54 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I'd forgotten how the B7 interior is near-as-damnit the same as the B6 too. Still like them though. 

I thought you hated VAG? 🤣

B8 is much better and more durable product than the B6/B7. Instead of soft touch coating on the plastics, they have more modern soft touch finish into the moulding. So you don't get any of that wear as there is no coating to come off. Likewise the interior is much more beefed up durability wise and takes abuse much better. Engines, especially the diesels have far less potential to nuke themselves too. Also a lot more refined. Early diesels have much worse fuel economy but the later ones they fixed that. Electrics are a bit more complex but more solid and not exposed to water.

23 minutes ago, SiC said:

I thought you hated VAG? 🤣

B8 is much better and more durable product than the B6/B7. Instead of soft touch coating on the plastics, they have more modern soft touch finish into the moulding. So you don't get any of that wear as there is no coating to come off. Likewise the interior is much more beefed up durability wise and takes abuse much better. Engines, especially the diesels have far less potential to nuke themselves too. Also a lot more refined. Early diesels have much worse fuel economy but the later ones they fixed that. Electrics are a bit more complex but more solid and not exposed to water.

Pm incoming 

20 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I'm getting a bit bored of the Micra now that I'm commuting in it every day again. It's competant on the road- but not very comfortable, there's now a clonk in the nearside rear, the front crossmember is rotten from the inside out and the suspension is stiff. The trouble is, once I stop driving it for a month or two, I'll like it again and, economically, there's zero reason for me to get rid of it.

I feel similarly about my 205 at times.

Mainly because when I set out to buy something in October I meant to get something like an estate! I had to take both wheels off my mountain bike to fit it in there today.

It's hilarious to drive and cheap to run but oh so smol.

2 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I feel similarly about my 205 at times.

Mainly because when I set out to buy something in October I meant to get something like an estate! I had to take both wheels off my mountain bike to fit it in there today.

It's hilarious to drive and cheap to run but oh so smol.

Wouldn't mind a 205 sometime to be honest. Commuting 1 hour each way probably doesn't help my outlook on the car, although the 4 hour trip I make to college in it goes well enough, albeit noisily.

Was supposed to be doing a collection this week!

Had had discussions over buying this fine piece of shite! 368A8B96-655B-422C-B24F-CEDD4A7D7B92.jpegCB1B05A9-CA36-4E0A-856D-C030A0E3AADE.jpeg06F69B5B-81AB-4179-A60F-8B400973D7A0.jpeg80A0196C-B50B-4B07-B2C9-DC2E7933E692.jpeg

Story is that the garage which looks after some of my cars had this in for MoT and whilst it was with them the fella passed away. So it was sat in their yard. The family said they wanted it gone, and the garage fella asked if I wanted it… erm that’ll be a hell yeah! 

Price was discussed and agreed in line with what the daughter had originally said and he said he would confirm with the deceased’s family and pass her my number to discuss direct… but silence… 

Turns out she got a better price (£500 more than I’d agreed) from someone else. I was Gazumped!! I only found out when I saw it parked outside a house on Tuesday! I thought I was collecting this week!

Thats one which has slipped through my fingers. 

14 hours ago, Jamie said:

Seeing as the logbook has come back for the tt, I can now actually spend the money I've got in the roffle pot. 

Spunked it on an Z4. It's a bit rough. 

No mot

Noisy tappets 

No brakes 

Christmas tree dash

Mould everywhere 

It's only done 80k though so how bad can it be 💁

20220217_064017.jpg

I don't miss mine!

Got an odd problem. Changed the alternator belt on the FIL's Ignis a couple of weeks ago after it shredded itself. It started squeaking so I tightened it a bit - but it was still squealing and now it's snapped. Alternator and water pump spin freely so what's going on?

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Got an odd problem. Changed the alternator belt on the FIL's Ignis a couple of weeks ago after it shredded itself. It started squeaking so I tightened it a bit - but it was still squealing and now it's snapped. Alternator and water pump spin freely so what's going on?

Have a look at the pulleys from above and see if they're properly lined up.

If there's a harmonic balancer in the crank pulley and it's failed it can cause it to step out of line and put extra stress on the belt.

Here's the one from my Xantia where the outer of the pulley had "walked" towards frame left (they're facing each other in the photo).

IMG_20220225_114013.thumb.jpg.1efe413eaeb4633d2f64962943bcdebc.jpg

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Have a look at the pulleys from above and see if they're properly lined up.

Cheers - it has two belts - an outer that does PAS and the inner one that does water pump and alternator which has failed twice. I wonder if the alternator has failed bearings so becomes hard to turn when under side load?

On 20/02/2022 at 11:33, MrGTI6 said:

Great news! It took a bit of cranking, but the Berlingo eventually clattered into life. No Lynx required, just a set of jump leads hooked up to my trusty 306! Now running sweet after a few seconds of lumpiness. 

Obviously the battery was dead flat, but I'm satisfied with the condition and levels of fluid, etc., so will leave it running for an hour to get up to temp. 

@Cookiesouwest, I will report back in an hour or so on whether or not the battery will hold a charge. The date on the battery is 2005 so I'm not holding out too much hope, but you never know!

if you close your eyes you could be listening to a Class31 start up video 🤣