The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The other ones I've mocked up are these marvellous* brown and white AutoShite pens with the tagline/slogan as well. These are a sort of wraparound decal printing highly sophistimacated doowhacky thing. :)

image.thumb.png.80d7995766d71c9b59247fe6365c3290.png 

I was leaving to get a flight for work at 4.45am this morning and as I got in the car I heard a ripping noise from the arse department . 
RIP trousers 

Not what you want on the way to a flight at 5 am. At least they didnt rip getting onto the plane .

6042B8CA-5D61-4412-BF7B-ECED13262A96.jpeg.0a817ac5f1d3b83417e01c33ce9070fc.jpeg

23 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The other ones I've mocked up are these marvellous* brown and white AutoShite pens with the tagline/slogan as well. These are a sort of wraparound decal printing highly sophistimacated doowhacky thing. :)

This actually looks good. And I do not know why but the combination of brown and orange makes me think of Fortschritt ZT320 / 323 tractors.

2038351572_Screenshot2022-02-1512_53_39.thumb.png.4bb2f66394251791e5be7cea0e20abb7.png

7 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This actually looks good. And I do not know why but the combination of brown and orange makes me think of Fortschritt ZT320 / 323 tractors.

Thanks! I was trying to find beige pens that weren't their "recyclable print in B&W" range but it seems there's no demand for beige pens on Vista Print. Maybe we could start a new market sector? 🤣

38 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I was leaving to get a flight for work at 4.45am this morning and as I got in the car I heard a ripping noise from the arse department . 
RIP trousers 

Not what you want on the way to a flight at 5 am. At least they didnt rip getting onto the plane .

I had something similar happen once as I was stepping into a XJ6 X300 I was looking to purchase.  Full on structural failure of the seams of my jeans

44 minutes ago, cort16 said:

RIP trousers 

Good curry last night?

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I think there's some mileage in  this. I've  seen other companies offering very cheap quotes for 250. But as you say Beige is a stumbling block.

See if it passes management.  I don't see 250 as a problem if the price is low enough to sell 10 at a time.

If sales are poor, Roffle  50 

1 minute ago, Mally said:

I think there's some mileage in  this. I've  seen other companies offering very cheap quotes for 250. But as you say Beige is a stumbling block.

See if it passes management.  I don't see 250 as a problem if the price is low enough to sell 10 at a time.

If sales are poor, Roffle  50 

Those pens in the quote are minimum order of 100, so about £54.00 to get a box worth. Will have to clear with AS Management and then household management (my Mum) since I doubt she'll want a billion pens hanging about the house when I've already tried to justify the laptops. 🤣

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Those pens in the quote are minimum order of 100, so about £54.00 to get a box worth. Will have to clear with AS Management and then household management (my Mum) since I doubt she'll want a billion pens hanging about the house when I've already tried to justify the laptops. 🤣

Yes, it's the package and postage that's the problem, that's why I'm thinking sell 10 at a time maybe.

Does your mum mind nipping to the Post Office every couple of days?

I can maybe help* with the cost, as long as you don't order a billion. But I ain't having any of the hassle.

'My pen won't work'.  There was only 9 in the pack', 'They delivered them next door, 'You promised them by Thursday, wheres my parcel?

Be perfect for the Primary schoolteachers on here. Why does your pen say Autoshite? I'm going to tell my Mum.

Just now, Mally said:

Does your mum mind nipping to the Post Office every couple of days?

Aye that's fine, I do that anyway with buying and selling for eBay most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Mally said:

'My pen won't work'.  There was only 9 in the pack', 'They delivered them next door, 'You promised them by Thursday, wheres my parcel?

I'll need to work on my customer service to deal with that. :D

I need to put some thought into this for a start. For that reason, it's maybe better to wait until I've got life stuff out of the way - so next month or even April would be a better time for me. :)

3 hours ago, cort16 said:

RIP trousers 

Do you buy your trousers from the same place you buy your cars?

The Elgrand saga rumbles on… so the fan belt snappage also whacked the camshaft position sensor. Which in turn has also broken the connector plug for the CPS. The garage has sourced the sensor, but can’t seem to source the plug. Nowhere seems to list a plug for the Elgrand specifically. So I’m wondering if one’s with the same engine code will work… 

In the meantime, the MoT is expiring this week. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

The Elgrand saga rumbles on… so the fan belt snappage also whacked the camshaft position sensor. Which in turn has also broken the connector plug for the CPS. The garage has sourced the sensor, but can’t seem to source the plug. Nowhere seems to list a plug for the Elgrand specifically. So I’m wondering if one’s with the same engine code will work… 

In the meantime, the MoT is expiring this week. 

There's a fantastic facebook group called "Automotive connector identifying". Put a picture of the broken connector up and some vehicle details and someone will tell you exactly what it is.

After 2 years and 11 months having been made redundant from my job as a mechanic, tomorrow I start a new job as a mechanic...at the same place. They got in contact with me, and well...it's much better pay than I was on maintaining that stock is maintained for customers of a multi-billion pound business. (That sounds better than saying, stacking shelfs at the local Tesco)

I'm somewhat a bag of nerves about it as I feel I recall nothing! 😬

Wish me luck tomorrow night! 😂

Reverted to night owl mode. 

3am this morning and I've just spent the last hour learning about audio time alignment. 

It's because I'm one of those people who reads manuals when he buys something. I like to see if things can do cool stuff. 

This led to me sitting in the car at 3am measuring the distance from my ears to each speaker in the car. With a tape measure, a pen and paper, and some audiogeekery website with a magic calculator that works out how long sounds will take to get to my old cloth ears. 

It's literally to do with the speed of sound. 

Anyway, it turns out there's nearly a millisecond of delay between sounds from the left front speaker and the right front reaching my head. 

A millisecond isn't much in the grand scheme of things admittedly, but if you can delete that delay by adjusting the speaker timing to compensate then things mysteriously sound much better (to the listener whose ears are in the correct listening position).

Anyway, it turns out the stereo in the car can do this voodoo, but it is hidden deep in menus nobody other than people like me ever look at.

It works, too. Better than I expected it to. It isn't even a particularly modern or expensive unit. It's a £130 Alpine CDA-193BT job. As the car has a DAB aerial but no DAB radio I'm guessing they've taken the good stereo out and got this from Halfords or summat. 

This is what happens when you RTFM. 

I have a JVC stereo that can do that, I'll be honest I couldn't really hear the difference. Well, maybe?

The thing I found made the biggest difference was the various EQ presets which put the Volvo Premium Sound System EQ controls to shame!

It also has an overly complicated pivot system for the faceplate to allow you to adjust the angle of it, the same motors move it out of the way to allow you to eject CDs, unfortunately there seems to be a slipping belt or something so it needs a helping hand.

I might put it in the Volvo for a bit, I had it in the C2 until I sold that, I could put it in the 205 but the location would be really awkward for ejecting CDs.

4 hours ago, Pete-M said:

Reverted to night owl mode. 

3am this morning and I've just spent the last hour learning about audio time alignment. 

It's because I'm one of those people who reads manuals when he buys something. I like to see if things can do cool stuff. 

This led to me sitting in the car at 3am measuring the distance from my ears to each speaker in the car. With a tape measure, a pen and paper, and some audiogeekery website with a magic calculator that works out how long sounds will take to get to my old cloth ears. 

It's literally to do with the speed of sound. 

Anyway, it turns out there's nearly a millisecond of delay between sounds from the left front speaker and the right front reaching my head. 

A millisecond isn't much in the grand scheme of things admittedly, but if you can delete that delay by adjusting the speaker timing to compensate then things mysteriously sound much better (to the listener whose ears are in the correct listening position).

Anyway, it turns out the stereo in the car can do this voodoo, but it is hidden deep in menus nobody other than people like me ever look at.

It works, too. Better than I expected it to. It isn't even a particularly modern or expensive unit. It's a £130 Alpine CDA-193BT job. As the car has a DAB aerial but no DAB radio I'm guessing they've taken the good stereo out and got this from Halfords or summat. 

This is what happens when you RTFM. 

You could do this with my Kenwood. Also setting it up for size of speakers, length of car etc. Can't do it now, it's sitting in the wardrobe ready to go in another shite car. 😆

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

You could do this with my Kenwood. Also setting it up for size of speakers, length of car etc. Can't do it now, it's sitting in the wardrobe ready to go in another shite car. 😆

I think my JVC did all that too!

I think it was actually quite expensive when it was new, it has a ridiculously high resolution screen for how old it is, unless you tell it not to it plays random greyscale videos* while it's on.

29 minutes ago, reb said:

I think my JVC did all that too!

I think it was actually quite expensive when it was new, it has a ridiculously high resolution screen for how old it is, unless you tell it not to it plays random greyscale videos* while it's on.

That's very cool! My Kenwood isn't too old, but I didn't pay that much for it since it was in a sale of some sort.