The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Spurious said:

Renner Megane 4. With the frugal little 1.5dci, which seems to be one of the more reliable smol diesels. It's still got more than half of it's Renault warranty left so it seemed a safe bet. Was looking at the 17/18 plate ones but for not a lot more could get a 20 plate and they changed to a 5 year warranty from 3 years. Made sense. Plus Ms Spurious likes it. Which makes it easier.

Didn't pay list price got a good discount as I sneaked in that I knew it'd been sitting on the forecourt since November gone. 

IMG_20220211_162015.jpg

IMG_20220211_162002.jpg

My Uncle has the estate one. A twin turbo diesel apparently. Big cars nowadays.

Other than the lovely job on the 75 sills, not much has been happening with my fleet recently, they've all been getting used though.

Civic has a bit of water ingress into the boot so I'm working through all the known sources, not found it yet but I have a fair few tricks to try. I was talking of moving it on but it's just too good at being 'an car' for the Mrs so its staying for now.

75 just keeps ticking along , this is an ace car and I can't see me having a reason to sell it any time soon. 

The Saab is also great. It runs perfectly and has been giving good service this week. There's quite a few suspension graunches over bumpy roads though so it's long term future depends on what these show up as at the MOT in May. I plan just to drive the fuck out of it until then. 

The Audi has seen sparse use this year. I've only done 600 miles since its last oil change in June 2021.  I have a NSF caliper to fit as the existing one is binding badly. More annoying is the fact that the exhaust is blowing again. After all the bother I had late last year, this has dampened my enthusiasm for it. 

I'm really missing not having an old Vauxhall on fleet so we will see what comes up.......

9 hours ago, stuboy said:

hopefully google is right as bought 74mm and 14 sides

It's bloody maddening. Some of them have a hex on the bottom so you can just attach a socket and turn it. But when they don't there's 15 variations on diameter, flutes etc and they all do the same feckin job

There's literally no point designing and tooling a new part, but they all did anyway. Bastards. 

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Other than the lovely job on the 75 sills, not much has been happening with my fleet recently, they've all been getting used though.

Civic has a bit of water ingress into the boot so I'm working through all the known sources, not found it yet but I have a fair few tricks to try. I was talking of moving it on but it's just too good at being 'an car' for the Mrs so its staying for now.

75 just keeps ticking along , this is an ace car and I can't see me having a reason to sell it any time soon. 

The Saab is also great. It runs perfectly and has been giving good service this week. There's quite a few suspension graunches over bumpy roads though so it's long term future depends on what these show up as at the MOT in May. I plan just to drive the fuck out of it until then. 

The Audi has seen sparse use this year. I've only done 600 miles since its last oil change in June 2021.  I have a NSF caliper to fit as the existing one is binding badly. More annoying is the fact that the exhaust is blowing again. After all the bother I had late last year, this has dampened my enthusiasm for it. 

I'm really missing not having an old Vauxhall on fleet so we will see what comes up.......

I think I saw your old Corsa a couple of times this week at lunch. Once past the Helix and the other on Graham’s road. W*** LBL I think it was. Beardy fella driving it. 

Been under @Cluffy's Jag this morning, giving a dose of zinc primer after having the subframes marinate in rust juice. 

The feckin wind! I'm on the drive so crawling about on cardboard sheets but the wind keeps kicking them up and it's bleddy freezing too. 

Anyway there's rain due later so I don't think I'll get another coat on today, and tomorrow's supposed to be a washout so I think it'll be Monday before I get next coat on. 

3 hours ago, grogee said:

Been under @Cluffy's Jag this morning, giving a dose of zinc primer after having the subframes marinate in rust juice. 

The feckin wind! I'm on the drive so crawling about on cardboard sheets but the wind keeps kicking them up and it's bleddy freezing too. 

Anyway there's rain due later so I don't think I'll get another coat on today, and tomorrow's supposed to be a washout so I think it'll be Monday before I get next coat on. 

Much obliged....!

4 hours ago, grogee said:

+1 on the wind, it's fucking biting here in oxon 🍃

Spent the day tinkering with black betty the Sierra Hearse.

Rear inner driveshaft cv joint boot was split.

Had to remove the shaft,the fitted a stretch boot.

20220212_144042.thumb.jpg.c534d5c67c9ed4fdbfd91a0a3e395ab0.jpg

20220212_164139.thumb.jpg.b0ac2f1cd6a193d3bb49f379580a1620.jpg

Front brake hoses looked to be the originals(rears have been recently renewed)

No idea what these hoses were for,I had them on the shelf and they fitted,so another job ticked off

20220212_164237.thumb.jpg.a66c6fd9e0ba05c1a3c39ba113611029.jpg

Last the exhaust extention* had a rust hole in it,I didn't have a straight piece of pipe long enough,so bodged it with exhaust paste and a joiner.

20220212_164210.thumb.jpg.ecbde343606d1801f8df7b92e37dc9f0.jpg

Did a quick measure underneath and this car has had 22" added to its wheelbase.

20220212_164323.thumb.jpg.153a0d8801b972884de3a07a6152e91f.jpg

Still haven't driven it yet 🙄

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Aye that's big Steven. Good bloke, he's kept it nice.

Funnily enough as I walked down from Falkirk there was another post 97 B in red with a matt black boot sitting outside farm foods. It made me consider that a Corsa B is a lesser spotted car now and seeing two in five minutes was notable. 

3 hours ago, wesacosa said:

https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/julian-nowill-1960-2022/

a familiar name to a few on here no doubt, especially those with an interest in communist tat

aww thats sad to hear

Julian Nowill was the guy who founded the ICR, and he was pretty instrumental in convincing the Ministry in the 1990's when they where culling the last of the Villiers powered machines to offer some  Villiers machines to various motor museums, and ensuring that the Villiers machine would not go extinct as had been feared 

he was also one of the few people to have visited the DHSS's main stores back in the day while they where still operational  

I never had a chance to speak to him, but I had really hoped id be able to meet him someday and have a chat about what it was like to have been able to visit the main stores etc

he also kindly donated a few of Model 70 bits and bobs to the spares stash

RIP Julian

Think I might have just bought another car. Colleague is selling his 2006 A4 estate as he's just had a text to say his Tesla is ready for delivery. The Audi has just had its clutch+flywheel done. He's offered it at WBAC price and said somewhere between 1k and 1.5k.

Anyone want to buy a Fabia? 🤣

Well that was fun...we were lucky enough to be graced with a concert by Drums & Roses just now.  They were bloody awesome.

1403975831_IMG_20220212_2147192.thumb.jpg.1d9973a7b2011b7d5be3ad160103941b.jpg

My ears are still ringing, and that was with earplugs in to tone the volume down a bit!

We were meant to have a mini car show this afternoon, but heavy horizontal rain sadly put a damper on that.  Shame as I was hoping to get a closer look at the CX I spied in the car park yesterday.

2 hours ago, r.welfare said:

GM H-body; Chevrolet Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Starfire or Pontiac Sunbird from 1975-1980.  The squared-off chrome edge on the rear side window is unusual.

Yes.

I had already searched GM H body cars, but a bit more hunting this morning revealed a variant of the Buick Skyhawk called a "Skyhawk Road Hawk" has that vertical cut rear window. Strangely none of the pictures I have looked at have chrome window surrounds so maybe some of the black had peeled so the owner took the rest off like I did with my MG ZT-T sill trims.

Skyhawk.jpg

So, I've been on my new duty for three weeks now. Here are a few spots and observations. 

Firstly I've swapped my Peugeot Partner for a mk2 HCT. 

IMG_20220209_123210.thumb.jpg.d56ac2655dbdc461b5e6c2f7e4194118.jpg

It is utterly pogweaseled. 

IMG_20220209_123221.thumb.jpg.c3b471ceeb91dcb545eae37427d9923c.jpg

It is the oldest mk2 in the office but only by a couple of years, probably over ten years now, but none of the others have faded like this. 

Now you might think this is a demotion from a van but it's really not with our vans as they too are about ten years old and quite fucked. All that ever goes wrong with these is the odd brake cable (but I have two) and wheel bearing. 

And apart from the reliability I don't have to worry about whether it has been blocked in. Our yard isn't really big enough so some vans have to go down the middle and if these haven't been moved before you want to go out you have to go and find whose they are and get them moved. Also, I don't have to de ice the trolley and obviously I can't get the big packets in the trolley, there are separate drivers duties to cover the big packets (generally anything bigger than a shoe box) so that's another thing  I don't have to worry about. Best of all, I'm on my own. My previous duty was a shared a van and even if you have a good partner it's much more relaxed working on my own.  

So what have I found on the new delivery? 

IMG_20220207_102232.thumb.jpg.c4b7daee60733195e490062425091542.jpg

IMG_20220205_103411.thumb.jpg.bb5ec81906ccedecca5aa1d2f613caaa.jpg

IMG_20220209_120352.thumb.jpg.8bd6aa079e7ff630bfb0166afa7b39ee.jpg

This Celica is nearly as pogweaseled as my trolley. The picture doesn't really show it but every panel has some laquer peel and bits where the paint has worn down to the primer. 

IMG_20220209_123246.thumb.jpg.6b869f0a3f16e1116c843c22dbfc36c1.jpg

But this is the top find. It's unusual to find three cars of the same type on one drive, let alone the same colour and all within a year of each other. We have a 51, 02, and 52 reg. 

IMG_20220205_095239.thumb.jpg.c796be00f07897999afdc7ee5885354b.jpg

IMG_20220205_095225.thumb.jpg.61bf99e520fcbc054c152b2b35ce0d00.jpg

None of them look like they move, though the middle one was jacked up the other day, so work does happen. 

IMG_20220208_101101.thumb.jpg.ac02daf42e6f10c7fdaa5148eaaaa0c7.jpg

I need to start a conversation with the owner but they haven't been getting much mail. 

Opposite this house is the local swimming pool which has this Northern Counties Olympian being used as a cafe. 

IMG_20220207_095219.thumb.jpg.5d01a38ec32780364c4fdd6c2a338517.jpg

I should put this picture in the Bus Shite thread and somebody will tell me it's history. 

But weirdest of all is this really dull square block of four flats. 

IMG_20220209_105412.thumb.jpg.7b1ef588ee70114b44dcd27c78eb3ba4.jpg

Whose address is Quadrophenia. That's it. So I get mail addressed to flat 3, Quadrophenia. Then closer inspection shows it has a bit of scooter nailed to the wall over the door. 

IMG_20220209_105400.thumb.jpg.bbbe256623bbe6e3cf0fb1a1b4e219dd.jpg

Took me a week or so to notice this as I don't look up much. But really, who thought this was a good idea? There's no other references, it's a bog standard modern block, no other 60s themeing, we're 65 miles from Brighton and....just why....? 

If I ever get to own a crappy block of flats I'm going to call it The Third Man. Or Some Like It Hot. Or Muppet Treasure Island and nail Gonzo over the door. 

27 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Mate gave me his tpms he brought of amazon.. he complained it all it did was beep at him, so he said u have it.. there not pretty looking on the wheels.. but lets see if there crappy..

20220213_104623.jpg

20220213_105245.jpg

20220213_105458.jpg

I have always thought that having something like that would be good on a trailer, on a car you often feel a low tyre before it is totally flat but on a trailer that is not the case.