The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The CVT gearbox on my Dads Honda Jazz was juddering slightly when pulling away so was treated to an oil change and some magic additive in a big syringe that’s been recommended on various forums. It’s a super easy job to do on these and it seems to have done the trick, pulling away is now lovely and smooth. The oil that came out was in pretty good condition with no debris.  Apparently it’s good practice to replace the gearbox oil on these every 20k or so as they do have a habit of failing if neglected. 

64A1B43D-1C2B-4720-A250-BB6F832D39D2.jpeg

636F61FE-2B21-4DC4-8155-B6DCDF16AA2C.jpeg

494567DD-CE73-4BFF-9248-EF534823AE77.jpeg

36EBF555-3628-4E89-BD22-F06AEB23A6EA.jpeg

Went to an external meeting this morning, and got followed back most of the way home by a colleague. Who rang me not far into our journey to say I had 2 brake lights out! 

Got home trying not to brake at all and set about fixing it. Pass side was easy, new bulb but the high level light had gone too. Opened it all up and there's 5 little indicator style bulbs in there, and 1 had blown. Depsite traces running all over the shop this killed the whole thing. 

Luckily 1980s Hoover vacuums take the same bulb and I keep a stash of those so I have a full compliment of lights again. 

No idea how long they've been out for though 🤔

Haha, I have just received a facebook sponsored  ad called.

Rip Off Jaguar Land Rover.

Welcome to Rip Off Jaguar Land Rover? Here we will share our personal experiences of how purchasing a new Range Rover could not only be a bad financial decision but also potentially damaging to your health too. We are also exposing our supplying dealer (Vertu Motors plc) for their failures and arrogance towards our complaints.

https://www.facebook.com/ripoffjaguarlandrover/

You may remember this mildly shagged Berlingo M49 from October last year. 

An ex-Jazoli car. Accurately described, but still a bit of a gamble; think we settled on £300 in the end. 
It needed £420 to get through an MoT: most of that involved welding the seat rail back on to the floor pan where it had fallen off.
A horrible fuel filler neck fault was also repaired, Christmas occurred...and I finally got it back. 

I've since sourced a set of rear seats via an ex-colleague, who also put the rear seat belts back in. It has a set of (sort-of-matching) OEM wheel trims and a roller blind parcel shelf, which had to be ordered from Lithuania. A cambelt and water pump kit is on the way and a service is to be carried out. 

It would prove a useful thing to have around; there's a TU5JP4 under the bonnet, effectively a detuned 106 GTI/VTR/VTS engine, giving it a surprising turn of speed (and the ability to do 60 in second).   Unfortunately, the gear change, which was never especially brilliant, has now deteriorated to the point where I've lost fifth and reverse. I suspect the selector rod has either broken or failed; the bushes in the other rods aren't far behind, either. 

It'll be back in the garage shortly to have that issue  sorted, then I'll need to decide whether I want to keep it as a parts bus-cum-microcamper or move it along to help pay some bills. Things are not the same as they were last year. 

It's a strange car to price. It's scruffy but solid, there's no rust to speak of apart from surface corrosion on the arms and suspension and it will be pretty much sorted in the engine department. A mate has offered to chivvy the strangely butchered stereo wiring back together so it will be a decent, solid M49 with a long test when sorted.  I suspect if I did decide to move it on I wouldn't get many takers as I'd need a fair bit of change to justify the work. Prices seem all over the place and surviving M49 Multispaces seem rarer than the equivalent vans. 

IMG_20220205_173659.jpg

2 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

You may remember this mildly shagged Berlingo M49 from October last year. 

An ex-Jazoli car. Accurately described, but still a bit of a gamble; think we settled on £300 in the end. 
It needed £420 to get through an MoT: most of that involved welding the seat rail back on to the floor pan where it had fallen off.
A horrible fuel filler neck fault was also repaired, Christmas occurred...and I finally got it back. 

I've since sourced a set of rear seats via an ex-colleague, who also put the rear seat belts back in. It has a set of (sort-of-matching) OEM wheel trims and a roller blind parcel shelf, which had to be ordered from Lithuania. A cambelt and water pump kit is on the way and a service is to be carried out. 

It would prove a useful thing to have around; there's a TU5JP4 under the bonnet, effectively a detuned 106 GTI/VTR/VTS engine, giving it a surprising turn of speed (and the ability to do 60 in second).   Unfortunately, the gear change, which was never especially brilliant, has now deteriorated to the point where I've lost fifth and reverse. I suspect the selector rod has either broken or failed; the bushes in the other rods aren't far behind, either. 

It'll be back in the garage shortly to have that issue  sorted, then I'll need to decide whether I want to keep it as a parts bus-cum-microcamper or move it along to help pay some bills. Things are not the same as they were last year. 

It's a strange car to price. It's scruffy but solid, there's no rust to speak of apart from surface corrosion on the arms and suspension and it will be pretty much sorted in the engine department. A mate has offered to chivvy the strangely butchered stereo wiring back together so it will be a decent, solid M49 with a long test when sorted.  I suspect if I did decide to move it on I wouldn't get many takers as I'd need a fair bit of change to justify the work. Prices seem all over the place and surviving M49 Multispaces seem rarer than the equivalent vans. 

IMG_20220205_173659.jpg

These are ace. My first experience of the berlingo was my dads S plate 3door with the fully folding roof. I done a house move in it, inclucing a full size fridge freezer which stood upright with the roof folded back. Ive had a couple of van versions since as a result. 10/10 for practicality. Whatever you price it at, it should fly. GLWTS

Decided I'd change the paper oil filter on the daddy wagon.. 

Gave up as seems the hulk has tightened it up!! Tried leather strap piller, oil filter remover on a ratchet that has a strap... nothing... so I've sacked that off and ordered a 74 mm 14 sided socket off amazon... hope I ordered the correct one..

Grrrrr

image-asset.jpeg

20220210_104624.jpg

I'd been contemplating how to resolve the lack of heating in the Maxus.  One of the eBay breakers did list a blower motor assembly for sale, but he wanted £60 including delivery and the photo showed it still in the van but with the wires cut.  My request for confirmation that it had been tested as working were met with silence, and I'm not going to chuck out 60 quid on an unknown (I know I can return it and get a refund but that's a lot of hassle).

So I thought I'd try something different.  I ordered a 1500w inverter and a 240v 400w plug-in fan heater.  The inverter was delivered yesterday and the heater came today, so at lunchtime I went out to test them, and bugger me it actually works.  I was slightly dubious as some of these Chinesium inverters have comically overstated power ratings on them, but this one seems OK.  

Unfortunately the leads that came with the inverter are too short to reach from the van's battery into the cab, so for the moment I've mounted the inverter under the bonnet and I have an extension lead running down inside the front wing and into the cab, with the heater plugged into that.  It's extremely bodgy but it works, and all for about half the price of a questionable secondhand blower.  The more permanent plan is to buy and butcher a cheap set of jump leads so I can have the inverter in the cab - this will keep it cooler and also avoid having to pop the bonnet to turn it on every time, which is a pain (although still better than having no heater).  There is a fag lighter adaptor that came with the inverter, but I very much doubt that would cope with running a fan heater, especially given how shonky Maxus wiring is...

Have you seen the price of Linglongs these days?

I bought a nice set of Dunlops for the T2 & thought I would replace the spare on the front panel with something humorous.

1096053737_Screenshot2022-02-10at08_27_10.thumb.png.607b749ecf732b0d5806b70f05b11246.png

Only £120! I'll give you 'only'. Sadly, the budget wouldn't stretch that far & I went for a Landsail instead.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Have you seen the price of Linglongs these days?

I bought a nice set of Dunlops for the T2 & thought I would replace the spare on the front panel with something humorous.

1096053737_Screenshot2022-02-10at08_27_10.thumb.png.607b749ecf732b0d5806b70f05b11246.png

Only £120! I'll give you 'only'. Sadly, the budget wouldn't stretch that far & I went for a Landsail instead.

I've never understood why people buy insanely names chinese death hoops when most of the time they're more expensive than something from a well known brand.

195/65/15 are a common size. On camskill, for £41 you can get Firestone, Toyo or Kuhmo, all with a or B ratings for fuel and wet grip.

So who are the dickheads buying these?:

image.thumb.png.72bee45a3084667346a00216d609d396.png

3 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I've never understood why people buy insanely names chinese death hoops when most of the time they're more expensive than something from a well known brand.

195/65/15 are a common size. On camskill, for £41 you can get Firestone, Toyo or Kuhmo, all with a or B ratings for fuel and wet grip.

So who are the dickheads buying these?:

image.thumb.png.72bee45a3084667346a00216d609d396.png

Probably the Chinese Embassy.

Back today from a 2-night trip to the W. Mids so Mrs J could see her sister and other animals relations. Usual shit M-way driving was observed on the 23, 25, 42 and 6. The M40 was a comparative delight*, set the cruise right foot at 80 and everyone well behaved. On the way back today I was surprised by the large number of commercials that were conveying other wheeled things - from single-car transporters to the big ones with umpteen cars on (including one with only cop cars, not sure if old for auction or new for use) but also the transport of vans, trucks, trailers, JCB's, other plant and mobile lifts, and of course,  caravans. Best of all on a scruffy transit (I think) was a very clean looking XR2 - YLP 747X - which I now see had just been through Manor Park Classics. Anyone on here?

33 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Fitted a towbar to a Volvo S90 today. Was quite surprised to see "made in China" on the VIN plate....

I knew they were Chinese owned, but didn't know we were getting Chinese built ones here. Quality was very good!

China does the saloons. Sweden the estates... I think! 

23 hours ago, stuboy said:

Decided I'd change the paper oil filter on the daddy wagon.. 

Gave up as seems the hulk has tightened it up!! Tried leather strap piller, oil filter remover on a ratchet that has a strap... nothing... so I've sacked that off and ordered a 74 mm 14 sided socket off amazon... hope I ordered the correct one..

Grrrrr

image-asset.jpeg

20220210_104624.jpg

That's annoying, I think I have one you could have borrowed. Is it an Alfa?

Plusgas/other penetrating fluid, leave it and then try the strap wrench with sandpaper underneath it. Sandpaper for less slippage. 

Had the same with the metal filter on the audi 100, done up by an ape probably. Completely deformed the filter getting it off but it got there in the end. 

4248b03882a5c8e159e631a37a2c5a2a (1).jpg.webp

Interesting morning at Northampton Motorsport. We're testing my semi-emoloyer's Porsche engine after some remedial work on its motor. 

Lots of interesting things in their workshop as you'd expect. 

They've been at it for a good hour but nothing's running yet, computer says no apparently. 

Saw a sad-face Mazda 121 this morning, can't be many of them left. Also, a bus with a huge plume of white smoke behind it, presumed OMGHGF. Sorry I don't know what sort of bus, whichever the Leamington outfit uses. 

IMG_20220211_093626732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_093353962.jpg

IMG_20220211_093224779.jpg

IMG_20220211_093345056.jpg

IMG_20220211_091112344.jpg

IMG_20220211_081913837.jpg