The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I once hit a pheasant at 50mph on a Honda Lead 125 scooter.  That was an arse-clenching moment.

I got one on my Cagiva Mito once, quite an experience.

One of the local coppers was killed a few years back when he hit a pheasant on the A41, on his bike, lost control and ended up in the armco. P.C 3395 Kevin Flint. I can still remember his police number from my childhood dealings with him. Quite often motorbike related in those days as well.

Had a couple of rides in his car to amersham station and he once caught me balls deep into my girlfriend in a car park. Quite embarrassing.

Still looking  for a reasonably priced estate car. I’ve seen another Saab 9-3 diesel locally which is low miles but needs a DMF, currently in eBay for £not much. If it stays at low bids I might place a bid. I really do miss that old bus I had.

Also had a look yesterday at a mega miles V70 on a private sale. Was tempted but it stank inside of dog, fags and farts. And automatic, which put me off more than it needing a bloody good clean.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, SiC said:

Our 2010 A4 had clutch judder but not all the time. Started doing it at 140k, Audi said new clutch+dmf needed. Never did it and clutch still working when I scrapped it at 210k.

Just make sure the DMF isn't making noises.

My A4 does it every now and again and is pretty annoying. You think your passengers think you can't drive. It's done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago any has only done 40 thousand miles.

27 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

My A4 does it every now and again and is pretty annoying. You think your passengers think you can't drive. It's done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago any has only done 40 thousand miles.

Yes, there is an art to stop it juddering! It's intermittent when it did it. We found it more likely if it was driven in stop/start traffic. 

I need to dig those mats out still, if you still want them. They are somewhere at the back of the shed. Which is currently blocked in by mowers, engines, parts, car wheels+tyres and other stuff that really needs a good sort out! (At least Mrs SiC tells me that "scrapyard corner" needs sorting out)

16 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yes, there is an art to stop it juddering! It's intermittent when it did it. We found it more likely if it was driven in stop/start traffic. 

I need to dig those mats out still, if you still want them. They are somewhere at the back of the shed. Which is currently blocked in by mowers, engines, parts, car wheels+tyres and other stuff that really needs a good sort out! (At least Mrs SiC tells me that "scrapyard corner" needs sorting out)

Yes please, if you don't mind.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:48 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Tomorrow Sunday 6th Feb from around 9:30am at The Giffard Park pub Milton Keynes is a small classic car gathering. It is organised by Milton Keynes Classic Car Club (MKCCC), there is no need to book. All welcome. 

I plan to be there with the ex Zel Mercedes 230TE.

THE GIFFARD PARK, Broadway Avenue, Giffard Park, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5QN

Breakfast is available in the Pub.

Unfortunately the weather looks a bit damp to start with but drying up later in the morning.

The rain subsided and apart from a cold wind it was just fine for a winters morning.

Yes the 105 Anglia did rumble in with a V8!

The Volvo 940 is for sale £2,200.

Best car there is my 230TE, says me!

And the Turner owners without roofs were taken away in an ambulance as it turns out they had escaped from an asylum!

And finally my view having a coffee sat in the car.

IMG_20220206_104834 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101245 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101300 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101317 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104844 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104323 full broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104334 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_105838 broad.jpg

12 minutes ago, reb said:

I've got my probation meeting tomorrow morning, I managed to get a union rep to accompany me so I'm not too worried.

I signed the contract for my new job today, so my plan of action is to tell them to stuff their job. I probably don't need the meeting or the rep to do that but oh well.

Don't tell them at the start; let them waste as much of their time as possible first!

24 minutes ago, reb said:

I've got my probation meeting tomorrow morning, I managed to get a union rep to accompany me so I'm not too worried.

I signed the contract for my new job today, so my plan of action is to tell them to stuff their job. I probably don't need the meeting or the rep to do that but oh well.

Best wishes for the interview.

40 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Don't tell them at the start; let them waste as much of their time as possible first!

I represented someone at a meeting like that, argued the toss with the manager for ages, got them to drop the issue then resigned with immediate effect, manager was very bemused, so was I..

On 2/3/2022 at 12:20 AM, vulgalour said:

Do those things smell like burning rubber?  I was following a Range Rover that was fairly new and the thing STANK.  I don't know what was going on with it but it was putting some really acrid odours out the exhausts... not burning rubber though.

That'd be the owner's aftershave/perfume

On 2/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, Tenmil Socket said:

I think if your gentle on the clutch after a while the action gets “grabby “ , long term work van does this and a gentle 2nd gear pull away with gentle revs and longer clutch slip stops it juddering , it must clean up the clutch surface . One or two of these gets the clutch bite back to smooth for me , worth a try 👍

24 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

I represented someone at a meeting like that, argued the toss with the manager for ages, got them to drop the issue then resigned with immediate effect, manager was very bemused, so was I..

I didn't have the new job before I arranged everything, I thought I needed to keep this job. It's honestly pure social awkwardness that I've not called it all off.

i got to isolate for 3 days as from tomorrow so decided id go to b&q and get some 3m long timber for a project i can do whilst climbing the wall,  so i needed the galaxy, fired it up, went for a long drive too the shop and it felt under powered, bogging down.. thought it was ok 2 weeks ago.. finally found the fault.. the clip holding airbox hose wasnt in place and sucking in excess air...2 mins later all sorted, i dont remeber touching these since it was mot'd.

Inkeds-l1600_LI.jpg

Another weekend with very little fettling done due to the weather.  I added a secondary bolt to the bottom of the rear doors on the Maxus to keep the doors in line and as watertight as possible, and I tidied up the wiring for the air horns on the Charade which is due for its MOT soon.  I started to investigate the Rover 75's (lack of) handbrake, but unfortunately the easy fix isn't going to be an option as the threaded adjuster at the handbrake lever end of the cable is already at the limit of its adjustment.  So I'm going to have to get underneath the car, which I wasn't going to do with it blowing a gale and soaking wet.

I took the cover off the Innocenti on Saturday night as it was flapping in the wind and keeping me awake.  On Sunday I thought I should probably turn it over seeing as it hasn't been touched since November, and to my surprise there was still enough juice in the shitty little ex-Aixam battery to start the car up.  It would have been rude not to take it for a quick spin round the block, so I did.  It drove just as well as it did last time I used it, although it's definitely going to need a bush or two in the front suspension - something I'm dreading slightly as I know they're going to be awkward to get hold of.  I'm determined to get it back on the road this year though.

The Laguna still isn't very well.  It definitely has a boost leak from somewhere - I can hear the hissing from under the bonnet - and it's also not that great on fuel - whether the two are related I'm not sure.  I took it out and did a 0-60 run and the quickest I could get was 16.5 seconds, which is crap.  Strangely it actually accelerated faster on half throttle than it did if I held it in kickdown - it got completely breathless above about 3,500rpm.  It's still quick enough to be usable but it's frustrating as with a 150bhp engine it should be a reasonably rapid car.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point and start taking bits off so I can remove and check the turbo pipework.  It's also developed a rattle from the offside front suspension, which I think is a drop link as I can't feel anything through the steering.  It had drop links not that long ago, but some of the cheap eBay specials don't seem to last more than a few miles these days.  It's still a nice car other than that though, and I discovered yesterday that it has heated seats, which warm up a lot quicker than the Rover's, so that's a bonus.

I woke up before 6:30 this morning and had a strong "I should get up now" impulse. I'm glad I did as it's just past 8 now and I've had a coffee and come to my senses a bit. I wish I was better at getting up early in the normal run of things, I like having time to sit and do shit all instead of waking up and immediately getting started with the day. Unfortunately the snooze button is irresistible normally. I don't know why, because extra sleep literally never makes me feel less tired. In fact, unless I've got sub 3 hours sleep getting up the first time I wake up almost always results in the best mood during the day.

I'll try and get up before 7 for the rest of the week in the hope I can continue it once I've started my new job.

14 minutes ago, reb said:

Ended up not even needing to go into the meeting, I explained to the rep that I had a new job and he went in and told them I was resigning effective immediately. Good start to the day!

Good luck for the future, but I'd definitely have wasted a considerable amount of their time myself.  Just going round and round in ever decreasing circles, not agreeing with them on anything, arguing the toss and then - eventually - saying 'btw I was planning on leaving anyway'.

4 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Good luck for the future, but I'd definitely have wasted a considerable amount of their time myself.  Just going round and round in ever decreasing circles, not agreeing with them on anything, arguing the toss and then - eventually - saying 'btw I was planning on leaving anyway'.

If I was on my own I'd probably have done that, but I didn't really want to waste my union rep's time. He said there was no point going through the meeting if I didn't have to.