The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, grogee said:

Mrs Grogee just called and had a flat tyre on the hard shoulder of the M40! 

Currently negotiating with AA to see if my account membership covers her... 

There is a space saver but I'm not having her changing it by the side of the motorway, no way. Particularly as it's offside front. 

Have to say, the AA get full marks for helping out. Mrs Grogee did all the right things and waited well away from the road up an embankment. For some reason her car is down as a Fiat 500 on some system somewhere, but The Man got to her eventually. Towed her with the lift thing to the slip road and put the space saver on. 

Top marks to ME for checking spare pressure at last service, which was about 30psi and should be double that so I filled 'er up. 

She was back to watch the 2nd half of Chelsea v Argyle, where the Pilgrims forced extra time and made the European Champions look pretty ordinary. Their team worth something like £215m, ours less than £15m. #COYG. 

Checked the burst tyre and it's gone in a big way, not sure what caused it but it's fucked. Ordered a part worn Avon to match the others for £35.

Interestingly Mrs Grogee has expressed an interest in my Saab for her work commute next week, having turned her nose up when it first arrived...

Off to Chester cars and coffee (at the Cheshire sports and social club on Mannings Lane, Chester if anyone’s local) so I washed the Pontiac in readiness.

There was loads of crap behind the number plate, so I took it off to wash properly… and it looks awesome!

0798D76E-337D-442A-8F30-501808A07351.jpeg

Might have to run it round US style for a bit. 

2 hours ago, grogee said:

Have to say, the AA get full marks for helping out. Mrs Grogee did all the right things and waited well away from the road up an embankment. For some reason her car is down as a Fiat 500 on some system somewhere, but The Man got to her eventually. Towed her with the lift thing to the slip road and put the space saver on. 

Top marks to ME for checking spare pressure at last service, which was about 30psi and should be double that so I filled 'er up. 

She was back to watch the 2nd half of Chelsea v Argyle, where the Pilgrims forced extra time and made the European Champions look pretty ordinary. Their team worth something like £215m, ours less than £15m. #COYG. 

Checked the burst tyre and it's gone in a big way, not sure what caused it but it's fucked. Ordered a part worn Avon to match the others for £35.

Interestingly Mrs Grogee has expressed an interest in my Saab for her work commute next week, having turned her nose up when it first arrived...

I’m glad your wife is sorted!  There was a tyre thread on here in the last few weeks where a few people commented on Avon tyres letting go prematurely for no reason.

Perhaps they’re trading on past reputations?

11 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

I’m glad your wife is sorted!  There was a tyre thread on here in the last few weeks where a few people commented on Avon tyres letting go prematurely for no reason.

Perhaps they’re trading on past reputations?

I had a quick look to see if there was an obvious cause but I think it just let go quickly. There were two holes in the sidewall suggesting something catastrophic had happened but no nail or whatever in the tread. 

I don't have any affinity with Avon (except the Blake's 7 character) but the other three are Avons so my OCD is insisting the replacement needs to match. 

5 hours ago, reb said:

I once hit a pigeon going about 90 (me, not the pigeon) and it just fucking exploded. I had to wipe blood off the headlight at a petrol station which got me some funny looks. I found feathers every time I opened the bonnet until the car came off the road months later.

I remember the first CX meeting at the CX centre in st ives I went to in 1999 just after buying the Pallas someone turned up in a car with a huge dent in the bonnet and blood and guts over the roof and boot. They had hit a duck in the fens doing about 60mph.

45 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Off to Chester cars and coffee (at the Cheshire sports and social club on Mannings Lane, Chester if anyone’s local) so I washed the Pontiac in readiness.

There was loads of crap behind the number plate, so I took it off to wash properly… and it looks awesome!

0798D76E-337D-442A-8F30-501808A07351.jpeg

Might have to run it round US style for a bit. 

That’s one hell of an underbite!

28 minutes ago, grogee said:

I had a quick look to see if there was an obvious cause but I think it just let go quickly. There were two holes in the sidewall suggesting something catastrophic had happened but no nail or whatever in the tread. 

I don't have any affinity with Avon (except the Blake's 7 character) but the other three are Avons so my OCD is insisting the replacement needs to match. 

I wonder if she ran over something on the motorway? Glad she’s ok. My parents had a flat on the m40 a couple of years ago after hitting a plank of wood that fell of a truck in front. Again offside front so didn’t want to change it themselves. They were about 200metres from Cherwell services so the rac guy towed the car there and changed the wheel in the car park rather than change it on the hard shoulder.

8 hours ago, reb said:

I once hit a pigeon going about 90 (me, not the pigeon) and it just fucking exploded. I had to wipe blood off the headlight at a petrol station which got me some funny looks. I found feathers every time I opened the bonnet until the car came off the road months later.

I once got overtaken by a pigeon whilst driving my bus. On the A34 near Newbury, cruising at 40mph (flat out was about 45 but it made double the noise for that extra 5mph so I would stick to 40-42ish) and this pigeon came past me on the nearside right at my eye line. They don't hang about. 

12 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I wonder if she ran over something on the motorway? Glad she’s ok. My parents had a flat on the m40 a couple of years ago after hitting a plank of wood that fell of a truck in front. Again offside front so didn’t want to change it themselves. They were about 200metres from Cherwell services so the rac guy towed the car there and changed the wheel in the car park rather than change it on the hard shoulder.

She said it happened when there was a surface change in the motorway eg tarmac to concrete. 

I don't think she actually hit anything but it could be something where she caught a nail earlier on then it was 'low' and the surface change finished it off?

Who knows. 

I did make the point that although inconvenient, cold, annoying etc - she is in one piece and fine, and so is the car. 

Could have been a lot worse!

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I once hit a pheasant at 50mph on a Honda Lead 125 scooter.  That was an arse-clenching moment.

I got one on my Cagiva Mito once, quite an experience.

One of the local coppers was killed a few years back when he hit a pheasant on the A41, on his bike, lost control and ended up in the armco. P.C 3395 Kevin Flint. I can still remember his police number from my childhood dealings with him. Quite often motorbike related in those days as well.

Had a couple of rides in his car to amersham station and he once caught me balls deep into my girlfriend in a car park. Quite embarrassing.

Still looking  for a reasonably priced estate car. I’ve seen another Saab 9-3 diesel locally which is low miles but needs a DMF, currently in eBay for £not much. If it stays at low bids I might place a bid. I really do miss that old bus I had.

Also had a look yesterday at a mega miles V70 on a private sale. Was tempted but it stank inside of dog, fags and farts. And automatic, which put me off more than it needing a bloody good clean.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, SiC said:

Our 2010 A4 had clutch judder but not all the time. Started doing it at 140k, Audi said new clutch+dmf needed. Never did it and clutch still working when I scrapped it at 210k.

Just make sure the DMF isn't making noises.

My A4 does it every now and again and is pretty annoying. You think your passengers think you can't drive. It's done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago any has only done 40 thousand miles.

27 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

My A4 does it every now and again and is pretty annoying. You think your passengers think you can't drive. It's done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago any has only done 40 thousand miles.

Yes, there is an art to stop it juddering! It's intermittent when it did it. We found it more likely if it was driven in stop/start traffic. 

I need to dig those mats out still, if you still want them. They are somewhere at the back of the shed. Which is currently blocked in by mowers, engines, parts, car wheels+tyres and other stuff that really needs a good sort out! (At least Mrs SiC tells me that "scrapyard corner" needs sorting out)

16 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yes, there is an art to stop it juddering! It's intermittent when it did it. We found it more likely if it was driven in stop/start traffic. 

I need to dig those mats out still, if you still want them. They are somewhere at the back of the shed. Which is currently blocked in by mowers, engines, parts, car wheels+tyres and other stuff that really needs a good sort out! (At least Mrs SiC tells me that "scrapyard corner" needs sorting out)

Yes please, if you don't mind.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:48 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Tomorrow Sunday 6th Feb from around 9:30am at The Giffard Park pub Milton Keynes is a small classic car gathering. It is organised by Milton Keynes Classic Car Club (MKCCC), there is no need to book. All welcome. 

I plan to be there with the ex Zel Mercedes 230TE.

THE GIFFARD PARK, Broadway Avenue, Giffard Park, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5QN

Breakfast is available in the Pub.

Unfortunately the weather looks a bit damp to start with but drying up later in the morning.

The rain subsided and apart from a cold wind it was just fine for a winters morning.

Yes the 105 Anglia did rumble in with a V8!

The Volvo 940 is for sale £2,200.

Best car there is my 230TE, says me!

And the Turner owners without roofs were taken away in an ambulance as it turns out they had escaped from an asylum!

And finally my view having a coffee sat in the car.

IMG_20220206_104834 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101245 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101300 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_101317 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104844 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104323 full broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_104334 broad.jpg

IMG_20220206_105838 broad.jpg