The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I certainly wouldn't pay £117+ for somebody to glue a boot round the CV . The parts cost about a fiver FFS  !

Edit; even minus the cost of the mot 😐

I'd normally never use one. CV joint was knocking too, So bought a new driveshaft.

Hub seized on driveshaft splines, couldn't shift it.

So re greased joint and  glued a boot on. Stopped the noise as well.

Anyone want a New Qashqai N/S drive shaft for cost of postage? (if I can find it)

Oh deep joy.  We're heading up north to an event on Thursday (which I'm still not sure whether I'm looking forward to or dreading).

I appear to be developing toothache.  In the inevitable poking around that's followed I think I've ascertained that I've lost a chunk of filling roughly the size of Texas.

Odds of being able to see the dentist and get it sorted before we set out?  I'm not holding my breath.

Also I'm petrified of the dentist at the best of times - never mind when I *know* work needs doing.

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh deep joy.  We're heading up north to an event on Thursday (which I'm still not sure whether I'm looking forward to or dreading).

I appear to be developing toothache.  In the inevitable poking around that's followed I think I've ascertained that I've lost a chunk of filling roughly the size of Texas.

Odds of being able to see the dentist and get it sorted before we set out?  I'm not holding my breath.

Also I'm petrified of the dentist at the best of times - never mind when I *know* work needs doing.

I'm having a filling done mid Feb after checkup start of Jan. Not really an emergency though. 

As always with these things, I think it's possible but the financial pain may outweigh the physical pain. 

Mrs Grogee just called and had a flat tyre on the hard shoulder of the M40! 

Currently negotiating with AA to see if my account membership covers her... 

There is a space saver but I'm not having her changing it by the side of the motorway, no way. Particularly as it's offside front. 

12 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Most important thing is to make sure it's *absolutely* clean before putting the adhesive on or it won't seal properly. 

This.  The glue they supply with the boot kits is fantastic stuff, but if there is any grease anywhere on the seam you're stuffed and will need to start again with a new boot.

4 hours ago, grogee said:

In theory it's a good idea. In practice I daren't try it because having put the black goopy grease inside the boot, inevitably some ends up on the seam that you have to glue together.

As mitsisigma01 said, you glue them together before getting any grease anywhere near them.  I usually glue them halfway up the driveshaft well away from the CV joint, then once the glue is properly set I add the grease and slide the boot down the driveshaft and over the joint.

Tomorrow Sunday 6th Feb from around 9:30am at The Giffard Park pub Milton Keynes is a small classic car gathering. It is organised by Milton Keynes Classic Car Club (MKCCC), there is no need to book. All welcome. 

I plan to be there with the ex Zel Mercedes 230TE.

THE GIFFARD PARK, Broadway Avenue, Giffard Park, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5QN

Breakfast is available in the Pub.

Unfortunately the weather looks a bit damp to start with but drying up later in the morning.

IMG_20211205_104328 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, grogee said:

Mrs Grogee just called and had a flat tyre on the hard shoulder of the M40! 

Currently negotiating with AA to see if my account membership covers her... 

There is a space saver but I'm not having her changing it by the side of the motorway, no way. Particularly as it's offside front. 

Have to say, the AA get full marks for helping out. Mrs Grogee did all the right things and waited well away from the road up an embankment. For some reason her car is down as a Fiat 500 on some system somewhere, but The Man got to her eventually. Towed her with the lift thing to the slip road and put the space saver on. 

Top marks to ME for checking spare pressure at last service, which was about 30psi and should be double that so I filled 'er up. 

She was back to watch the 2nd half of Chelsea v Argyle, where the Pilgrims forced extra time and made the European Champions look pretty ordinary. Their team worth something like £215m, ours less than £15m. #COYG. 

Checked the burst tyre and it's gone in a big way, not sure what caused it but it's fucked. Ordered a part worn Avon to match the others for £35.

Interestingly Mrs Grogee has expressed an interest in my Saab for her work commute next week, having turned her nose up when it first arrived...

Off to Chester cars and coffee (at the Cheshire sports and social club on Mannings Lane, Chester if anyone’s local) so I washed the Pontiac in readiness.

There was loads of crap behind the number plate, so I took it off to wash properly… and it looks awesome!

0798D76E-337D-442A-8F30-501808A07351.jpeg

Might have to run it round US style for a bit. 

2 hours ago, grogee said:

Have to say, the AA get full marks for helping out. Mrs Grogee did all the right things and waited well away from the road up an embankment. For some reason her car is down as a Fiat 500 on some system somewhere, but The Man got to her eventually. Towed her with the lift thing to the slip road and put the space saver on. 

Top marks to ME for checking spare pressure at last service, which was about 30psi and should be double that so I filled 'er up. 

She was back to watch the 2nd half of Chelsea v Argyle, where the Pilgrims forced extra time and made the European Champions look pretty ordinary. Their team worth something like £215m, ours less than £15m. #COYG. 

Checked the burst tyre and it's gone in a big way, not sure what caused it but it's fucked. Ordered a part worn Avon to match the others for £35.

Interestingly Mrs Grogee has expressed an interest in my Saab for her work commute next week, having turned her nose up when it first arrived...

I’m glad your wife is sorted!  There was a tyre thread on here in the last few weeks where a few people commented on Avon tyres letting go prematurely for no reason.

Perhaps they’re trading on past reputations?

11 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

I’m glad your wife is sorted!  There was a tyre thread on here in the last few weeks where a few people commented on Avon tyres letting go prematurely for no reason.

Perhaps they’re trading on past reputations?

I had a quick look to see if there was an obvious cause but I think it just let go quickly. There were two holes in the sidewall suggesting something catastrophic had happened but no nail or whatever in the tread. 

I don't have any affinity with Avon (except the Blake's 7 character) but the other three are Avons so my OCD is insisting the replacement needs to match. 

5 hours ago, reb said:

I once hit a pigeon going about 90 (me, not the pigeon) and it just fucking exploded. I had to wipe blood off the headlight at a petrol station which got me some funny looks. I found feathers every time I opened the bonnet until the car came off the road months later.

I remember the first CX meeting at the CX centre in st ives I went to in 1999 just after buying the Pallas someone turned up in a car with a huge dent in the bonnet and blood and guts over the roof and boot. They had hit a duck in the fens doing about 60mph.

45 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Off to Chester cars and coffee (at the Cheshire sports and social club on Mannings Lane, Chester if anyone’s local) so I washed the Pontiac in readiness.

There was loads of crap behind the number plate, so I took it off to wash properly… and it looks awesome!

0798D76E-337D-442A-8F30-501808A07351.jpeg

Might have to run it round US style for a bit. 

That’s one hell of an underbite!

28 minutes ago, grogee said:

I had a quick look to see if there was an obvious cause but I think it just let go quickly. There were two holes in the sidewall suggesting something catastrophic had happened but no nail or whatever in the tread. 

I don't have any affinity with Avon (except the Blake's 7 character) but the other three are Avons so my OCD is insisting the replacement needs to match. 

I wonder if she ran over something on the motorway? Glad she’s ok. My parents had a flat on the m40 a couple of years ago after hitting a plank of wood that fell of a truck in front. Again offside front so didn’t want to change it themselves. They were about 200metres from Cherwell services so the rac guy towed the car there and changed the wheel in the car park rather than change it on the hard shoulder.

8 hours ago, reb said:

I once hit a pigeon going about 90 (me, not the pigeon) and it just fucking exploded. I had to wipe blood off the headlight at a petrol station which got me some funny looks. I found feathers every time I opened the bonnet until the car came off the road months later.

I once got overtaken by a pigeon whilst driving my bus. On the A34 near Newbury, cruising at 40mph (flat out was about 45 but it made double the noise for that extra 5mph so I would stick to 40-42ish) and this pigeon came past me on the nearside right at my eye line. They don't hang about. 

12 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I wonder if she ran over something on the motorway? Glad she’s ok. My parents had a flat on the m40 a couple of years ago after hitting a plank of wood that fell of a truck in front. Again offside front so didn’t want to change it themselves. They were about 200metres from Cherwell services so the rac guy towed the car there and changed the wheel in the car park rather than change it on the hard shoulder.

She said it happened when there was a surface change in the motorway eg tarmac to concrete. 

I don't think she actually hit anything but it could be something where she caught a nail earlier on then it was 'low' and the surface change finished it off?

Who knows. 

I did make the point that although inconvenient, cold, annoying etc - she is in one piece and fine, and so is the car. 

Could have been a lot worse!