The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The odd shape suggests the boxes might have been built to fit in a vehicle somewhere?  On board tool box of something military?

I love boxes of junk, recently a friends father in law was giving up spannering and gave me some assorted shite.  Nothing properly old but even things like a half can of matt black paint comes in handy and saves me buying one.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Possibly not the best choice of words to describe the Ami...

The-New-Citroen-Ami-%E2%80%93-Not-So-Fri

How the heck did they even manage that?  Given the walking pace top speed and how skinny the tyres are I wouldn't have expected anywhere near sufficient lateral g-force to be available to cause tippage...

37 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

The odd shape suggests the boxes might have been built to fit in a vehicle somewhere?  On board tool box of something military?

That's what I thought, there's some odd clips inside to hold some equipment of some sort.  I'd love to find out more about them. 

32 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Door handles, reflector and spark plugs all point towards Austin A30/35.

Thanks! The handles certainly match what's on ebay... which is where they're going to go! I would love an A35 one day though.. maybe I should just buy more A35 parts and assemble my own. 

17 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

How the heck did they even manage that?  Given the walking pace top speed and how skinny the tyres are I wouldn't have expected anywhere near sufficient lateral g-force to be available to cause tippage...

Doesn't need a lot of lateral grip when the car weighs about 25kg.  I once managed to tip over a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe and that has even narrower tyres.

I think the fact that the passenger was rather heavier than the driver probably had an influence.

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Doesn't need a lot of lateral grip when the car weighs about 25kg.  I once managed to tip over a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe and that has even narrower tyres.

I think the fact that the passenger was rather heavier than the driver probably had an influence.

True I guess.  I keep forgetting that it's pretty much a golf cart with a car-like cabin dropped on top.  In my head I'd pictured more normal EV traction battery pack weight right under the floor to help stabilise things.

Only thing I've managed to tip over so far was a Honda ATC200 - and that was because I was being a complete idiot at the time!

My Dolomite has been running like a bag of shite for a while now, won't tick over when cold, guttless, flumey and then it dropped to 3 cylinders, I done the usual stuff to test it, swapping plugs and leads but it didn't clear, it sparked but wouldn't fire so expecting the worse I done a compression, but that was ok as it was showing 150psi on all 4 cylinder.

Good old dad came over on Saturday and investigated the problem, it ended up being the carbs that were totally out of sync again, the car had been running on it's fast idle rather than the choke as a screw had worked lose so that was adjusted and thread locked into place then had them balanced  back up, the difference is night and day now! It runs on start up and goes like a train now! the dizzy cap still needs placing as thats been chewed up by the rotor arm hence the weak spark so it should be even better once that's replaced.

IMG_20220130_154937.thumb.jpg.e785817119071b0a2e60a77c4245dbf4.jpg

I still have a big oil leak to sort but it's getting there now....

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Second Saaab patch ground back

20220131_151951.thumb.jpg.3264e33896d82f5ea0fe5b2b8d3f5b4d.jpg

Large hole chopped under rear seat area - bit of a pain to clean up due to lots of tar underseal

20220131_162807.thumb.jpg.a8fae71e4f5311f151e88c842573af2d.jpg

Rot in front wing/inner wing is going to be the trickiest bit to sort out

20220131_155134.jpg

Make sure the washer bottle doesn't leak or you'll be back here in 12 months...

4 hours ago, trigger said:

My Dolomite has been running like a bag of shite for a while now, won't tick over when cold, guttless, flumey and then it dropped to 3 cylinders, I done the usual stuff to test it, swapping plugs and leads but it didn't clear, it sparked but wouldn't fire so expecting the worse I done a compression, but that was ok as it was showing 150psi on all 4 cylinder.

Good old dad came over on Saturday and investigated the problem, it ended up being the carbs that were totally out of sync again, the car had been running on it's fast idle rather than the choke as a screw had worked lose so that was adjusted and thread locked into place then had them balanced  back up, the difference is night and day now! It runs on start up and goes like a train now! the dizzy cap still needs placing as thats been chewed up by the rotor arm hence the weak spark so it should be even better once that's replaced.

IMG_20220130_154937.thumb.jpg.e785817119071b0a2e60a77c4245dbf4.jpg

I still have a big oil leak to sort but it's getting there now....

That's rather splendid looking. Best colour for a Sprint. Well, that and Magenta. I think I'm right in saying the first 2000 Sprints were all Inca yellow. 

Email from work at 17:15 today saying I have a probation meeting on Sunday, I have to confirm and let them know if I'm bringing a union rep by 5pm tomorrow. Giving me less than 24 hours to arrange a union rep for a Sunday seems like a dick move. Call to the union first thing tomorrow I suppose.

You don't have to do that at all; it's transparent controlling bullshit, browbeating nonsense that they can fuck right off with. It's a meeting they want at their convenience, so take anyone if you can't get a rep, your mum or a random from down the pub as a McKenzie Friend. I fail to see why they need to know unless they're OCD weirdos and plan on not having more seats than attendees.

12 hours ago, reb said:

I have to confirm and let them know if I'm bringing a union rep by 5pm tomorrow

No you don't. 

If you can't get a union rep in time, you can confirm that you won't be attending until you do have a rep available. Well within your rights to refuse the meeting until then, IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Crackers said:

No you don't. 

If you can't get a union rep in time, you can confirm that you won't be attending until you do have a rep available. Well within your rights to refuse the meeting until then, IMO. 

Looks like I'll be doing just that, as the union doesn't work on Sundays.

I would actually welcome being let go as they've failed to train me on anything but a role that isn't actually necessary most of the time so I don't get any shifts. I'm fairly sure it's because I told them I'm autistic, hence my desire for union involvement. I don't think they actually expect me to bring a rep even though they know I'm in a union.

In the meantime, they've given me 1 (one) whole 6 hour shift this week. Which once you take the half hour break into account is worth an astonishing £49. Utterly pointless.

16 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Second Saaab patch ground back

20220131_151951.thumb.jpg.3264e33896d82f5ea0fe5b2b8d3f5b4d.jpg

Large hole chopped under rear seat area - bit of a pain to clean up due to lots of tar underseal

20220131_162807.thumb.jpg.a8fae71e4f5311f151e88c842573af2d.jpg

Rot in front wing/inner wing is going to be the trickiest bit to sort out

20220131_155134.jpg

Lovely work. Whilst you are poking, check the top shock mounts at the rear. Two of my 900s went there and it's an awkward repair. The rot causes the shock to push through the mount.

Great cars though, I thoroughly regret selling my last one.