The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, catsinthewelder said:

A few years back a mate was about to send his BX to a classic auction and the ignition switch failed.  I got it going by taking the switch apart and removing most of the innards before putting it back together.  That would start with any key afterwards.

Ah yes, the "remove tumblers" method. My suspicion is that the door locks are more worn than the ignition barrel, or, at least, the driver's door is. I managed to unlock it once with just the key blank.

3 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Ah yes, the "remove tumblers" method. My suspicion is that the door locks are more worn than the ignition barrel, or, at least, the driver's door is. I managed to unlock it once with just the key blank.

Echoes of my first Saab.  Locks and ignition on that were so knackered that they would all work with anything even vaguely key-shaped.

I lost my keys at one point while I was commuting 75 miles a day round trip to college (literally down the back of the sofa it turned out), and ran it for the best part of a week with a large flat-head screwdriver being both the door and ignition key.  Did get me some slightly odd looks at our local filling station.

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Echoes of my first Saab.  Locks and ignition on that were so knackered that they would all work with anything even vaguely key-shaped.

I lost my keys at one point while I was commuting 75 miles a day round trip to college (literally down the back of the sofa it turned out), and ran it for the best part of a week with a large flat-head screwdriver being both the door and ignition key.  Did get me some slightly odd looks at our local filling station.

Sounds like a similar story here. Weirdly enough, the identical year/engine BX I found at Chevonics had a Valeo keyset and ignition barrel. Delightfully confusing.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, paulplom said:

I had the boy at football on Sunday in the pug107. The engine's been sounding a bit coarse and tappy the last few times I've drove it so I popped the bonnet wgen I got to the carpark. 

That'll explain it. I drove the 15 miles home after the match and topped it up at home. Quiet as a mouse again. My mother had it for six months so I'm blaming her.

IMG_20220109_115700_628.jpg

These really need very frequent oil level checks. The sump is tiny and they do burn through oil quite often. Too many Aygo/107/C1 engine have been ruined simply by people not checking the oil level. Last one I had, I had to top up every week when doing a regular commute.

Knew my Merc needed a new tyre, as one in the back is pretty badly perished. But pumping them up yesterday I noticed they’ve all got pretty deep cracks close to the join with the wheel… all at about 10 years old.  Bugger that’ll be 4 new tyres then… 🙄

8 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Any easy to check which, and I presume once it begins it's terminal or is it manageable? 

Can't remember off the top of my head.  Borniteidentity was our resident Mk1 Avensis expert, but he don't come by this way no more.  If memory serves it's manageable as long as you don't let the oil level drop too low.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Can't remember off the top of my head.  Borniteidentity was our resident Mk1 Avensis expert, but he don't come by this way no more.  If memory serves it's manageable as long as you don't let the oil level drop too low.

Weird one, that wasn't it? It seemed like he talked himself into believing he was some kind of AS AntiChrist with people ready to burn him to the ground when really, most people just seemed to largely enjoy his posts and wholehearted commitment to shiteing. 

Hope he's doing better away from forums for a bit.

39 minutes ago, mercedade said:

Weird one, that wasn't it? It seemed like he talked himself into believing he was some kind of AS AntiChrist with people ready to burn him to the ground when really, most people just seemed to largely enjoy his posts and wholehearted commitment to shiteing. 

Hope he's doing better away from forums for a bit.

Good car posting from Bornite, his other posting, hmm...

I didn't know where else to post this. 

What has happened to all the Citroen C-Crosser/Peugeot 4008/Mitsubishi Outlanders? They used to be everywhere, and I haven't seen any for ages. 

I can see why they were popular, pretend off-roading and 5+2 seats. Did they have some sort of built-in autobork?

Interesting collaboration between manufacturers, too. I wonder if PSA and Mitsubishi are still talking. 

car_photo_305766.jpg

13 hours ago, brownnova said:

Knew my Merc needed a new tyre, as one in the back is pretty badly perished. But pumping them up yesterday I noticed they’ve all got pretty deep cracks close to the join with the wheel… all at about 10 years old.  Bugger that’ll be 4 new tyres then… 🙄

Yes, that’s why I had two old wheels and tyres to get rid of!

On 1/7/2022 at 8:15 PM, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Seeing well respected Classic Cars at the Garage that looks after Alison does inspire confidence! 👍 👍 👍 

DSC_9541.JPG

Success! Alison was collected last Tuesday. These guys are great. At very short notice, they changed the brake pedal switch- which has only lasted 256,500 miles and 18 years. 

A snotty email has been sent to Audi. 

Also, the slightly* irritating way the footbrake pedal would become hard was sorted. 

This may have been a loose pipe. Anyway, it's fucking sorted. That's the main thing. 

I don't feel nervous about the upcoming MOT. Loads of bits have been done over the last few years, so should be a clean pass! 

😎 😎 😎 

57 minutes ago, grogee said:

What has happened to all the Citroen C-Crosser/Peugeot 4008/Mitsubishi Outlanders? They used to be everywhere, and I haven't seen any for ages. 

I can see why they were popular, pretend off-roading and 5+2 seats. Did they have some sort of built-in autobork?

Interesting collaboration between manufacturers, too. I wonder if PSA and Mitsubishi are still talking. 

car_photo_305766.jpg

There's a Peugeot flavour one in the Croydon are. Never seen a Citroën flavour one before!

😎 

18 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Any easy to check which, and I presume once it begins it's terminal or is it manageable? 

The 1ZZ engines have this issue, I had the same problem with both of my MR2s. The worst needed a litre every 300 miles or so. The oil return holes in the pistons are under sized so over time or with a lack of oil changes they get glommed up. Still run fine and I never had any emissions hassle at MOT time, but it’s an annoying fault.

3 hours ago, grogee said:

car_photo_305766.jpg

There's a Peugeot one (I think?) up for sale in Kilmarnock. Or was.

17 hours ago, grogee said:

car_photo_305766.jpg

Mitsubishi, is now part of the Nissan Renault group, Nissan bought it a couple of years ago for it's phev tech.