The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 1/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, cort1977 said:

My very nice neighbour just gave me a load of mountain bike parts and a frame.  I only asked him if he had an old 26" wheel.  He said he doesn't have 26" wheel bikes any more, couldn't be doing with trying to sell bits and I could have them.  Amazing. 

Will have to buy him several cases of beer.

I have a 26" front wheel you can have. What parts did he give you?

7 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

I have a 26" front wheel you can have. What parts did he give you?

That's very generous, thank you.  I have actually got a wheel now so all sorted.

He gave me a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail frame that has been upgraded with various expensive parts such as Race Face cranks and a high end Rock Shox fork.  He also gave me another fork, another wheel, various tyres and loads of little bits.  My neighbour has several bikes and likes to upgrade them so his older parts get moved down to this hardtail.  He has now sacked off 26" wheels altogether and has a Santa Cruz ebike so all the old stuff he has given to me.  

On 1/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, Yoss said:

As electric vans still seem a distant dream for us poor posties, at least at our office, I've been cultivating my own moss gardens in the scuttle of our Pug Partner to reduce our carbon footprint. 

IMG_20220104_110056.thumb.jpg.3c8a92e5636de493bd438c5c8fdf2430.jpg

IMG_20220104_110037.thumb.jpg.26ae7f4d5d1aadf6c35eef1463e2cb84.jpg

So imagine my delight yesterday when I noticed we have a tiny mushroom in there too. 

IMG_20220104_110045.thumb.jpg.951c7644726f74791db4bd083729ce28.jpg

So not only do we offset the carbon from all the diesel we use but we now have our own food supply. I'm hoping the two separate gardens in each corner will spread to become one big one right across the scuttle. Should be able to grow enough to be self sufficient then. 

If it's anything like mine there are big foam rubber seal things at the rear corners of the bonnet which after a year or so become porous and function as growth medium; mine are so far along they're being reduced to soil.

11 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

A smidge over 100 miles completed in the Princess since head gasket replacement and no issues have presented themselves.  That probably means I've fixed it, right?

No.  You are now its prey.  It is stalking, waiting to lull you into a false sense of security until it leaves you on the inside lane of a smart motorway in a blizzard.

The local garage were too busy to remove these tyres so I had a go myself. I broke the bead by using a 10 ft metal box section tube balanced under the V70 tow bar and pushing a very robust garden hoe thing into the bead. It actually worked very well although after removing the tyres with tyre levers and washing up liquid I’m absolutely knackered! 

834AF383-166D-4E81-80EB-D06E6B1937F7.jpeg

Q5 is back from the dealer, apparently now fixed.

I've had a crawl under the front and if the tracking has been touched then I'm the king of England.  No visible clean spots on any of the locknuts or threads on the adjusters themselves.  No way that's been touched.  Of course no printout of the settings before/after.  Our wallet is £132 lighter for it though...

Robbing gits.  We're very glad that the next company car is a Skoda rather than another Audi as they have proven far less prone to problems, and the only one we did have they sorted politely and efficiently.

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I've had a crawl under the front and if the tracking has been touched then I'm the king of England.  No visible clean spots on any of the locknuts or threads on the adjusters themselves.  No way that's been touched.  Of course no printout of the settings before/after.  Our wallet is £132 lighter for it though...

Robbing gits.  We're very glad that the next company car is a Skoda rather than another Audi as they have proven far less prone to problems, and the only one we did have they sorted politely and efficiently.

Don’t the company pay all the bills?

33 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Fork that to the moon and back. 

I once took my car for bodywork and the dash cam was attached, I had a few bits of video from the guy doing the work. Nothing amiss, on fact he sent pics as well. But it would be amazing to have some footage to send to the dealer proving they'd done fuck all. 

Robbing bastards. 

21 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Nice '63 Lincolnshire plate on that, did it come with the Jag?

No it didn’t, someone had this on retention and I made a lowball offer on it. I’m currently looking for a cheap early 60s london issue reg for the p4 which was stripped of its originally issued reg in 1989, whilst it was residing in Lincolnshire oddly enough. Probably an illogical thing to do but that’s life sometimes.

My wife's ever neglected Seat Leon just passed it's MOT only needing a tyre. £98 inc the test.   We've spent a little money on it over the years but not really too much given it cost £850 4 years ago.

It still drives nice too although it's starting to get a bit cosmetically challenged and could do with a pair of front wings. I'm still not going to change the oil.

53 minutes ago, grogee said:

Fork that to the moon and back. 

I once took my car for bodywork and the dash cam was attached, I had a few bits of video from the guy doing the work. Nothing amiss, on fact he sent pics as well. But it would be amazing to have some footage to send to the dealer proving they'd done fuck all. 

Robbing bastards. 

If it were our car we'd have kicked up more of a fuss, but with it not being ours they have us pretty much over a barrel.  Especially as it could be getting called in for return any day now.

Just glad the next one is not an Audi (means it might actually have suspension, won't that be novel...) and I think we'll be steering clear of them for a while if we can.  Though with the scheme you don't always get a huge choice, especially with the supply issues at the moment.

Not really my problem either given I can't even drive the damned thing because of some stupid small print in the finance agreement (not even the actual hire agreement), but I dislike seeing any of us being fleeced in broad daylight.

45 minutes ago, HMC said:

No it didn’t, someone had this on retention and I made a lowball offer on it. I’m currently looking for a cheap early 60s london issue reg for the p4 which was stripped of its originally issued reg in 1989, whilst it was residing in Lincolnshire oddly enough. Probably an illogical thing to do but that’s life sometimes.

I’d put the reg on the P4 if it was mine,  while not the original area it’s roughly the right age and would look miles better than whatever replacement reg it has now.

Chrysler Voyager MOT time. Of course the weather, super mild of late, turns to single digit temperatures and sleet just in time for me to prep it. Still, with a freshly charged battery and the jump pack connected, it fired up the day before, and dutifully warmed up at idle, while i checked tyre pressures, fluids, lights and wipers etc. The ABS light has been on solidly for a couple of months now, so it went into the local independent MOT garage with instructions to fix. Aaaaand.....

All done for £145. I'll take that, esp as it included a new o/s/f sensor and they didn't have to fix anything else to give it another year's ticket. One advisory: corrosion on the underside. Yes. I must deploy the pressure washer with the underbody-spray trolley i treated myself to in the autumn.

8d5dff9ef2af667ef2be18d5accc66eb.jpg

Splashing about a bit of rust killer, paint and possibly some underseal on it needs to be a job on my list for 2022.

On 06/01/2022 at 13:58, SiC said:

"New" car has just been delivered. Bought in the wet and delivered in the wet. Never actually seen it in the dry, so hopefully it's ok! Its the most I've ever spent on a car and much rather not have spent this much. But with the crazy market and needing a car, needs must.
Our dead A4 is due to be taken away on Thursday all being well.
9946314ab4445835829b716968671a7b.jpg
ca11d3d5ff364b492b1ccc2e1095d96a.jpg
74b547cc993665772670c6098433d9c9.jpg
4049316f59b8aba62576bcc36a7582c6.jpg
d972b9b1ce23fe8fb84512422fc40373.jpg
94c4f5fb109b1699fa45c47299945ba3.jpg
8975b073d708bc97d50be88b206e5254.jpg
7a9857b9ff936a153cdc6099035b0d61.jpg

1.8 SR?

6 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

1.8 SR?

1.8 EX Plus. No messing about here.

Wasn't actually fussy on spec, just wanted SE Plus or better Tourer and they're rare as anything. Just happened upon this one. Not a whole lot of difference from the SR. LED headlights (same as the Type-R), keyless start/stop/entry and adjustable bolsters are about the only things I can tell.

the mighty clio passed another mot today, annoyingly only failed on bloody bulbs, two of which i knew were out but thought theyd be reet, oh well, was only a score as i cba fitting bulbs in the cold and pissing rain. service booked for a fortnights time, lovely jubbly.

Stopped at the dealership today, when car was meant to be ready.

Apparently they cannot find anything and the car was on download/communiqué with Infiniti HQ when we got there so apparently we get it back tomorrow.

Guy said he has had bad fuel from the station I filled up at and had the car go into reduced power mode. That didn't flag any faults which was strange.

I guess working on cars these days is a bit like updating an Xbox