The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

PXL_20211229_143838767.thumb.jpg.c83339312840df1ddb1e2c3b3a580a7e.jpg

Well, we're back. To be fair to it, apart from a comedy respray on one door, it's tidy and seems to be a decent steer. The main thing is, she's happy with it. 

It just about kept up with the mg on the way up the m62, apparently it can feel a bit flat if you let the revs off but soon picks up again. Think I'll give the spark plugs a check once I've got 10 minutes spare. 

Today I was trying to buy a modern car as Mrs SiC Audi A4 is very dead. Budget £10k but flexible on a bit more if necessary - should be plenty right? Focusing on Civics as decent amount of stuff for the money. So many Focus's don't even come with Climate Control even for that money. Golf/Leon/etc for that money has bland interiors and usually wind-up windows in the rear too ffs.

Local dealer (with poor reviews) has a 90k 2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol for £6.5k. It's ok but smelt a bit funny - not sure if thats what they cleaned the car with.

Another local dealer had a 2014 (64) 41k Civic 1.8 Petrol for £10k. Good spec and even had the panoramic glass roof. Interior is what you expect on a 41k mile car. Mrs SiC loved this but its very hard to stomach that sort of money on pretty much a 7 year old car. Plus I'd like the facelift front to be honest.

Weston Carbase showed a car in stock. Turned out it hadn't even arrived from BCA yet. Apparently it needs to be "Ready to view" as its status. I could reserve for £299 and wait around 21 days for it to arrive+prep though.

Bristol Carbase showed a car as "Ready to view". Turned out it was in their Avonmouth depot as they had too many cars on site. I could reserve for £299 and have it delivered to branch in a couple of days though...

Bristol Carshop ... jesus fucking christ. Walked in, led to a computer and asked for details. "I want this car, show it to me" I said. Nope need details first. So gave them. Their system struggled with me wanting to pay cash (bank loans at the moment are far better than most car finance) as they needed to fill in monthly budgets (i.e. in my own words, scabby poor people into super shiny at ridiculous high finance deals for impressing others). After all that he disappeared to sort seeing the car. Turns out they drive it into a indoors viewing area. Probably because their lighting in there hides the swirl marks and other such imperfections unless you look much closer.
Half hour of my life I'm not getting back.

Bristol Honda had a car just in but not prepped. Sold yesterday before they even prepped it. Left my details if they get any other part-ex in. Apparently his 17k Civics sit there while he can sell 10-12k Civics all day when he gets them. Said it was very quiet this week when usually busy with brand new/nearly new sales, so don't expect too much.

A rather unproductive day.

Its grim out there. Very grim.

Mrs SiC in theory could keep driving the Boxster for work until we find something decent, but she needs to start doing some home visits again soon. Apparently driving to vulnerable families/children homes, even though its old and not worth a huge amount, turning up in a Porsche doesn't set a good presence or image to them...

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

wait till old one finally gives up

Its freezing cold, you're (or missus is) knackered from work and just want to get home. Would you still want to change the battery then or wished you did it earlier? Especially if you know you've got it there ready to fit.

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

Today I was trying to buy a modern car as Mrs SiC Audi A4 is very dead. Budget £10k but flexible on a bit more if necessary - should be plenty right? Focusing on Civics as decent amount of stuff for the money. So many Focus's don't even come with Climate Control even for that money. Golf/Leon/etc for that money has bland interiors and usually wind-up windows in the rear too ffs.

Local dealer (with poor reviews) has a 90k 2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol for £6.5k. It's ok but smelt a bit funny - not sure if thats what they cleaned the car with.

Another local dealer had a 2014 (64) 41k Civic 1.8 Petrol for £10k. Good spec and even had the panoramic glass roof. Interior is what you expect on a 41k mile car. Mrs SiC loved this but its very hard to stomach that sort of money on pretty much a 7 year old car. Plus I'd like the facelift front to be honest.

Weston Carbase showed a car in stock. Turned out it hadn't even arrived from BCA yet. Apparently it needs to be "Ready to view" as its status. I could reserve for £299 and wait around 21 days for it to arrive+prep though.

Bristol Carbase showed a car as "Ready to view". Turned out it was in their Avonmouth depot as they had too many cars on site. I could reserve for £299 and have it delivered to branch in a couple of days though...

Bristol Carshop ... jesus fucking christ. Walked in, led to a computer and asked for details. "I want this car, show it to me" I said. Nope need details first. So gave them. Their system struggled with me wanting to pay cash (bank loans at the moment are far better than most car finance) as they needed to fill in monthly budgets. After all that he disappeared to sort seeing the car. Turns out they drive it into a indoors viewing area. Probably because their lighting in there hides the swirl marks and other such imperfections unless you look much closer.

Bristol Honda had a car just in but not prepped. Sold yesterday before they even prepped it. Left my details if they get any other part-ex in. Apparently his 17k Civics sit there while he can sell 10-12k Civics all day when he gets them. Said it was very quiet this week when usually busy with brand new/nearly new sales, so don't expect too much.

Mrs SiC in theory could keep driving the Boxster for work until we find something decent, but she needs to start doing some home visits again soon. Apparently driving to vulnerable families/children homes (i.e. in my words, scabby poor people), even though its old and not worth a huge amount, turning up in a Porsche doesn't set a good presence or image to them...

scabby poor people? oh wow. is that the agreed terminology for families being helped by social services now? fair enough that its your pov but wow 

31 minutes ago, stuboy said:

New battery delivered but car still starts... shall I change it or autoshite way and wait till old one finally gives up...

You can't beat a new battery. 

I changed the battery on my Bini in September. 

It hasn't been used for a couple of months, mot is due tomorrow. 

I went outside expecting the worst and it burst into life. Win! 

(although this time tomorrow might not be win, we shall see.) 

17 hours ago, SiC said:

Bristol Carshop ... jesus fucking christ. Walked in, led to a computer and asked for details. "I want this car, show it to me" I said. Nope need details first. So gave them. Their system struggled with me wanting to pay cash (bank loans at the moment are far better than most car finance) as they needed to fill in monthly budgets (i.e. in my own words, scabby poor people into super shiny at ridiculous high finance deals for impressing others). After all that he disappeared to sort seeing the car. Turns out they drive it into a indoors viewing area. Probably because their lighting in there hides the swirl marks and other such imperfections unless you look much closer.

Mrs SiC in theory could keep driving the Boxster for work until we find something decent, but she needs to start doing some home visits again soon. Apparently driving to vulnerable families/children homes, even though its old and not worth a huge amount, turning up in a Porsche doesn't set a good presence or image to them...

If you can show you’ve the money what’s it any of their business what your outgoings are? You are there to buy a car not a financial review. 

Noticed this morning that the passenger dipped beam is out on the C4. Not a problem says I, fetching my spare H7 bulbs out and remembering happily just how much access there is under the bonnet compared to the MG.

I was wrong dear reader- access to the back of the headlamp is most excellent, getting my fat sausage fingers into the headlamp itself however... I've contorted myself into shapes I didn't think possible and may have taught the neighbors kids some new words to impress* their parents. 

Sorted it out eventually and even cleaned it out, much to Mrs LabRat's happiness. Of course, being french it's rewarded my efforts by throwing an intermittent Anti Pollution fault (TATDS).

Looks like the heated lambda sensor is on its way out... Oh joy. Think we can ignore that for a while, at least the parts are cheap!

22 hours ago, Timewaster said:

You can't beat a new battery. 

I changed the battery on my Bini in September. 

It hasn't been used for a couple of months, mot is due tomorrow. 

I went outside expecting the worst and it burst into life. Win! 

(although this time tomorrow might not be win, we shall see.) 

It only bloody passed. One advisory on a crusty rear disc.

I tried to bribe my mate the tester by saying he could go and pose around town in it at lunchtime if he wanted. He muttered something about gay and not being seen dead?

Don't know what that was all about :-)

Oh and according to the print out it has been clocked severely.

16408902684256914344151608946306.thumb.jpg.3fc064bdeb2afb1c588d3a73d2449f10.jpg

I collected an Omega 3.2 V6 Elite estate today from someone I used to supply Omega parts to, requires welding to sills but he reluctantly gave up after 15 yrs of ownership, I genuinely thought he shed a tear as I left :( 

I've owned/broken dozens of Omegas but have never driven a 3.2.....jesus they fly !!  Initial plan was to break it but it's heavily kitted out and runs beautifully so may have a look at the grotty areas 

3 minutes ago, omegod said:

I collected an Omega 3.2 V6 Elite estate today from someone I used to supply Omega parts to, requires welding to sills but he reluctantly gave up after 15 yrs of ownership, I genuinely thought he shed a tear as I left :( 

I've owned/broken dozens of Omegas but have never driven a 3.2.....jesus they fly !!  Initial plan was to break it but it's heavily kitted out and runs beautifully so may have a look at the grotty areas 

save it

Just done 7hr, 420 mile journey to see two cars. Put a (supposedly refundable) deposit down on one (well both but the other wasn't Clean Air Zone compliant).

Going to see another tomorrow - 5hr roundtrip.

Unfortunately I promised Mrs SiC a Civic Tourer if the A4 conked out. But they're rarer than hen's teeth - like 8 in the whole of the country that are suitable. So to keep that promise, I have to scale both ends of the country to find what one suitable.

I visited an old friend a couple of days ago and drove the V70 down, we then went and visited his parents who live a couple of miles away. His dad was absolutely bowled over with the V70, he bought his current 940 saloon from me 10 years ago and now he wants first refusal on the V70 should I ever sell it.  I had been thinking about moving it on for a while as we don't really need two cars at the moment and it seems pointless running a big petrol muncher like this. It's a 2004 2.4 N/A auto, 90k FSH and clean as, plus it's had a 2k gearbox repair a couple of years ago. Low mileage clean V70's fetch decent money and he's happy with £1500 ish..... Should I get rid? We could use the wife's Fusion as a daily driver and get the Visa up and running (finally) and use it as a second car for occasional use. The money would come in useful too.

New battery delivered but car still starts... shall I change it or autoshite way and wait till old one finally gives up...
IMG-20211229-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.e15074e79e1061510f1405d3e75d7540.jpeg
Herman's battery has been weak for the last couple of years.

38fb60e4b27c5ca4b80f2892b5da7b18.jpg

At the moment, I've got the BX's battery in the boot in case a jump is required - only really required if the car hasn't ran in more than a week and a half

26 minutes ago, fatharris said:

I became a dad again today!

acf78868f4bdd238511c2cf6ccdeaa7d.jpg

Evelyn Pippa May was born this morning at 7lb 3oz, Mum and baby are fine and we got home this evening. Fair play to MrsH, she's a fucking trooper emoji3531.png

Took her home in the only choice really - he was our wedding car, he brought our first born home, so it only seemed right to bring home the final piece of the Harris family jigsaw:

a8b2cf41bb5d1e3a4dfb90025afa90e6.jpg

As an added bonus, we hit a milestone today!

4248c647e3d7deafc88ccc155183ed82.jpg

Now we've got one of each, and I'm sure the project progress will slow down for a short while emoji28.png

Aww, fair play. Now, back to business?

16 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Because they would rather persuade you to take it on credit as they make commission on it .Cash ain't king anymore

Two Skoda dealers in the West Midlands refused to sell my father in law a car outright. He’s purchased cars from both of them over the last 20 odd years. So, now he drives a Vauxhall.

12 hours ago, omegod said:

When I was working in Germany in the early 00's a colleague had the saloon 3.2 but with the whole Irmscher catalogue thrown at it

Very quick car but I constantly hit my head on the roof whenever I got in it

14 hours ago, fatharris said:

I became a dad again today!

acf78868f4bdd238511c2cf6ccdeaa7d.jpg

Evelyn Pippa May was born this morning at 7lb 3oz, Mum and baby are fine and we got home this evening. Fair play to MrsH, she's a fucking trooper emoji3531.png

Took her home in the only choice really - he was our wedding car, he brought our first born home, so it only seemed right to bring home the final piece of the Harris family jigsaw:

a8b2cf41bb5d1e3a4dfb90025afa90e6.jpg

As an added bonus, we hit a milestone today!

4248c647e3d7deafc88ccc155183ed82.jpg

Now we've got one of each, and I'm sure the project progress will slow down for a short while emoji28.png

Congratulations!