The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Oh.

Well I suppose you could at least be glad you were able to diagnose it yourself rather than spent £££'s for a garage to have no clue.

With boilers I'd maybe look elsewhere in the system first for anything that might cause a fault with the boiler. Is there a filling loop? I need to keep an eye on that with mine as like yours my radiator valves mostly leak and the pressure needs to be kept topped up.

Farewell Polo you served my son well. Bought for £750 two years ago to learn and pass in, serviced twice, the exhaust and discs & pads replaced on the front it was all going so well too until the dreaded valve guide problem started and the final nail in its coffin was the clutch failure 50 miles from home and AA recovery home.

The sh*t exhaust was his choice because yoof but was cheaper from China then a ebay pattern one.

20211223_095252.jpg

Does anyone have a link to some actually_genuine or at least know_alright and fucking Bright headlight bulbs? (h4 i think, for the xsara) 

Picked my mum up from the hospital, drove to theirs, took my stepdad to mk hospital then picked him up 3 hours later then back home and fuck me I couldn't see anything, even with my glasses! 

Stepdad said his eyes felt fine after his glaucoma surgery/drops but everything looked a bit darker but did I have my headlights on? 😂 Doubt he saw much worse than I did tbh. Horrible shitty misty wet night though... Got to keep the wipers on or before you know it the windscreens covered in shite but then they drag etc... 

New headlights, fresh wipers (as they've had 2 years of having to scrape near sandpaper off the windscreen in the summer with wfh and are cunted) and if I take the bumper off and do it right I'll stick fucking new sidelight bulbs, dipped bulbs and indicators in there and never have to touch it again*and maybe see at night once more... 

Saying that I probably won't drive the bastard now for months 😂 poor thing gets woken up from a slumber and thrashed down shitty crappy roads for 100 or so miles then back to slumber far too often nowadays. At least when it did 250 miles a week it kept warm. 

No black smoke though even in the dark when getting past an utter twat on the a41 sharpish so that's a win

16 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Does anyone have a link to some actually_genuine or at least know_alright and fucking Bright headlight bulbs? (h4 i think, for the xsara) 

problem is all H4 bulbs will have the same lumen output as its defined as part of the H4 lamp specification 

for example if you look at the lumen output of a set of Osram night breakers vs their standard range you will see its actually the same!

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER SILVER-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_3043414/ZMP_4057696/

https://www.osram.com/ecat/-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_1057023/ZMP_61180/

but if your only going off road *ahem* you can get some 80W/100W lamps of the H4 form factor 

https://www.osram.com/ecat/SUPER BRIGHT PREMIUM - SUPER BRIGHT-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_1090070/ZMP_1066359/

just be careful they dont melt something!

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

problem is all H4 bulbs will have the same lumen output as its defined as part of the H4 lamp specification 

for example if you look at the lumen output of a set of Osram night breakers vs their standard range you will see its actually the same!

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER SILVER-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_3043414/ZMP_4057696/

https://www.osram.com/ecat/-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_1057023/ZMP_61180/

but if your only going off road *ahem* you can get some 80W/100W lamps of the H4 form factor 

https://www.osram.com/ecat/SUPER BRIGHT PREMIUM - SUPER BRIGHT-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_1090070/ZMP_1066359/

While that's true in theory, there is a vast difference between a decent H4 from a reputable source Vs the cheapest of the cheap that Halfords have bought on and stuck their own badge on.  Especially where lumen depreciation is concerned.

Folks also tend to forget that they do lose intensity over time, so just sticking a fresh set of lamps in can make a *huge* difference.

7 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Where's the link to buy the fucking things?

The headlight assemblies are worth a fucking fortune so I'm not putting higher wattage bulbs in. But the post about them going shitter over time is probably it as well as their the ones that came with the car, @Talbotdid you ever make yourself bleed and change a headlight in it?

It's just finding a set that aren't Bosch* etc... Cheap and cheerful is fine if their decent, but it is payday today and I've not bought the car a gift yet... 

That's a lie actually, already bought the wiper blades

Screenshot_20211223-185118_eBay.thumb.jpg.0ea1a4c09047b2759f95d92ce00eae85.jpg

Etc! I'm not plumping for the £12.99 ones, doing a whole bumper off job then finding out their a shitty clone or old crappy stock from a decade ago... 

Who knows I might even undo the 2 more bolts and have the wing off and more agressivly sort the rust out 🤔 maybe finally time to buy that cordless ferrex grinder as I have a need for another ferrex battery... 

Fuck me this headlight changing business gets expensive 😂

19 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

While that's true in theory, there is a vast difference between a decent H4 from a reputable source Vs the cheapest of the cheap that Halfords have bought on and stuck their own badge on.  Especially where lumen depreciation is concerned.

Folks also tend to forget that they do lose intensity over time, so just sticking a fresh set of lamps in can make a *huge* difference.

of course yeah if you get something cheap and nasty then theres no guarantee  it actually conforms to the spec! especially given the somewhat precise optical nature of a headlamp even if the filament itself is up to spec, if its not properly mounted in the bulb, then that wont do you much good etc!

13 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

The headlight assemblies are worth a fucking fortune so I'm not putting higher wattage bulbs in. But the post about them going shitter over time is probably it as well as their the ones that came with the car, @Talbotdid you ever make yourself bleed and change a headlight in it?

It's just finding a set that aren't Bosch* etc... Cheap and cheerful is fine if their decent, but it is payday today and I've not bought the car a gift yet... 

That's a lie actually, already bought the wiper blades

9 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Screenshot_20211223-185118_eBay.thumb.jpg.0ea1a4c09047b2759f95d92ce00eae85.jpg

Etc! I'm not plumping for the £12.99 ones, doing a whole bumper off job then finding out their a shitty clone or old crappy stock from a decade ago... 

Who knows I might even undo the 2 more bolts and have the wing off and more agressivly sort the rust out 🤔 maybe finally time to buy that cordless ferrex grinder as I have a need for another ferrex battery... 

Fuck me this headlight changing business gets expensive 😂

you can get a pair of standard ones for about £10!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIGINAL-halogen-headlamp-64193-folding-carton/dp/B000VDBZM8

I think what they are doing with the night breaker ones is, driving the filaments harder to achieve a higher colour temperature which most people will perceive as brighter since not as "yellow" as a standard bulb, and are probably "binned" to sit at the upper end of the allowed range in the H4 standard

of course this comes at the expense of lamp life, would be interesting to get some to directly take some measurements of tho! (anyone got a spare Ullbricht sphere? LOL)

49 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

of course this comes at the expense of lamp life, would be interesting to get some to directly take some measurements of tho! (anyone got a spare Ullbricht sphere? LOL)

Sadly not any more...I had got a pretty good setup which worked as a crude one in the flat in Aberdeen.  The (tiny en suite) bathroom was all white aside from a pale grey floor and I figured out that with a good light meter taking an indirect reading off the wall furthest from the light source and some maths from a known source I could get a pretty good relative reading - an arbitrary number which was easy enough to convert to lumens.  Obviously it depended on how close to the expected output the 40, 60, 100 and 200W incandescent lamps I used to create the reference curve were to their specified values in terms of giving an actual lumen output - but it worked well for comparing the relative output of two sources and tracking lumen depreciation over time.

I fixed* the Mazda today.

20211223_153136.thumb.jpg.2a0a785ecd46c7f468cea7e72c0b3fd1.jpg

It's not pretty, but it holds water and it's circulating OK.  It's still running a bit cool but I'm not sure there's much more I can do about that.  I imagine it will be several months, if at all, before the missing radiator fan becomes an issue.

No idea why the photo is on its side.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Obviously it depended on how close to the expected output the 40, 60, 100 and 200W incandescent lamps I used to create the reference curve were to their specified values in terms of giving an actual lumen output

thats what an industry standard reference Light bulb is for :) 

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-207110

Uprated bulb people…

I have found the best to be Phillips +150%.  They’ve knocked Osram Nightbreakers off my previous top spot.  These are H4 in a Merc 190.

I don’t understand the Lumens comments before (because I’m a thicko) but there’s a huge real world difference between these and a big standard H4.

Pontiac had been at the back of the drive so hadn’t turned a wheel in a good few weeks… so thought I’d take it out for a Pre-Christmas bimble. Started first time, no hesitation and drove as if I’d just parked it yesterday! Even the tyres were still fully inflated! 
97448595-669D-4990-BAE7-51356FFD600E.jpeg

Replaced the coolant cap on the Saab today. The yellow top had sheared off the body of the cap and the rubber seal meant it was stuck in fast in the header tank.

20211224_105829.thumb.jpg.759b4b12f187e21318ffa83147a3c94a.jpg

The top of the black part is supposed to be attached to the yellow cap. As you can see it now looks quite chewed as it took some work to get it out, evidenced by the tools in the background.

New one was only a few quid, hopefully it holds OK.

20211224_105844.thumb.jpg.751e50b502fd25a81a931b237182afb8.jpg

Part of the front grille was also pushed in as you can see just below my hand.

Something was stopping the black part pulling out so some BF&I caused something unseen to snap and fall to the ground, but it now all sits flush, if a touch loose. Better than it was.

Just the thermostat to do now. Its definitely less fiddly looking than the one in the Cavalier however it was in the garage and it was summer. This is unlikely to fit in there and it's obviously winter so it's being done early January by the local garage.

Indeed they are open, they opened 3 minutes ago! The closer place to me is also open but collection only, which I don't like because parking is awful in town. I just placed my delivery order with the other place as soon as they opened, so if they are busy I'll be near the front of the queue. Sometimes I've had to wait nearly 3 hours for food from them, but it's always hot so I don't mind!

27 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

The Crimbo run up to Aberdeenshire, convoying with @Supernaut over Glenshee in our RWD death traps, proving to all the housewives of Cheshire they don't need a fucking SUV.

20211224_131928.thumb.jpg.e65da3095a38c3ba4928d800ec0c210d.jpg

20211224_142114.thumb.jpg.905c8de2f688479dd30fbde72860a30b.jpg

Indubitably!

IMG_20211224_130400798_HDR.thumb.jpg.869185b977c4a4baff342c35b116cc6a.jpg

IMG_20211224_125919625.thumb.jpg.125139b592f46e962f0df228b135fa9b.jpg

Not really sure if this is the correct thread or if there is a correct thread??

I just want to say to everyone have a great Christmas and New year. The forum keeps me sane, most of the time. Always something interesting to read. Let's hope next year we can all meet up ' officially' and enjoy much more chod.

So merry Christmas, happy new year, stay safe and enjoy what ever company you can. 

Andyberg