The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 12/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, TheOtherStu said:

How you doing with it? My biggest issue was the tiredness. Still tired now over 3 weeks later. The Missus is struggling more than me - she still has a cough and very tired.

I'm alive, but yes so tired all the time. Its not fun for that reason. 

And I've no sense of smell. 

I'm sure the Mazda has been a bit more tappy on cold starts this week. Oil check:

Snapchat-1255786360.thumb.jpg.4d70d25add3aa58c530391fa2d90ee05.jpg

Oh, right, OK. Where's all that gone then? 

IMG_20211221_162233.thumb.jpg.893015d03c8bed679d1b7d420d6a3056.jpg

Oh. It's all fallen out. 

Better get that seen to I suppose. I think it's the rocker cover gasket as the oil is coming from up high. I'll change that when things warm up a tad, for now a top up of oil once a month is fine. 

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Just checked the Road Tax on that.

Holy Moly.

Yes. £52 per month to be exact.

Also, 19mpg (currently improving and a new thermostat will help this further)

This did initially put me off buying it however its on my drive because its a huge amount of car for scrap money.

I'm warming to it.

My thoughts are that even 9000s looked the same same as a Fiat and Lancia although I appreciate that's only skin deep. I like those, my dad had one so I guess it's just a Saab thing to have more or less parts from other cars.

I'm farming the thermostat job out as whilst I could do it, a lot of stuff has to come out to get to it.  So the job would need to be done outside, during daylight hours. Since evening time is best for me when working on the cars that kind of fucks me up for getting that done myself.

18 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Roof works.

20211221_101631.jpg

I haven't tried the roof on mine yet, always a tense moment 😂 I did however manage to get the AUX input working on the stereo so I'm chuffed with that, was always something that annoyed me on that Saab. Practically impossible to fit anything aftermarket into it, and I am a fan of CHOONZ. I think you can bung one of the ICM2 units into it fairly easily though (the stereo with the screen) and buy an aux adapter that plugs into the back of it.

I only really listen to the old Medium Wave 1215 so anything is better than the 1 speaker that's on the Audi.

The Parrot thingy works too, I paired my phone with it no bother.  Although I haven't spoken to anyone on my mobile in about a year (because #yoof with WhatsApp) it's a nice to have 😂

I'm waiting on  the oil and filter being delivered and I have booked it into my local garage to have the thermostat fitted.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I only really listen to the old Medium Wave 1215 so anything is better than the 1 speaker that's on the Audi.

The Parrot thingy works too, I paired my phone with it no bother.  Although I haven't spoken to anyone on my mobile in about a year (because #yoof with WhatsApp) it's a nice to have 😂

I'm waiting on  the oil and filter being delivered and I have booked it into my local garage to have the thermostat fitted.

Aye the parrot unit has been properly installed, annoyingly it only works for phonecalls, the newer ones you can stream your phone to them as well. Got my hopes up when I paired it for the first time 😂

The new Saab has the fancy 8 speaker system which sounds great, but doesn't have the 6 CD slots on the headunit the old one had. CHEAPSKATE ORIGINAL OWNER 

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I have discovered that the rear parking sensors on the Charade work.  So the easiest car to park in the fleet (thanks to its tiny size, vertical tailgate and taxi-like turning circle) is also the only car I own with working parking sensors...

If you think that's excessive , I once had to fit a reversing camera and screen to a smart fortwo.

Is it just me or are after market parts all rubbish. I took the Mégane to be tested last week and it passed. But in Ireland the shocks are tested side to side for damping effect. If there's more than a 30% imbalance you fail. It passed at 20% on the front, but that's not great considering I put on 2  Monroes less than 20k miles ago. The rear shocks are the original Renault ones and had almost no imbalance. That explains why something clonk sometimes on rebound.

So I bought some genuine Renault old stock struts from Poland for the same price as more Monroes. Let's hope they last as well as the original shocks on the front -more than 140000 miles 

IMG_20211222_150636.jpg

The insurance have finally been in touch with a date to collect the Tivoli for repairs- 18th of February! Apparently that's how long it will take them to get the parts shipped in from Korea.

In the meanwhile, I've got to try and find the missus a useable runabout, that isn't totally fucked, for the princely sum of £500. She's not bothered what it is, so long as its not fucked and has enough test to last until April minimum. (She's worried, given their current form, that the Tivoli will end up needing summat else and be held up even longer)

So from accident, to repair we're looking at the car being off road for 3-4 months, then I've got to MOT the fucking thing.

I have had zero motivation for cars in the last week, I've not been feeling my best if I'm honest.

But the service pack was delivered for the Saab today and in a sudden rush of blood to the head, my interest was piqued.

20211222_133356.thumb.jpg.ce0edaa6d7ced042833deb402f69abcd.jpg

Work was quiet so between checking emails  I changed the oil. 

First off, it said no to the Pela. Arse, auld claes on then and to underneath.

The sump plug had been done up to approximately  15669 nm and I couldn't get a good swing on the bar as the exhaust and cross brace were in the way.

NO IMPACT GUN, NO PROBLEM.

20211222_142954.thumb.jpg.8a90de850fd5ee2364dcb4621ddc2d76.jpg

No idea why it's upside down  but you get the idea.

SCIENCE.

All went smoothly after that, in the main.

The car is really really clean underneath. The subframe in particular is GR12.