The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, grogee said:

I agree, great picture. 

I think an AS calendar is a great idea. @Talbot is there any way that producing say 100 calendars and selling at £10 a pop might finance the hosting costs for a while? 

Could do a vote to decide on calendar pics, best 12 get in. Then close voting in September and get the usual scumbags (online photo print places) to run 100 off. Sell between Sept-Dec then elope to Barbados put the money safe for next year. 

Probably got my figures wrong but you get the idea. Something nice* sells for profit but it goes back into the AS fold to ultimately ensure more crap cars have their lives prolonged. 

Ditto T shirts and car stickers. And mugs. 

Ahem -

@brownnova has sorted the AS calendar for the last few years..

1 hour ago, grogee said:

That's great but how do I get a 2022 one @brownnova ?

The AS calendar runs from February to the following January… because Autoshite… I did wonder about trying to bring it back into line… But not sure whether that’s what people would want? 

It’ll likely be done in the gap between Christmas and new year as anything later into January might be interrupted by a new arrival… (not of the vehicular kind).

Unless of course anyone else wants to do it? 

I awakened the Audi 100 from it's winter slumber this evening. It's been a bit of an unexpected retreat to the garage but the foul weather in November and the price of E5 had kept it put. But I decided it's time to stretch it's legs. 

It started, first flick of the key, I needn't have been worried, 8 weeks of being idle seemed to have done it zero harm.  

But it was the first time, I'd drove it for myself in a long time. Not to ferry furniture from Ikea, nor to whisk relatives from the Airport or move rubbish to the tip. But it's been a long time since I drove it for the sake of driving it. 

Whilst it's a car that will take "pushing on" somewhat and you'll get rewarded with 5 cylinders making their distinctive rythm, it's more at home just cruising. It's like a pair of comfy slippers, gently gathering pace with no fuss whilst your comforted by swathes of blue velour. 

I arrived home from work quite pleased with myself. 2022 will be my third year with it and unlike any other car I've ever had, I don't see a reason to sell it 

75 back from the garage and driving well. Drive down to Dalkeith last night for a forest light show, a round trip of about 100 miles. The top mounts were making a bit of a noise earlier in the year but I ignored it and it went away. The lady at the garage said that their partial seizure may have caused the broken spring.

£200 all in, including the top mounts I supplied. Had the spring ripped through the tyre that would have been closer to £300 so I'm calling that a success.

There's some water ingress into into boot again, TADT though.

Just changed the driver's seat in BiL's  2005 Rennow Trafic. He's a farmer (among other things) so it's a biohazard in there. 

Christ knows why he paid £1900 for it with full disco lights (ABS & airbag) and 190k on the clock. It's a nail. 

But Mrs Grogee and I felt sorry for him sitting on the bare seat frame all the time so we sourced a 2nd hand seat. Because TADTS - used driver's seats are expensive, best we could find was £80 collected locally. Not very clean but better than his falling apart one. 

Anyway bolted that in then slid over some cheap covers which has smartened it up, so it should be a bit more comfortable when he inevitably breaks down and has to wait for a recovery tow. 

Did some wrangling with my mates tyre machine yesterday.  Slight* difference in size between the two.

IMG_20211218_140433.thumb.jpg.d0660c6c3fe9ef5eac9a2a6cef4763c4.jpg

Big one is the 19" off the Range Rover, I bought a part worn Continental winter tyre the same as the one that got a puncture at 80mph on the motorway a couple of weeks ago.

The other is the 13" spare off the Manta, I was trying to fix the puncture in it to swap it with the one currently on it which goes flat after about a day, as @GingerNuttz will have found out by now 🙈

Sadly despite me cleaning up the rim and inspecting both the tyre and the rim for damage it didn't work, it was flat again this morning 🤬

Cavalier being collected today. Whilst I'm glad the Cavalier has found a new home,  I have suddenly realised that I'm going to be left with a driveway full of moderns which I'm not feeling good about.

I plan to address that fully in the new year.

To assure* me that in the meantime that I'm being sensible having a fleet of newfangled tosh, the 75 has started making an awful scraping sound when turning left and the Civic now has a hot starting issue.

Thanks moderns.

Thoderns.