The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Shatis passed its MoT.  Had the rear brakes done before the test as the NS pads were very low.  Treated it to new pads, discs and calipers.  Front discs were an advisory, but I'll wait a few months for those.  Glad that's sorted before Christmas.

Reno heritage fleet.

20211210_152245.thumb.jpg.1fd551726dfd59d1e1ec14fed6badd1c.jpg

I shan't tempt fate by saying too much, but I think the Espace is fairly sorted now and able to share duties with the VS.  Since I tuned it to pass the MoT it has a tendency to cut out until fully warm, so that needs a further tweak.

20 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

A couple of years ago, I advised my friend to change the Control Arms on his 9N Polo.

These are hollow steel components that like to rust for fun. 

Today I got a message confirming that one had failed. 

Please do check if you have one or know anyone who does. 

I have a new 9N polo / 6L Ibiza control arm and subframe console with bushes sitting in my shed if anyone finds themselves in need of a quick repair.

12 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Fucking Volvo's speedo has died.

giphy.gif.778755ab58e60f8d3a88c26f6fd1bf82.gif

If you haven't already bridged it, worth checking the Speedo drive plug on the back of the diff. The plugs are really brittle now and basically fall off with a snide look. Also, it's a prime location for the pins to be bright green with corrosion.

Off on a collection mission tonight, vehicle choice isn't much of a secret.  Its only 15 miles or so away so there will be no poo count (unless I'm incredibly unlucky).

The biggest issue will be to not let the Mrs nick it off me. 

Something will be for sale in the New Year if/once it has bedded into the fleet, 5 cars is too many.

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

Off on a collection mission tonight, vehicle choice isn't much of a secret.  Its only 15 miles or so away so there will be no poo count (unless I'm incredibly unlucky).

The biggest issue will be to not let the Mrs nick it off me. 

Something will be for sale in the New Year if/once it has bedded into the fleet, 5 cars is too many.

I was going to ask if you needed a lift! Seems you're sorted though. Chodspeed.

15 minutes ago, juular said:

If you haven't already bridged it, worth checking the Speedo drive plug on the back of the diff. The plugs are really brittle now and basically fall off with a snide look. Also, it's a prime location for the pins to be bright green with corrosion.

Aye, I was doing some reading up on it last night. An easy place to start anyways. Bet it's the ring in the diff.

22 hours ago, fatharris said:

Yep, I'm having ten days off emoji3531.pngemoji1787.png

Annoyingly, MrsH is pregnant and with a week till the due date, this may scupper our birth plans.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ach that’s shite man.

We’re 7 weeks of landing date and this is exactly my fear. Hopefully Junior is nice and comfy in there and stays put until you’re out of isolation, and that your good lady doesn’t get it too! 

On 12/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, juular said:

I reckon it was, plus a Maserati, an old landy and some other tat.

This was outside Bo'ness motor museum (which wasn't as good as I was expecting).

I haven’t been in a couple of years. I felt there was far too much ‘memorabilia’ squashed in around the cars. The cars were ok.  

Collected from @SRi05. I am now officially an owner  of  a Swedish barge. It's bigger than I thought, longer even than the 75.

20211214_203335.thumb.jpg.6dd9950a5c72102df243364f42fa1f57.jpg

Im delighted with it.

Drove perfectly in the way home, smooth and wafty and the engine is silent.  Battery volts stayed rock solid between 14.0 and 14.1 volts. Dropped to 13.9 with the full beams and fogs on.  No problem there that I can see.

It's also spotless inside.

There is one big issue though, the Mrs is insisting that it's going to be her car! Even the wee man likes it and he's normally hard to please when it comes to my cars.

I plan to just use as is until after Christmas and maybe treat it to an oil change. Temp guage doesn't get off the quarter, may investigate the thermostat at some point in the future.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Collected from @SRi05. I am now officially an owner  of  a Swedish barge. It's bigger than I thought, longer even than the 75.

20211214_203335.thumb.jpg.6dd9950a5c72102df243364f42fa1f57.jpg

Im delighted with it.

Drove perfectly in the way home, smooth and wafty and the engine is silent.  Battery volts stayed rock solid between 14.0 and 14.1 volts. Dropped to 13.9 with the full beams and fogs on.  No problem there that I can see.

It's also spotless inside.

There is one big issue though, the Mrs is insisting that it's going to be her car! Even the wee man likes it and he's normally hard to please when it comes to my cars.

I plan to just use as is until after Christmas and maybe treat it to an oil change. Temp guage doesn't get off the quarter, may investigate the thermostat at some point in the future.

Farewell old friend. It's in good hands 👌

crying-black-guy-meme.gif

I sold Project Fiesta Van last night, put it up for £2500, got £2100 so not bad, it wasn't the easiest sale though... 

Let's start the story off with Facebook Marketplace, yep it's one of them sales, I get a message out the blue offering £2000 and a plead story about how their van had broke and they had no money, I refuse it so they then offer £2100, it's a bit less than I hoped for but not unreasonable and I don't want it sat outside mine all Christmas so agree on the deal. 

He turns up 45 minutes late, starts asking for proof that the cambelt had been done, and moaning about the Peugeot engines and this is the bit that got me, pulls out a Snap on diagnostic tool and starts scanning the van for codes?! 

I wasn't impressed but I've got nothing to hide, he then puts a EML on the dash and says the charging module is high? I said it's just had a new battery fitted so it's probably a old code but he then says I'll give you £2000 for it instead!!! 

I pretty much told him to fuck off by this point, we agreed £2100 I'm not dropping, either take it or not as its a cheap van so he agrees and hands the cash over and take it away. 

I can guarantee it will be back up on marketplace again later for more money but what a hassle, I can see why people just sell stuff to webuyanycar, it's much easier. Still I made £850 on the van so I can't moan too much! 

13 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

That's come up well. I had it machine polished the same time as I had the hood cleaned which was late August so it should be nice and shiny with regular washes. I don't think I cleaned it after having it done 😂

Aye it looks in great condition, the paints really bright. Nothing more to do there!

The new alternator was plonked on my desk today, in the dreaded green box of doom-

PXL_20211215_125247591.thumb.jpg.9c35ba81d9ebcee14e922fce06a24a6f.jpg

But never fear: It's only 26/25 years old and has weird vehicle compatability.

PXL_20211215_125321982.thumb.jpg.7b363585bd1baf8ea72deafdb0cb09e6.jpgPXL_20211215_125856022.thumb.jpg.6d90d95daeeaacec0066852eb88745ca.jpg

A bonus was the packing receipt

PXL_20211215_130613233_MP.thumb.jpg.abfc18602896c2ab8a6466673de3118f.jpg

In short, I'm set out for 111% success.