The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

14 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

Have we ever rebuilt a P38 high pressure pump ? 

No me neither, but I've GOT to do it tomorrow, in the pissing rain, before work.

Tune in tomorrow to see how it has gone 😅

Well it hasn't gone too well 😕 

Up at 8am to find more bits/ spares before the Volvo was picked up. Then a mad dash for fuel as the light came on. Quick chat with Ceri, who was here to pick the car up (sorry I didn't stay and chat too much).

Then inside for a quick brew & p*ss. And then outside started pissing it down, then hail, then rain again. So I'll be blagging the old mans car for tonight. Might have to be motorbike tomorrow 🤔 

3 hours ago, Spurious said:

Watched this video by BigClive, this seems like an handy bit of kit for odd jobs, and if Clive likes it, then it's hardly bad. The last time I needed a soldering iron I'd to plug an extension lead in and drape it across the garden and then it was still a faff. 

Love big Clive, one of the Scotch* finest.

On soldering irons, I do have a gas one but it's a bit hard to light and you can't exactly rest it on the dash while it's lit.

I did buy a cheap battery one but it's useless, unless I'm using it wrong. 

57 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Latest car taking up residence in my lockup . It’s a 2.8i too. It’s for sale if anyone fancies it .

36A9948E-7060-4BBD-9455-AE0542FC3BE4.thumb.jpeg.09b3e05808552229c057da48133e9261.jpeg

Absolutely delicious. I think my Corgi model was this colour. 

I'd love to buy it but I imagine it's way into five figures, in which case I'm too poor.

4 minutes ago, grogee said:

Absolutely delicious. I think my Corgi model was this colour. 

I'd love to buy it but I imagine it's way into five figures, in which case I'm too poor.

I think he want 6-7 grand for it with a years mot. It’s going to need someone to do some work to in the future to make sure it doesn’t dissolve long term .

20 hours ago, Liggle said:

New ABS ring fitted to the Clio and the light has gone out and no more pulsing brake pedal.

The airbag light is peeing me off, I've checked and cleaned all the connectors and tried 2x new modules from breakers to no avail. Was hoping to avoid bypassing the airbags but might need a temp fix for the MOT

PXL_20211205_163907464.jpg

What’s coming back if you scan the airbag faults? These are prone for snapping the wires to the side airbag in the seats where the backrest joins the base.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, LabRat said:

We're still fighting with Ageas over Mrs LabRats shunt in the Tivoli a few weeks back. The repairs garage that they use initially refused to take any cars from Oldham, then relented and said that they would send us a link to email them photos of the damage, to enable them to order parts. (Apparently we're looking at 12-18 weeks parts shipping from Korea, so they won't take the car away until they have them)

They've now stopped answering the phone and Ageas are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Only the claims handler that Mrs LabRat spoke to can deal with the claim and she's "not available" and hasn't been for the last week.

In the meanwhile, the Tivoli can't be driven as the headlight falls out, front wing has exposed edges is now out of MOT and has thrown an ABS light as well just for the hell of it. It's also got a flat battery, because can't get near it to jump it thanks to arsehole neighbors.

It's tempting to sack them off, flog the fucking thing to WBAC and use the cash to pay off the last of the finance on it (she still owes £1500 on it)

I’m normally loath to recommend accident management companies but in this instance, that’s where I’d be heading next…

Squeaked over Snake Pass before they shut it at 1pm this afternoon for safety reasons. Gawd bless Michelin Cross Climates. Enabled me to overtake 6 strugglers whose wheels were spinning like crazy up the last big hill before the downhill section to Glossop.

TBF, I really was chancing my arm. Pissing with rain in Sheffield and I reckoned it could turn to snow over the Pass. It did....and then some. 

Other motorists felt the best thing to do was drive slowly at 10mph - up a hill. Fuck that, I wasn't gonna get stuck behind them when they inevitably failed to reach the summit. [clarkson mode]POWER[/clarkson]. Coasted up the hill at 30mph leaving a quickly disappearing trail of slow moving ve-hickles behind me. No skids, no loss of traction, no skid marks in the undercrackers. Win.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/live-updates-heavy-snow-closes-6308962

34 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

What’s coming back if you scan the airbag faults? These are prone for snapping the wires to the side airbag in the seats where the backrest joins the base.

On the original air bag module:

111 - Airbag Missing Multiplexed Information - Stored

I've tried 2x other modules and the fault remains, although I don't have access to a scanner again until next week so the fault could have changed I guess with new module. 

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I think he want 6-7 grand for it with a years mot. It’s going to need someone to do some work to in the future to make sure it doesn’t dissolve long term .

That seems reasonable. How bad is it, do you know? I'm ok at slowing down the rust, but useless at welding. 

33 minutes ago, grogee said:

That seems reasonable. How bad is it, do you know? I'm ok at slowing down the rust, but useless at welding. 

It's going to needs some fun time with Mr Sparkles at some point soon I would think. It's probably fine to get through and MOT but to keep it nice long term it's going to need a bit of work.

Went to see this this afternoon and I wish I hadn't wasted my time. 

Firstly, they text me that it's not at the address but at a back street storage unit where there's a load of taxis been repaired. Not a good sign really. 

No service history, well, there is but it was stamped in 2015. That's it. They try and say "well it probably had an oil change at some point" 

Timing belt? No, they don't need changing for 10 years don't they? Surprised when I told him they were a 6yrs and 70,000 miles and should have had one two years ago. 

Also a nast rip in the drivers seat that was left out of the photos as well as stains all over the seats. 

Tried to convince me that they would do the timing belt if I paid the asking price. Probably in the dodgy no-name garage where the Taxis swap tyres between each other for the council MOT? 

Off you fucking hop. 

Link here for those interested. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109277854673?atmobcid=soc3

Screenshot_20211206_175612_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg

10 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Covid is horrible. Still exhausted & coughing but refusing to give up and rest because I'm an idiot.

We were allowed out on Saturday. The Missus is still coughing badly, so she's not been anywhere.

Whereas I decided to do a large amount of shopping and go to the ice hockey on both Saturday and Sunday night. I work from home and can be very inactive so didn't really consider it.

Still had to go to bed at lunchtime for an hour today. I'm toying with going up shortly with a book, I'm fucked. It wasn't something I associated with Covid.

24 minutes ago, jcr said:

Turns out my Micra has had an Almera distributor put on it.... only found out after ordering the wrong cap and rotor. Old ones have finally properly died as well....

Very strange, unsure why that happened?

I think the Almera and Micra cylinder heads are identical or at least very similar to each other. It is just essentially a Hall Effect sensor, reluctor ring, ignition module, cap and rotor so there's not much that can be changed.

2 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

We were allowed out on Saturday. The Missus is still coughing badly, so she's not been anywhere.

Whereas I decided to do a large amount of shopping and go to the ice hockey on both Saturday and Sunday night. I work from home and can be very inactive so didn't really consider it.

Still had to go to bed at lunchtime for an hour today. I'm toying with going up shortly with a book, I'm fucked. It wasn't something I associated with Covid.

The after effects of Covid can be absolutely knackering.  Trying to power through is likely to lead to long Covid bringing you down for months, it's much better to give yourself the rest you need now, then hopefully you'll be over it in a couple of weeks.

This is a bad idea, but I'm thinking out loud, so to speak. 

Any shitters with a You Tube or other social media, do you want to experiment with diesel engine runaway?

My Mondeo is literally trying to run away right now, any heavy or full throttle makes it start. Currently I'm able to bring it back down using the brakes as its only happening when I'm loading it up eg giving it the beans up hills. An overtake would end up in disaster, not least because of the smoke screen it produces in this condition that HMS Belfast would consider adequate to withdraw behind. 

Therefore this could be used to test and therefore educate the wider public if you can prevent runaway from static by using full braking power and high gears and dumping the clutch therefore stalling the engine. 

You'd have to have access to waste land, say an ex-industrial unit, you'd have to give me scrap value for the car and transport it to the location (it won't make a long journey safely under its own steam).

You'd probably have to make sure no-one is going to want to breathe down wind, that there's not many people to complain about the noise and you might want to tell the fire brigade that there's not a fire, it's just a social media stunt. 

You'd probably want to consider the possibility of the radiator exploding in a hot steamy mess of plastic shrapnel and have more than just a hanky and hand gel as a first aid precaution. 

You might want to plant a small forest to re-absord the co2 released...

If the above is deemed possible, the method i would employ would be to drive the car, warm it up, then go for a second gear full throttle run. This will result in a runaway, then you can film the attempt to recover both from moving and also from static simply by going into neutral and coming to a stop, then attempting recovery. 

The car is goosed right now so it won't mind sacrificing itself for the greater good. 

Though, as I said, I'm fully aware this is probably just a silly and very dangerously polluting idea.

19 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Squeaked over Snake Pass before they shut it at 1pm this afternoon for safety reasons. Gawd bless Michelin Cross Climates. Enabled me to overtake 6 strugglers whose wheels were spinning like crazy up the last big hill before the downhill section to Glossop.

TBF, I really was chancing my arm. Pissing with rain in Sheffield and I reckoned it could turn to snow over the Pass. It did....and then some. 

Other motorists felt the best thing to do was drive slowly at 10mph - up a hill. Fuck that, I wasn't gonna get stuck behind them when they inevitably failed to reach the summit. [clarkson mode]POWER[/clarkson]. Coasted up the hill at 30mph leaving a quickly disappearing trail of slow moving ve-hickles behind me. No skids, no loss of traction, no skid marks in the undercrackers. Win.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/live-updates-heavy-snow-closes-6308962

So bloody glad I've got a set of Crossclimate 2 on Alison! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

Speaking of which... @barefoot

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/zz-top-kermit-and-the-beast-among-most-unusual-car-names-dvla-reveals

ZZ Top, Kermit, and The Beast among most unusual car names DVLA reveals

Research by DVLA shows that 1 in 6 motorists have named their car, with 27% of those surveyed admitting they had given their motor a moniker.

Re diesel runaway - when I had a Movano which was doing the same thing I loosened the Jubilee clip on the pipe into the air filter box and carried an old HBOL in the cab with me.  The idea was that if the engine did properly run away, I could pop the bonnet, yank the pipe off the air box and hold the HBOL (other large useless hardback books are available) over the intake to starve the engine of air.  That might be worth doing as a failsafe if someone does go down that route and the engine can't be stalled on the clutch - it might prevent the engine from seizing suddenly at 5,000rpm and yeeting its DMF through the radiator.

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

Glad to see the DVLA's mathematical skills haven't been affected by lockdown.

I wonder how many people they asked?  6 random civil servant office worker types in a Welsh city beginning with SW and not far from Cardiff. 

43 minutes ago, SiC said:

Speaking of which... @barefoot

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/zz-top-kermit-and-the-beast-among-most-unusual-car-names-dvla-reveals

ZZ Top, Kermit, and The Beast among most unusual car names DVLA reveals

Research by DVLA shows that 1 in 6 motorists have named their car, with 27% of those surveyed admitting they had given their motor a moniker.

Kermit unusual? I would have thought anyone with a bright green car (I'm looking at you in particular Focus RS owners) would call theirs this?

And "The Beast" being unusual? I bet half the people with a collection of shite have a "beast" in their collection.

46 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I was wasting time on YT the other day and one person experiencing  a Runaway Engine used a Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher. Another used some sort of textile thing and stuffed it into the turbo. 

Fuck getting anywhere near any of that! 

😱

when I was at uni we were doing some work in an engine Dyno, there was about 5 engines in the room  on dyno. Pre heath and safety days as the students were just stood next to the running engine and not in the control room.  Next thing it lunches its turbo and starts running away on its oil.  Luckily the lab technician was at the other side of the room and sprang to action, running over and almost leaping through the air to stuff his white lab coat down the intake and shut it off before any of us dipshits even knew what was going on