The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

Billy has passed with just a couple of advisories, one of which was coolant leak. I was aware of this and had asked the garage to resolve.

I've told Susie, Oscar, Willy & Yasmine, who are all thrilled for 'him'.

Car enthusiast? I am really nothing more than a complete & utter twat.

3 cheers for billy !!!!

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

Great! There's been a strange noise from one of the rear wheels since they did it, I thought it was the pads bedding in but there was a "clonk" noise when I reversed this morning and now the drivers side back wheel is all bound up and will barely turn.

Fuck me, if you want something doing right.....

Well in the garages defence, within half an hour of calling them they had it picked up on a flatbed. Not heard anything yet.

427227053_2021-12-0113_51_28.thumb.jpg.be1fbcc1bfef0fc57a1131c487b97d7c.jpg

Starting MOT prep on the Clio, I've never changed this style of anti roll bar link before and it's far fiddlier than it should be! Give me a strut to bar drop link any day

PXL_20211201_164437301.jpg

I've still got a few jobs:

ABS ring

Steering rack boot

Airbag ECU/module

Exhaust hanger bracket

Everything has been a sod to get off, I'm halfway through cutting one of the ball joint nuts off as I rounded the bolt head going a bit gung ho 😩

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

Billy has passed with just a couple of advisories, one of which was coolant leak. I was aware of this and had asked the garage to resolve.

I've told Susie, Oscar, Willy & Yasmine, who are all thrilled for 'him'.

Car enthusiast? I am really nothing more than a complete & utter twat.

You asked them to fix the leak and they still put it down.

I think Billy needs to have a word.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Well over 1,000miles done in the Micra and a few idle issues aside it's been rock solid and not let me down, clearly got a handle on it's niggles now. 

Latest problem is the exhaust has snapped sounds like just before the silencer, being pre-1995 it only has a engine bay cat, so plenty of options, pondering a cheeky cherry bomb for no logical reason than it could make me 😃

Do it.

29 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Well over 1,000miles done in the Micra and a few idle issues aside it's been rock solid and not let me down, clearly got a handle on it's niggles now. 

Latest problem is the exhaust has snapped sounds like just before the silencer, being pre-1995 it only has a engine bay cat, so plenty of options, pondering a cheeky cherry bomb for no logical reason than it could make me 😃

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133942060796?hash=item1f2f91a6fc:g:rVIAAOSwc99ejdyc

you know it makes sense.

Had my swirl flaps removed and blanked on the e90 the other day. If anyone is fairly local, Marc’s Independent BMW is the name of the garage based in Aldridge, and he is utterly brilliant.

I’ve done the job once before myself but my back ached and I hated it so i farmed it out this time. Car has no flat spots at all now. However the dreaded driveline vibration on heavy acceleration is more noticeable now and I remember the fellow shiter from whom I purchased it said the coupling doughnut was worn on the MOT. 

Jesus Christ I didn’t know the part was a pricey as was the labour!? Very expensive month it seems, but will be worth it.

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

Still heard nothing since it was picked up 🤷‍♂️. It was parked in the corner of their yard when I went past last night but it wasn't in pieces (they're about 100m away from my house)

Well, fair play to them, just got a very apologetic phone call. The shoe retaining pins had snapped. Got a bit of a cock and bull story about what caused it ("It can happen when bedding in 🙃"), but it's all sorted, there's no charge and he's dropped it back off on my drive.

5 hours ago, MondeoBlues said:

You're right, but I was having to leave it at the tester's place outdoors overnight because of work commitments and the 924 lets enough weather in as it is. More convenient to reschedule for next week.

Good luck getting the window and the MOT, chod speed and all that. 

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Mrs Grogee WhatsApp: "Hello can you get me some new wipers please"

(this isn't really a question)

Me: "I only put some on end of last year. What's up?"

Her: "Hmm they're really scraping across the screen and not really cleaning"

Me: "Ah, that'll be because they're frozen, dearest."

Wifey (while looking at cars to buy): why has this one got different number plates?

Me: eh?

Wifey: it has a yellow number plate on the rear. 

Me: ??? Are you joking?

Wifey: no, do they all have yellow number plates at the back?

Me: - no more words. Laughing too hard/too much disbelief. 

I'm now Old.  I must be.  My eldest grandson sent a pic the other day of his first car, because he's finally passed his driving test: third attempt, just after his 19th birthday, which puts him about the same age I was when I passed mine.

Oh the car?  A baby-blue Pug 107, 61 plate.  Apparently a real Grandma job.

Anyway: well done Connor.

Van project continues, yesterday was mot time, this also meant driving it for the first time, it was actually nice on the road, steering is quite light and the brakes are very sharp but nothing untoward, pleasingly it passed the mot too, one of the rear tyres was badly cracked so I had a pair of the cheapest 'Comforter' tyres fitted which added another £108 to the bill. 

IMG_20211201_135633.thumb.jpg.1ab8ee10ea732efd2db3aec7f9aac40a.jpg

But at least it's all safe now, I then dropped it off for the cambelt & water pump change, good job I did too as the belt was almost at braking point! 

received_641980680508288.thumb.jpeg.94c58e1ae6c1435fba19090b9356e1bc.jpeg

received_797407771095633.thumb.jpeg.69bfc360f02b8e2f360cbef617c5dbce.jpeg

received_303357791661842.thumb.jpeg.2072d9f9fc3a128e64e685ebb37e1579.jpeg

Scary! These are 10 year/125000 mile belts and the vans at 134000 so only very slightly over, I bet loads break before they are due to change. 

I'll get the van home tomorrow, probably use it for a week or two to make sure it's OK and then get it sold, my dad's interest in it as its a really nice well sorted van now but if he doesn't have it should sell quick enough anyway. 

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Wifey (while looking at cars to buy): why has this one got different number plates?

Me: eh?

Wifey: it has a yellow number plate on the rear. 

Me: ??? Are you joking?

Wifey: no, do they all have yellow number plates at the back?

Me: - no more words. Laughing too hard/too much disbelief. 

Am sure you're both compatible, but in other ways.

Had a bit of a glitch with the Scénic earlier.  Got in it to drive to Tesco, started it up, went to drive away and it beeped at me and a "Check parking brake" message flashed up on the screen.  I tried to drive away and sure enough one of the rear wheels was locked solid.  I cycled the parking brake several times - the motor was working fine but one of the wheels wasn't releasing.  I switched off, removed the key card and got out, and as soon as I opened the door the car started beeping frantically at me and a red "Stop Vehicle" message came up on the screen - despite the fact that the car was stationary with the engine off.  I locked the car and the beeping stopped, but the LED on the parking brake switch was still flashing.  Unlocked, got back in, started up, into gear and the brake released fine, the warning went away and off I drove to Tesco.

I wonder what caused it?  We had some sleet / hail type shiz earlier and the temperature was sub-zero when I went out so I wonder if something might have got frozen, but it's going to be a bit of a chore if the parking brake sharts itself every time it gets a bit chilly out...

It also needs new glow plugs - this is the first time I've fired it up when it's been below freezing and it took quite a bit of cranking before it fired.  On the plus side, the heater gets warm incredibly quickly for a small diesel engine.