The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, DVee8 said:

The Mercedes Tea cup symbol. What does it mean? Allow us to explain. The coffee cup icon, when illuminated in the instrument cluster display on your Mercedes-Benz, indicates that the ATTENTION ASSIST® system is turned on. ATTENTION ASSIST® is a vehicle feature that will detect signs of drowsy driving and tell you when it's time to take a break.

The coffee cup just means that Attention Assyst is active, there's nothing to reset. If the car detects you are tired, then a big message will come up in the display warning you to stop and have a rest. You can de-activate Attention Assyst fro. The Assyst menu if you don't want it active.

Thanks, I'm unlikely to see in it action then as I only cover six or seven miles in four hours. And I've got my Pug back now anyway. 

48 minutes ago, SiC said:

Did you need to disengage the handbrake manually? Many cars will disengage when driving off and apply it automatically when stopped. 

Stalk for automatic control is something many vehicles have been doing for decades. 

No, I tried that, I forced it to do about half a van length with the handbrake firmly on and then reversed back again before I thought I'd better go get help. I even had a look at the handbook first but it had about 300 pages and mentioned hill start assist and stuff, which this didn't need being an auto. It's the first thing I've driven with a handfootbrake so it's no wonder I got confused. It was fine once I knew what to to do but it's no surprise I missed it, it was quite small. 

It's actually not that different from my old automatic Landcrabs. They had a fly off handbrake under the dash and a gear selector on the right hand side though it was cable operated and you could very much feel each gear being selected. 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:45 PM, cobblers said:

Theres a garage about 100 yards from where we live now and they have a reasonable reputation. I'm mega busy so rather than piss about taking it to my usual place miles away, I just chucked them the keys to the camper (2017 boxer) and said crack on and give it an MOT,  and a service while you're at it.

It's the first time I've used a garage to do general work for about 15 years - They picked it up off the drive this morning and dropped it off all done at 5:45PM.

It's a class 7 so they had to drive it to Sheffield for the MOT, which it passed but with shit back brakes as an advisory, Can't argue really, they really were shit.

They did all filters, oil, new rear disks and pads plus the MOT.  £520 with the VAT which seemed a bit steep on the face of it, but broken down I can't really knock em too hard. It takes a shitload of oil (7 litres) the parts for the rear brakes were £120+ vat and they had to drive it 35 miles for the test so some dude was tied up all morning.

They've set the handbrake up nice, I'll give them that.

The cost still stings a bit but that's the price I pay, I suppose. I could have got the service bits for £90, the brakes for £110, took it for the test for £55 so I suppose I've paid £250 for what would have been about a day of my time to get all the stuff done myself. I don't really have a spare day and if I did I wouldn't want to use it servicing a modern van.

Great! There's been a strange noise from one of the rear wheels since they did it, I thought it was the pads bedding in but there was a "clonk" noise when I reversed this morning and now the drivers side back wheel is all bound up and will barely turn.

Fuck me, if you want something doing right.....

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

'Good luck Billy' shouted an utter twat as he left him at the garage.

Billy has passed with just a couple of advisories, one of which was coolant leak. I was aware of this and had asked the garage to resolve.

I've told Susie, Oscar, Willy & Yasmine, who are all thrilled for 'him'.

Car enthusiast? I am really nothing more than a complete & utter twat.

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

Billy has passed with just a couple of advisories, one of which was coolant leak. I was aware of this and had asked the garage to resolve.

3 cheers for billy !!!!

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

Great! There's been a strange noise from one of the rear wheels since they did it, I thought it was the pads bedding in but there was a "clonk" noise when I reversed this morning and now the drivers side back wheel is all bound up and will barely turn.

Fuck me, if you want something doing right.....

Well in the garages defence, within half an hour of calling them they had it picked up on a flatbed. Not heard anything yet.

427227053_2021-12-0113_51_28.thumb.jpg.be1fbcc1bfef0fc57a1131c487b97d7c.jpg

Starting MOT prep on the Clio, I've never changed this style of anti roll bar link before and it's far fiddlier than it should be! Give me a strut to bar drop link any day

PXL_20211201_164437301.jpg

I've still got a few jobs:

ABS ring

Steering rack boot

Airbag ECU/module

Exhaust hanger bracket

Everything has been a sod to get off, I'm halfway through cutting one of the ball joint nuts off as I rounded the bolt head going a bit gung ho 😩

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

You asked them to fix the leak and they still put it down.

I think Billy needs to have a word.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Well over 1,000miles done in the Micra and a few idle issues aside it's been rock solid and not let me down, clearly got a handle on it's niggles now. 

Latest problem is the exhaust has snapped sounds like just before the silencer, being pre-1995 it only has a engine bay cat, so plenty of options, pondering a cheeky cherry bomb for no logical reason than it could make me 😃

Do it.

29 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Well over 1,000miles done in the Micra and a few idle issues aside it's been rock solid and not let me down, clearly got a handle on it's niggles now. 

Latest problem is the exhaust has snapped sounds like just before the silencer, being pre-1995 it only has a engine bay cat, so plenty of options, pondering a cheeky cherry bomb for no logical reason than it could make me 😃

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133942060796?hash=item1f2f91a6fc:g:rVIAAOSwc99ejdyc

you know it makes sense.

Had my swirl flaps removed and blanked on the e90 the other day. If anyone is fairly local, Marc’s Independent BMW is the name of the garage based in Aldridge, and he is utterly brilliant.

I’ve done the job once before myself but my back ached and I hated it so i farmed it out this time. Car has no flat spots at all now. However the dreaded driveline vibration on heavy acceleration is more noticeable now and I remember the fellow shiter from whom I purchased it said the coupling doughnut was worn on the MOT. 

Jesus Christ I didn’t know the part was a pricey as was the labour!? Very expensive month it seems, but will be worth it.