The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Mrcento said:

I'd say odds are that's not happening, it's already down to cars only, 30mph and folk are coming off with brown trousers and begging them to close it.

Forecast to get worse in a few hours.

Got across ok, first time I've seen the 30 limit actually being obeyed by everyone! It's definitely getting worse.

4 fences down and 2 escaped wheelie bins, 1 i rescued at 01.30 that had somehow moved passed Ben's Fiat 500, my X-Trail and MrsV8's Mini . The other full of rubbish I retrived at 05.00 in between Ben's Fiat and my car.

When it's light we'll see what the damage is.

Edit, nextdoor has a wheelie bin on her bonnet and front bumper of her 18plate Fiat 500

Who takes a wagon up Standedge during drifting snow and a gale. The Jimny was fine, locked in 4wd and mountain goated through the snow but a wagon got stuck coming up the other way at a temporary one way. Myself and a xtrail driver going to work managed to get the wagon to begrudgingly move to the side to let us through. 

Also not sure where all this traffic is doing on a Saturday morning, usually only pass a car or two up there. 

The Audi bugged out and the Astra did too. 

2 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Strong winds here last night, almost no roads open to get home!

A neighbour finished restoring a classic and rover last week.

IMG-20211127-WA0001.thumb.jpg.8a8a057b49811e633ffaa98b357a6360.jpg

what do you think, that will buff out, right?

I'm no LR fanboi but that is an absolute tragedy, genuinely sad for your neighbour. Poor bloke

On 11/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, wuvvum said:

Aaand today the Scénic's wipers are working perfectly again.

I really don't understand this car.  It also puts me in a bit of a quandary - I was going to have a go at taking the wipers apart this weekend and cleaning the connections, but I'm now worried that if I do that they might stop working again permanently - that wasn't an issue when they weren't working anyway but would be a bit of a bugger now.  I really need to find a dry day to take it in for a retest so that I don't have to use the wipers, but looking at the forecast for next week that's not looking very likely.

Before I can take it in I need to replace the rear springs - this looks like it should be an easy 30-minute job (jack the rear of the car up nice and high, wheels off, bottom shock mounts undone, drop the axle, ping the old springs out, pop the new in, reassembly is the reverse of removal) but being modern, French and generally a bit temperamental you can guarantee it's not going to be that easy...

If it's an intermittent problem it probably is a bad connection, so worth at least a check of the plugs and motors. There's a procedure to resynchronize the motors with each other on the Renault forum is they do get out of synch.

Some hail yesterday afternoon turned everything white for a bit, but no snow over in these parts just yet... and fortunately the massive trampoline in the garden of the house behind didn't quite make it over our hedge to destroy the plants and saplings, instead getting stuck at an awkward angle.

Bloody trampolines.

No snow in Roundabout city. Was hoping to take a drive out in the MR2 with the hood down tomorrow as it's looking sunny (and cold). Unfortunately, we're isolating possibly until next Friday. We had a PCR on Wednesday, but they've lost it. So did another today. They're saying it's likely we'll find out Monday.

I think it's just a cold, but the Missus has the worst cough. I just feel as rough as old boots.

The dog has got the proper hump, because she's not getting a walk other than round the block. One of the disadadvantages of living in a village where you don't really know anyone. I've hinted at my son that the dog might fancy a walk, but he's not biting and I believe he's quite busy this weekend anyway.

At least we have food, or will have, when Morrisons rock up at 9pm. Have deliberately ordered a litre of rum and a couple of tubs of heroes with the weekly shop. Getting the priorities right 😂

Oh and annoyingly, the new S204 Merc definitely has a radiator leak. Not huge - bearing in mind I've done around 1500 miles, but it's lost about 100ml. I'm going to be chasing that one round forever aren't I. I'll see what the folk on the Mercedes forum think.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, clayts450 said:

TBF, I will be up in the Derbyshire Dales/Peak District on Saturday on a regular delivery run, and the white stuff might make an appearance up there. Cos the Express says so. And Sky

So armed with my new Cross Climate Pluses, the van and I did the run from Nottingham to Mcr today. Annoyingly, an extra pick-up manifested itself, meaning I had to divert to Sheffield, right next to the A57. Sheffield was OMGSNOKAOS in parts but the Michelins made short work of that.

I knew Snake Pass would be fucked, so bobbed up the 61, then up to Stockbridge to meet up with the 616, with the aim of going over Woodhead. Nah, road closed. FFS.

Had to continue up the 616, through Last of the Summer Wine-ville, then Huddersfield and  onto the M62. Probably earned a speeding ticket too, as I battled to get past some dimwit who pulled out in front of me with zero notice, and then proceeded to dawdle at 20mph on perfectly clear and well sighted roads. Shot past him, only to be greeted by the 'bing bing bing - fixed camera' warning from TomTom. Ah fuck. Might just have lost enough speed, but with any luck the snow on the road may have wiped out the marker lines. 14 days of agony whilst I await the kiss of the brown envelope through the letterbox.

M62 hilarious - no snow (in spite of the 120 trucks that got caught out in Rochdale last night), but fuck me it was windy up there. The weekender drivers were struggling big time. Got to Salford at 1.30pm, having added 30 miles to my outbound trip - normally I drop around 12.30. 

Mind you, not as bad as being stuck in a jam at the Mottram end of the M67 last night. Enough time to listen to all of the A-side singles on New Order's Substance (about 75 minutes). Bah.

In a slight* surprise to me, I'm now arranging a collection mission.

A good friend's mum sadly died after a lengthy battle with various illnesses last week, and they have a limited time to clear out the house. A discussion that started with "Can you help us get/wipe data off her old tech?" led to a jokey "Know anyone who wants a car?"... and now here I am booking train tickets. Paying a little less than scrap price to cover the cost of the tickets - did tell them they'd get more for it on marketplace/through cartakeback themselves, but given everything else on their plate at the minute they decided they were happy for me to just come and get it and no further hassle.

It's got 3 weeks MOT, it's not moved for 9 months, it's in Berkshire, I haven't seen any photos of it, and I only know what car it is (I'll save that for the inevitable collection thread) from reg lookup. What could possibly go wrong?