The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 minutes ago, grogee said:

Today I went to look at this, a 1998 Fiat Brava. It had potential* especially for an Autoshite project but seller wouldn't go lower than £600 which is too rich (for me) for an old Fiat with no MoT. Even if it is only 28,000 miles.

To be honest I hadn't run it past Mrs Grogee (the Steering Committee) so probably a lucky escape from a tongue lashing (not the good kind).

Screenshot_20211124-162810.png

IMG_20211126_125033559.jpg

That's lovely. Not £600 lovely though.  The seller probably cant see past the low mileage. I'm going to guess it's going to sit there until either the seller realises they're not going to get rid and lowers the price, or they might be a miserable tight git and let it sit until its too far gone.

16 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That's lovely. Not £600 lovely though.  The seller probably cant see past the low mileage. I'm going to guess it's going to sit there until either the seller realises they're not going to get rid and lowers the price, or they might be a miserable tight git and let it sit until its too far gone.

Exactly what I thought. He said, "I'd rather keep it than let it go for less than £600."

Looks like you're keeping it then mate. I don't need or even want a Fiat Brava, but I thought it might be a fun project and an interesting trip back in time to when cars were A Bit More Shit than they are now. 

I think when he produced the replacement master cylinder still in its packaging I was thinking, "this is more trouble than I want to get into". I mean, not a terrible job I'm sure, but that's on top of the service, cam belt and windscreen it needs

Ooft, fuck that.

Its not as if people will be beating his door down for it. Only a few blokes in a beige corner of the internet would be interested and only only if its cheap.

He'll be weighing it in for a few hundred this time next year. Plonker.

There's a 51 plate Bravnear me, that I have major want for, it's very tidy.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

I think when he produced the replacement master cylinder still in its packaging I was thinking, "this is more trouble than I want to get into". I mean, not a terrible job I'm sure, but that's on top of the service, cam belt and windscreen it needs

Brake or clutch? If it's clutch master, it's presumably a sod of a job, as it is on the Multipla.

New Hey Road in the Jimny was fun* in the Jimny.  The M62 was basically bumper to bumper eastbound from Manchester over the hills. So I put my brave pants on and went over the tops. 

The morning is also going to be fun, but a Saturday should reduce the chance of people crashing on the motorway. Equally as windy but you can't get blown off the side of a mountain unlike New Hey Road as there's barriers to stop you 🙃

1 hour ago, Mrcento said:

I'd say odds are that's not happening, it's already down to cars only, 30mph and folk are coming off with brown trousers and begging them to close it.

Forecast to get worse in a few hours.

Got across ok, first time I've seen the 30 limit actually being obeyed by everyone! It's definitely getting worse.

4 fences down and 2 escaped wheelie bins, 1 i rescued at 01.30 that had somehow moved passed Ben's Fiat 500, my X-Trail and MrsV8's Mini . The other full of rubbish I retrived at 05.00 in between Ben's Fiat and my car.

When it's light we'll see what the damage is.

Edit, nextdoor has a wheelie bin on her bonnet and front bumper of her 18plate Fiat 500

Who takes a wagon up Standedge during drifting snow and a gale. The Jimny was fine, locked in 4wd and mountain goated through the snow but a wagon got stuck coming up the other way at a temporary one way. Myself and a xtrail driver going to work managed to get the wagon to begrudgingly move to the side to let us through. 

Also not sure where all this traffic is doing on a Saturday morning, usually only pass a car or two up there. 

The Audi bugged out and the Astra did too. 

2 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Strong winds here last night, almost no roads open to get home!

A neighbour finished restoring a classic and rover last week.

IMG-20211127-WA0001.thumb.jpg.8a8a057b49811e633ffaa98b357a6360.jpg

what do you think, that will buff out, right?

I'm no LR fanboi but that is an absolute tragedy, genuinely sad for your neighbour. Poor bloke

On 11/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, wuvvum said:

Aaand today the Scénic's wipers are working perfectly again.

I really don't understand this car.  It also puts me in a bit of a quandary - I was going to have a go at taking the wipers apart this weekend and cleaning the connections, but I'm now worried that if I do that they might stop working again permanently - that wasn't an issue when they weren't working anyway but would be a bit of a bugger now.  I really need to find a dry day to take it in for a retest so that I don't have to use the wipers, but looking at the forecast for next week that's not looking very likely.

Before I can take it in I need to replace the rear springs - this looks like it should be an easy 30-minute job (jack the rear of the car up nice and high, wheels off, bottom shock mounts undone, drop the axle, ping the old springs out, pop the new in, reassembly is the reverse of removal) but being modern, French and generally a bit temperamental you can guarantee it's not going to be that easy...

If it's an intermittent problem it probably is a bad connection, so worth at least a check of the plugs and motors. There's a procedure to resynchronize the motors with each other on the Renault forum is they do get out of synch.

Some hail yesterday afternoon turned everything white for a bit, but no snow over in these parts just yet... and fortunately the massive trampoline in the garden of the house behind didn't quite make it over our hedge to destroy the plants and saplings, instead getting stuck at an awkward angle.

Bloody trampolines.