The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Shame, don't see many ZT-Ts anymore.

If I had the money (which I definitely don't) I might end up looking for the v8 ZT-T and converting the outside so it looks like a boggo 75.

But then each to their own.  I like the factory looks, I'm not into the goofy comic stance either but hey it can always be unmodified in its next ownership. At least its still a ZT-T on the road in use and loved. 

40 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

No, those wheels look absolutely dreadful, don't suit the car at all, nor does the gangsta "stance".

Shame, don't see many ZT-Ts anymore.

The suspension isn't any lower than before, and it's back on factory sized tyres so it actually rides a little higher than it did on the steels. 

Nothing 'gangsta' about it tbh 🤷🏾‍♀️

31 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

If I had the money (which I definitely don't) I might end up looking for the v8 ZT-T and converting the outside so it looks like a boggo 75.

But then each to their own.  I like the factory looks, I'm not into the goofy comic stance either but hey it can always be unmodified in its next ownership. At least its still a ZT-T on the road in use and loved. 

Not really, no. Not without a fair bit of work. 

13 hours ago, Pete-M said:

This week I finally decided to buy myself an R53 Cooper S.

Spent quite some time looking for one with the spec I wanted, and finally found one with all the bits I was looking for - leather, climate, nav, cruise,  xenon, chili pack, sport suspension, pre-facelift, Cooper S only colour (Electric Blue). 

It is bloody good fun. The R53 Cooper S is 20 years old next year. Don't see many like this anymore. 

Only modifications to it are R56 rear trailing arms (stronger), non-runflat Bridgestones and polybushes. 

Nice! I regret being an "it's not a real mini" bore when these were current and totally overlooked them.

A friend had one just like this about 10-15 years ago. It needed a set of tyres and runflats were astronomical money back then so on balance I told him to just put some normal tyres on instead and get a can of tyre foam in the boot for all the good it'd do anyway. I think we ended up with some midrange like Toyos or Kumhos, and it absolutely transformed the car - it felt like you'd taken off a set of hobnailed boots and put some proper running shoes on. The guy was proper impressed that he'd saved about £500 and made the car a lot better to drive.

A few months later it went in to the main dealers for a service and they said it was "very very dangerous" to drive with non-runflats and charged him £1000 to take off the new tyres and put some much worse new ones on. 

I'm sure one of the workshop lads there ended up with a nice set of part worns, too.

17 hours ago, Pete-M said:

Spent quite some time looking for one with the spec I wanted, and finally found one with all the bits I was looking for - leather, climate, nav, cruise,  xenon, chili pack, sport suspension, pre-facelift, Cooper S only colour (Electric Blue). 

It is bloody good fun. The R53 Cooper S is 20 years old next year. Don't see many like this anymore. 

Only modifications to it are R56 rear trailing arms (stronger), non-runflat Bridgestones and polybushes. 

20211120_130008.jpg

FB_IMG_1637519634893.jpg

20211120_130011.jpg

20211120_130014.jpg

Those photos came alright, eh. 

It is an amusing vehicle, the R53. 

I think their time is upon us; I hated the Fisher Price pastiche 'My First Car' styling at the time but they were hiding some excellent chassis tuning underneath all the Cool Britannia puff. 

Pete's is mechanically excellent - it drives like an 18 month old car. The blower whine is pitch perfect, like a foley artist had to insert it into an action sequence. Weirdly, the power delivery itself isn't as flat as you'd imagine - it behaves more like a cammed 2 litre than a blown 1.6. 

5 hours ago, cobblers said:

Nice! I regret being an "it's not a real mini" bore when these were current and totally overlooked them.

There was a lot of that about. 

I've had a few "real" minis and other than the hilarious handling there's not much about them that appeals to me. 

The BMW minis also corner hilariously well, but they're comfy to drive and lots more refined, as you'd expect from a 40 year newer design. 

I never understood the huge dislike of these from old car folk. Ok, the BMW mini isn't as tiny as the original but people are a fair bit larger than they were in the 1950s. 😀

40 minutes ago, Pete-M said:

There was a lot of that about. 

I've had a few "real" minis and other than the hilarious handling there's not much about them that appeals to me. 

The BMW minis also corner hilariously well, but they're comfy to drive and lots more refined, as you'd expect from a 40 year newer design. 

I never understood the huge dislike of these from old car folk. Ok, the BMW mini isn't as tiny as the original but people are a fair bit larger than they were in the 1950s. 😀

I mentioned this before, early 2000s I was involved with a local mini group. I wasn't  full on but I went to the more interesting sounding events. 

One guy has a beautiful black mk1 Cooper S and there were people who kissed his arse constantly and looked at him like he was some sort of God. 

One meeting, I think it was a pub quiz, he turned up in a Bini Cooper. He still had the mk1, just left it at home. 

Some went out to have a look and sit in, but I saw people actually turn their back on him and refused to speak to him. 

The same people who sucked up to him before. 

I turned up in a Sierra and no one said a word. (mini was in bits). 

That was the last meet I went to, and proved everything you ever suspected about one make car clubs. 

On 11/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, grogee said:

Michelins, I hope? LJK Setright would be rotating in his grave if not. 

Forgot to add that the CX front discs and calipers were found to be still alright. Couldn't see enough of the pads, though, and some of that pad sensor wiring is looking a touch frayed....:

20211120_152118.jpg

20211120_152130.jpg

20211120_152138.jpg

20211120_152238.jpg

20211120_152304.jpg

20211120_152310.jpg

20211120_152322.jpg

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Forgot to add that the CX front discs and calipers were found to be still alright. Couldn't see enough of the pads, though, and some of that pad sensor wiring is looking a touch frayed....:

20211120_152118.jpg

20211120_152130.jpg

20211120_152138.jpg

20211120_152238.jpg

20211120_152304.jpg

20211120_152310.jpg

20211120_152322.jpg

They look like mighty 4-pot calipers on fairly small discs (compared to modernz). Bet it stops pretty well, I guess the magic suspension stops it squatting under hard braking?

Well it sort of works.

20211122_133139.thumb.jpg.2b0513cfe51ff9f88ca7fb346e3fb8a3.jpg

Didn't seem to want to open any further than that.  It closed again OK though, much to my relief.

The fan belt is indeed as loose as a hooker's whatsit, so I'll be getting that tightened.  Will need to get the car up on the ramps though as the alternator mounting bolt isn't really accessible from the top.

FSH:

20211122_133444.thumb.jpg.90ab3396af249b5ece687b8f3def35f9.jpg

That was about 40K ago so on mileage at least the belt should have a bit of life left in it.

The exhaust blow is coming from the downpipe near the manifold, which would explain why I had to drive all the way home with the heating on "recirculate".  It looks like it's been welded before and is blowing on the edge of the welded patch.  It's not a big hole but it does make a bit of noise being so close to the engine so that'll need sorting too - I'm going to Gun Gum it temporarily but it'll eventually need a new pipe - I'm hoping the bolts will come out without snapping, they look a bit heftier than the ones on the Swift to be fair.

The Charade drove back from the West Midlands happily enough.  It's surprisingly decent on the motorway for a 1-litre automatic - the engine is a bit buzzy as you'd expect, but it doesn't feel dangerously underpowered at all.  Off the line it's positively nippy.  The only issue that's going to need immediate attention is the heater is almost completely useless at anything above town speeds.  There's no temp gauge so I can't tell whether that's because the engine is running cold or the heater matrix is partially blocked.  I'm going to plug the laptop in and see if it'll read live data from the car so I can see what the coolant temp is doing.  When stationary it gets warm enough to defrost the windscreen, which is the essential thing.  Otherwise I rather like it - it's ridiculously easy to drive and surprisingly spacious for such a tiny car - I can fit in the back OK even with the driver's seat fully aft.  It used a bit more fuel than I was expecting, but then it's not really designed for long motorway journeys - also if the engine is running cool that will probably have an adverse effect on the fuel economy.  

The little green Fiesta is looking a lot less green now.

IMG_4038.thumb.JPG.279163648791d2518d63e1b0af8582a7.JPG

IMG_4041.thumb.JPG.b0278af474c8dd72662f891f0d474433.JPG

IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.6cc075fb81c80e347201995b6eb215b4.JPG

IMG_4042.thumb.JPG.291f78aec8c4323b45547f854849808b.JPG

IMG_4044.thumb.JPG.30baf5b18273cf2d12cb5e09802cbc99.JPG

IMG_4043.thumb.JPG.e2dc48468363d2af2ea0852c9e0ed1cd.JPG

It's remarkable how tidy it was under all that green moss and algae but I've now hit a snag, It won't rev over 3800 rpm and smokes when on the limiter, the ecu comes up with a P132B fault code which is a turbo actuator or boost fault? I'm not sure how deep i want to go into fixing that yet as i have no experience in them? other than a needing a new windscreen it's almost ready for a mot now though.

19 minutes ago, grogee said:

They look like mighty 4-pot calipers on fairly small discs (compared to modernz). Bet it stops pretty well, I guess the magic suspension stops it squatting under hard braking?

It does. It stops a touch* better now that the ancient Maxxis tyres (date code was from, er, 16 years ago) have been binned.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, stuboy said:

Fitted the uim cover to the v6 today,  seems they was not about for long so sell quickly when come up for sale... 

Any one recommend a good plastics treatment?

20211119_155038.jpg

20211119_160602.jpg

Thought I'd add a splash of colour by painting the letters and numbers..

20211122_085715.jpg

20211122_085712.jpg

20211121_185911.jpg

1 hour ago, trigger said:

The little green Fiesta is looking a lot less green now.

IMG_4038.thumb.JPG.279163648791d2518d63e1b0af8582a7.JPG

IMG_4041.thumb.JPG.b0278af474c8dd72662f891f0d474433.JPG

IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.6cc075fb81c80e347201995b6eb215b4.JPG

IMG_4042.thumb.JPG.291f78aec8c4323b45547f854849808b.JPG

IMG_4044.thumb.JPG.30baf5b18273cf2d12cb5e09802cbc99.JPG

IMG_4043.thumb.JPG.e2dc48468363d2af2ea0852c9e0ed1cd.JPG

It's remarkable how tidy it was under all that green moss and algae but I've now hit a snag, It won't rev over 3800 rpm and smokes when on the limiter, the ecu comes up with a P132B fault code which is a turbo actuator or boost fault? I'm not sure how deep i want to go into fixing that yet as i have no experience in them? other than a needing a new windscreen it's almost ready for a mot now though.

Don't make the mistake I made on my Espace. I assumed the noisy turbo was the culprit and spent quite a bit of time and money replacing it. Turned out that it was the solenoid valve that directs vacuum to the turbo (VGT?) actuator.

The valve was £30 and ten minutes to fit...

If you like I will see what I can dig out on Ford ETIS for the solenoid, assuming there is one. 

22 hours ago, Pete-M said:

20211120_130008.jpg

FB_IMG_1637519634893.jpg

20211120_130011.jpg

20211120_130014.jpg

Nice this. I nearly went and had a look at a 2004 copper S convertible on facebook last week. The oil leaks, and MPG put me off getting one this time but I will definitely have one at some point.

2 hours ago, tom13 said:

Nice this. I nearly went and had a look at a 2004 copper S convertible on facebook last week. The oil leaks, and MPG put me off getting one this time but I will definitely have one at some point.

My one has had pretty much all the gaskets replaced. 

I noticed last night they've not replaced the PCV valve, which is probably what popped all the old gaskets.

PCV on order. 

4 hours ago, grogee said:

Don't make the mistake I made on my Espace. I assumed the noisy turbo was the culprit and spent quite a bit of time and money replacing it. Turned out that it was the solenoid valve that directs vacuum to the turbo (VGT?) actuator.

The valve was £30 and ten minutes to fit...

If you like I will see what I can dig out on Ford ETIS for the solenoid, assuming there is one. 

Cheers for the offer, I've just managed to fix it... It ended up being a stuck actuator, took the E Clip of the rod and it all spring back into life again, gave it a squirt of WD40 and it now runs perfect, cleared the codes and there's no lights either so happy days!

25 minutes ago, trigger said:

Cheers for the offer, I've just managed to fix it... It ended up being a stick actuator, took the E Clip of the rod and it all spring back into life again, gave it a squirt of WD40 and it now runs perfect, cleared the codes and there's no lights either so happy days!

Reeeee-sult! Good work. Hope the new screen gets done soon. Happy motoring!

5 hours ago, grogee said:

image.jpeg.1f90b9e73d902a9155055528bbd3d00e.jpeg

If you look closely you’ll see that the caliper is not attached to the hub-carrier / steering knuckle it IS the hub carrier!

One part doing two jobs, in this case helping to keep the unsprung weight down as well as engineering for efficient production.
And yes, CX braking is almost dive-free and it is very powerful