The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Today is an exciting day at Wuvvum Towers.  My friendly local Parcel Force driver has just delivered a nugget of purest rocking horse poo.

20211117_131529.thumb.jpg.818a40cb353695151e1a2ee9f5f79569.jpg

This is what I believe to be the last remaining NOS Innocenti 500 engine mount anywhere in the world.  I actually tried to order two but the only place that listed them in stock reduced my order to one because that's all they had, and the manufacturer no longer lists them.  The car could really do with two replacing but there's only one that's totally fucking fucked mate big time, so this should be a significant improvement once fitted, and given the mileage the car does the others should hold on for a few more years yet.

I'm just massively chuffed to finally have it in my grubby paws - you wouldn't believe the hassle I've had trying to get hold of one.

Just come back from Silverlake Autos just outside of Alton in Hampshire. Got my dad a wing for his Polo and a couple bits for the C2 for £30. It’s one of these Upick places. Most of what they have is 2000-on but there were a couple of 1990s vehicles there for people to take bits from. Recommend the place.

34 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm just massively chuffed to finally have it in my grubby paws - you wouldn't believe the hassle I've had trying to get hold of one.

I've seen bushes made out of PU/Tigerseal/car window glue and the like by filling the gap from stuff in a tube. Maybe worth it on the other when it's totally had it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl2XcCqYVRU

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Just come back from Silverlake Autos just outside of Alton in Hampshire. Got my dad a wing for his Polo and a couple bits for the C2 for £30. It’s one of these Upick places. Most of what they have is 2000-on but there were a couple of 1990s vehicles there for people to take bits from. Recommend the place.

Silverlake have a place between Wickham and Botley, is that the one you mean? If so, it's a fair way from Alton and nearer to Fareham. I didn't think they had more than one place. 

38 minutes ago, mintwth said:

Silverlake have a place between Wickham and Botley, is that the one you mean? If so, it's a fair way from Alton and nearer to Fareham. I didn't think they had more than one place. 

That’s the one. I don’t know the area that well so I followed the A32 to Alton and came off toward Botley!

On 11/15/2021 at 4:01 PM, reb said:

I saw an 850R with something like 150k on it for sale on AutoTrader for £25k, significantly more than any of the lower mileage ones I've seen. I think I'll stick with TDIs if that's alright with everyone!

That's in a main dealer in Bradford. It's well known and it's universally agreed it's priced about twice its real value, if not more.

Put the Audi into a different local garage today with the complete exhaust and fixings and it was done in 2.5 hours. 

I now have the original cat and got the code off it, hopefully it will be worth something although it's not very big.

Collected @Supernaut from the same garage as he is dropping off his 205 there and wanged the Audi up the M9 to his bit and back. It's always had a slight exhaust blow so now that it's properly quiet it's an excellent drive. I'm convinced it feels quicker, could just be because it sounds like a great.

The old downpipe and mid section were nackered, the former was irreparably cracked and the latter was holed at the top where I couldn't get the welder to.

20211117_183416.jpg

5 hours ago, mintwth said:

Annoyingly, it doesn't have any of my current fleet :(

Was hoping it might have some MR2 bits or stuff for the Missus Panda, but other than indicator stalk, nuffink.

I'll keep my eye on the place. Almost drove past it tonight.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Today is an exciting day at Wuvvum Towers.  My friendly local Parcel Force driver has just delivered a nugget of purest rocking horse poo.

This is what I believe to be the last remaining NOS Innocenti 500 engine mount anywhere in the world.  I actually tried to order two but the only place that listed them in stock reduced my order to one because that's all they had, and the manufacturer no longer lists them.  The car could really do with two replacing but there's only one that's totally fucking fucked mate big time, so this should be a significant improvement once fitted, and given the mileage the car does the others should hold on for a few more years yet.

I shall always remember 305 gate after its overflow bottle shat itself; the Innocenti was transport from the station : 

'Dave!' 

'Dave!'

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

'DAAAAAAAAAAVE!!!!!!' 

[Innocenti putters off into the distance}

On 11/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, wuvvum said:

Why not use it as a master to produce some more for yourself?

I've been feeling proper robey the last few days but did managed to make a start cleaning the van. 

IMG_20211117_105547.thumb.jpg.7c6abd1b882ca447221aba179e719d16.jpg

IMG_20211117_105600.thumb.jpg.dc43f892b6ddf132d0214caf4736814f.jpg

A few hours with some G101 and a snow gun got it looking more presentable. 

IMG_20211117_145145.thumb.jpg.e802e2fb64c876ca06c26a819ad9abe2.jpg

IMG_20211117_145155.thumb.jpg.db3618305959d25809031ad1d4d1c48f.jpg

IMG_20211117_145214.thumb.jpg.8496a270e74e341ede99a6c2b1ac6ce1.jpg

IMG_20211117_145203.thumb.jpg.bf1ef6fcb3797408beb4fc45c66bf832.jpg

Much better I'm sure you'll agree, the interior has come up like new too.

IMG_20211117_145126.thumb.jpg.7ea5bd1b9af187566d1546f34bc52846.jpg

IMG_20211117_145233.thumb.jpg.fd52e668f5e4a35293fcfb3d962a32df.jpg

IMG_20211117_145257.thumb.jpg.0c26a0c61df29b3bfcf85c19251e3de1.jpg

It's actually a really tidy little van, it's clearly been well looked after before it was parked up. I've had a quote on a new screen which is £185+vat fitted, had a bit of a mare with the battery box as the bolts that hold the clamp had snapped so ordered a new box of ebay for £14 only to find the Ecu is screwed to it and is a utter sod to get off but that's sorted now and it's now got a running fault that I've found. 

It will only rev too 3800rpm and starts chucking out whitey blue smoke that smells like diesel, not sure what is yet, its only been driven at 5 mph around a field for the last 2 years so hoping its a clogged EGR or DPF filter but I don't know yet. 

On 11/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, Bren said:

The vectra has a couple of broken flaps on the interior vents. I have removed one and stripped it down ( a more detailed explanation in "what have you fixed lately?" thread).

I keep looking at other cars as the vectra is getting a bit old - two injectors need re sealing and it will need a rad before next summer. It has started to clonk from the front - I suspect it needs drop links.

However stuff is so expensive - £3.5 k for an 09 mondeo estate with 120 k to £4750 for a 13 plate passat with 149 k - if you are borrowing money the car will be worn out before it is paid off - I think I will just pick the jobs off one at a time.

I agree.  10 year old cars etc seem very expensive for what they are,

1 hour ago, omegod said:

Vauxhall employed the engine bay design services of Gilette for the Omega, honestly it's my most hated job ever 

I would recommend those cloth gloves impregnated with rubber, but I know from painful experience that they often don't offer the fingertip dexterity needed for some jobs. Probably including this one. 

Personally I rarely use gloves now except for scary grinding and stuff. A bit of barrier cream to start and then let the grime accumulate.