The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I attended the monthly breakfast meet today with @jaypee. Despite the rain it was actually a grand wee morning.

The Cav was clearly bringing down the average value of the cars across the park.

20211031_100020.jpg

20211031_095947.jpg

I meant to message you in case you took the wee man, we are just out of isolation so decided not to bother this month!

Just now, richardmorris said:

Planned to take the 2cv out today, but the rain was horizontal this morning with matching wind, so I’ve not left the house. 

This was the weather forecast for digging my tractor out of a small pile of stone and sitting on it whilst it was pulled home

Screenshot_20211030-205731.thumb.png.fb075ff477cf006135a30a5001ff3eea.png

I was not as well prepared as my able assistant, but I had freed it out by then, and he was sitting in the car for most of it 😂

PXL_20211031_104337121.jpg

11 hours ago, barefoot said:

That reminds me, if anyone ever needs marrying, burying etc. Under the auspices of 'the Church of the barefoot Way', I am legally qualified to do all of that Godlike shit (apart from circumcision), all thanks to a form I completed on the internet way back in the mists of time.

Ok i have to ask, why not circumcision ?

3 hours ago, loserone said:

This was the weather forecast for digging my tractor out of a small pile of stone and sitting on it whilst it was pulled home

Screenshot_20211030-205731.thumb.png.fb075ff477cf006135a30a5001ff3eea.png

I was not as well prepared as my able assistant, but I had freed it out by then, and he was sitting in the car for most of it 😂

PXL_20211031_104337121.jpg

Should there not be a horse involved somewhere in this?

Not got much done this weekend as the weather wasn't conducive to fettling, but I did get the rear ABS sensor replaced on the C4 yesterday.  That was more awkward than I was expecting - the sensor is held in with an Allen bolt but the bolt head was so full of mud and crap that the Allen key wouldn't fit - I had to scrape it out with smaller keys and then tap the correct size key in with a hammer.  Then even with the bolt undone the sensor took a lot of wiggling and levering to get out.  The new one went in easily enough though, and once I cleared the codes the ABS and ESP warning lights went out.  So that's two out of three faults fixed - just the front strut top bearings to do now.

I also had a bit of a play with the Volvo to see whether I could work out what's wrong with the charging system.  Thanks to a couple of suggestions on the Ask a Shiter thread, I'm going to try replacing the voltage regulator with a spare one first and, if that doesn't work, re-flashing the alternator to see if that wakes it up.  Given that the alternator is now the only thing that's stopping the car being drivable, at least for shortish distances (new tyres and brake discs will be required before it goes for any long runs), I'm quite keen to get it  sorted.

It appears that my boss has been reading my posts on here. After a mild fucking reprimand for some of the language I use, it turns out that he thinks naming cars/buses is a great idea. I pointed out that because the fleet are 80% white he couldn't possibly use my system for selecting names. He wasn't bothered in the slightest & has sent out a memo this morning telling folk that instead of referring to them by the last three letters of their number plates, in future we'll be calling them, from left to right; Harmony, Destiny, Symphony, Rhapsody & Melody.

DSCN6452.thumb.JPG.5d610595243d0da498cd1b1557b37a78.JPG

Which could have worked, but co-incidentally that's also the exact same names as my five lovely daughters.

Naming cars remains for utter, fucking twats.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

... instead of referring to them by the last three letters of their number plates, in future we'll be calling them, from left to right; Harmony, Destiny, Symphony, Rhapsody & Melody.

DSCN6452.thumb.JPG.5d610595243d0da498cd1b1557b37a78.JPG

Which could have worked, but co-incidentally that's also the exact same names as my five lovely daughters.

Naming cars remains for utter, fucking twats.

Why, what's wrong with Destiny's original name "Cock"?

Found it...

This rattles and resonates straight through the cab floor anywhere north of about 2000rpm.

Not entirely sure what to do with this information now I have it, but I'll figure out some way to shut it up.

This has been annoying the heck out of me for the last two and a bit years.

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Some rubber petrol hose. Cut along it's length, slide over the cables and tie-wrap into position. It will still rattle, but quietly. 

Actually, with the extra weight it should take significantly more energy to get it to move.

Is the thing set too taut? That's buzzing like a cello string.

There's a lovely 306 cabby in a dealer in Wembley. 
Low miles and fantastic colourway. 
But it has no MOT and the ad doesn't mention one being provided, and it's in the ULEZ (1998 car, charge payable). Ad says they won't negotiate on the phone. 

Obviously I can call them and enquire but it's all a bit difficult. How could I acquire said car?

2 hours ago, PhilA said:

Actually, with the extra weight it should take significantly more energy to get it to move.

Is the thing set too taut? That's buzzing like a cello string.

Bit of explanation needed.

The middle "cable" to frame left is a release spring, so it pulls against the handbrake lever (frame right), so the centre cables will always be taught, even if the actual handbrake cables themselves are totally slack, which they are there.

Figuring a spring to pull it upwards and hold it against the top of the little channel it sits in may be a solution.

Almost wonder if the two empty holes in the yoke may originally have had something on.