The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I reckoned that it would probably be a bit long delivery time. But I saw that there were some in the UK also on ebay but they are new and seem to be made of plastic so am skeptical of the quality and how well they fit but post pictures of one of these below.s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
My local motorfactors stock the later plastic housing for £35 but unfortunately I need the earlier version with integrated egr ports.
I have now redrilled the bad side and will try a Helicoil today (friend is dropping off a kit) in that side as it still has 3 good bolt holes out of four to hold the egr on.
98ce4cfba9c9b6041b56d760ab68ef6c.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, 320touring said:

Hello @Jon

We recently had success after replacing a both rear calipers on the burd's 172 by doing the following (as researched by @jaypee)

Engine off bleed the car in the following order:

Right rear

Left front

Left rear

Right front

This bleeds both the brake circuits independently and should get all the air out.

For each corner, the process was:

Pump pedal a few times

Hold down

Open bleed nipple.

Close bleed nipple.

Repeat as required.

Other potential issue especially if it's a phase 1 square headlight 172 is that the servo may be rotten. If you discover that is the case, let me know and I can likely source one here

Sit rep.

Did a first for me and got the car off all 4 wheels at the same time, in prep for take 2 of the brake bleed saga:

20211027_164726.thumb.jpg.3b2e5fc7ae23435bef865f9220ff8c13.jpg

4 axle stands and two backup trolley jacks did the job of keeping it stable.

Mrs_Jon did the pumping - we opted for 10 whole pumps, release bleed nipple whilst the pedal is held down, then nip back up before releasing. Is this correct @320touring? I also kept the cap off the reservoir but kept topping up the fluid regularly. That said, I can read the maximum level but can't see the minimum, as it's so buried in the engine bay. 

Pedal feel is good - right up until we turned the engine on, when pressure immediately dropped and the pedal went almost to the floor when pressed. There's no signs of leaks, we did each caliper several times, then when it failed, we did all the calipers again. Same results.

We did get a few good air bubbles out at first, so there's a slight chance I'm not good at bleeding Clio brakes but I think there's something else broken.

I've resigned myself that this'll be a garage job to sort but I'll need to work out how to get it there and just hope they don't play parts bingo.

But that said, I'm open to any bright ideas, as so far, I've had better advice on here than from anywhere else!

Is the drop of the pedal fast once you start the engine?

If you do this a few times has the fluid level dropped in the reservoir?

If it hasn't dropped then fluid must be passing a seal in the master cylinder, if it has dropped but there are no external leaks it could be leaking into the servo.

This is all on the assumption that the rest of the system is leak free.

6 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Is the drop of the pedal fast once you start the engine?

If you do this a few times has the fluid level dropped in the reservoir?

If it hasn't dropped then fluid must be passing a seal in the master cylinder, if it has dropped but there are no external leaks it could be leaking into the servo.

This is all on the assumption that the rest of the system is leak free.

The pedal feel is nice and firm before the car is started, then the pedal feel is soft and resistance is lost, at the first press of the pedal once the engine is running. Resistance is still low once switched off, although I've just been out now and given the pedal a few pumps and pressure feels good.

It's currently dark and rainy here, so I'll take a check on fluid levels in the morning. But there's no signs of leaks.

Assuming it's the master cylinder, I'm guessing this'll need some diagnostic attention to purge the ABS? 

Also, thanks so much to all involved for all your help so far. Scrabbling about helplessly yesterday was truly a low ebb in owning an interesting obsolete car in a far away country, I can tell you!

In car news, I bought a W204 estate yesterday. Seems great so far.... A ULEZ refugee no less (although it was in Hemel Hempstead, the owner's family and friends all live in London and he'd already realised that he was going to have to pay £12.50 for the privilege)

The 2zz MR2 mentioned above has its first MOT this afternoon. I'm absolutely shitting it if I'm honest. I really should have had one done within the 3 months warranty period, but it was summer and I was busy and kept putting it off.....

It's always passed in the past with little to no advisories. However, if I have any problems with emissions, this could be a challenge. It's got a bean can for a cat and has been throwing the odd EML for running lean (which I have a potential fix for, but haven't yet implemented). Could be worse I guess. If it was running rich, no way in hell would it pass emissions.

And those of you who know MR2s of all varieties, yes, I tightened the handbrake last night.

33 minutes ago, Jon said:

The pedal feel is nice and firm before the car is started, then the pedal feel is soft and resistance is lost, at the first press of the pedal once the engine is running. Resistance is still low once switched off, although I've just been out now and given the pedal a few pumps and pressure feels good

Can you pump up the brakes with the engine running or just constant sinking?

@Jon good effort - did it the correct way. 

Pity it did not solve it.

Does the car lose fluid if you press the brake when running? It sounds much like @Tickman says - that there is fluid seeping past a seal somewhere. Key suspects would be master cyl or servo.

if you need a hand getting parts let me know.

4 hours ago, louiepj said:

My local motorfactors stock the later plastic housing for £35 but unfortunately I need the earlier version with integrated egr ports.
I have now redrilled the bad side and will try a Helicoil today (friend is dropping off a kit) in that side as it still has 3 good bolt holes out of four to hold the egr on.
98ce4cfba9c9b6041b56d760ab68ef6c.jpg

Depends how borked the threads are but I successfully tapped 2 of the mounts for our Alfa's EGR from the (stripped) M6 to M7. Bit of a weird size but there's not room for M8. Pleasingly the nuts are 11mm head which justifies my owning about 5x 11mm spanners.

Lord above 🙏  

I’ve had my Merc 190 over 4 years and I’ve always been on the lookout for a decent spare tyre.  The current one is 23 years old!  Anyway, I had a new tyre fitted to my trailer this morning and so took the old one to the tip.  

2E3D2A81-6910-4291-BD49-81877E7C60FA.thumb.jpeg.fec27c2b849f5f7e1e23c8242a1aa577.jpegIn the tyre container what did I see?  A brand new and unused Dunlop in the correct size!  I took it back to the garage who happily swapped it for me.  Recycling at its finest ♻️

Very little has happened on the fleet recently - last weekend I spent most of my free time repainting the front door, together with the door frame and step.  I did splash out on two new tailgate struts for the Picasso - I replaced the one which was obviously leaking and the tailgate then sprang happily up when opened so I've not bothered with the other one.  It's made the car more usable - it's surprisingly difficult to load a bicycle into a car whilst balancing a heavy tailgate on your head.  I've also ordered an ABS sensor for it, which hasn't arrived yet but which will hopefully clear up the ABS / ESP / parking brake warnings I've been getting.  Then I'll have to decide whether I can be arsed to attempt the strut tops or not.

The Scénic is going to need to go in for an MOT in the next few weeks.  It's definitely going to need a rear spring, and probably a rear fog light as well.  I'm not going to buy the bits until I've put it through the test though, just in case it fails on something catastrophic (I don't think it will but you never know).  I had been puzzling how to work the sat nav - turns out that you need a remote control to programme it, which has gone AWOL.  Secondhand replacements are surprisingly expensive on eBay.  If the car ends up staying longer term I might splash out on a replacement remote, as well as attempt to fix the driver's door speaker which isn't working.

I had a go at machine polishing the bonnet on the Volvo.  It actually looks like it would come up pretty well, but it made such a fucking mess of both me and the front wall of the house that I'm not going to do any more on it for the time being.  I have discovered that Rock Auto will sell me a shiny new alternator for £80 including VAT and delivery, so I'm probably going to splash out, given that realistically it'd cost me that much to get the existing one rebuilt.

I need to sort out storage for the winter for the Renault 6 and the boat.  I'm somewhat regretting my haste in selling the Ducato van, or at least selling it so cheaply - I could have fitted the Innocenti in the back of that, possibly with the boat on a roof rack, and that would have left the garage free for the Renault, pushbikes and mopeds.  I have yet to find a running van of similar size at anything close to what I sold the Ducato for.  I might have to see if I can find a second garage to rent, which is an expense I could do without.

'Susie' had new wishbones for 'her' MOT & although OK for pottering, when negotiating tight bends with a modicum of enthusiasm, it feels like the car is lifting an inside wheel. It's fucking horrible, but 'shes' booked in to be tracked up in the morning. I hope to pull some serious G's on the return home.

Naming cars is for twats.

57 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Very little has happened on the fleet recently - last weekend I spent most of my free time repainting the front door, together with the door frame and step.  I did splash out on two new tailgate struts for the Picasso - I replaced the one which was obviously leaking and the tailgate then sprang happily up when opened so I've not bothered with the other one.  It's made the car more usable - it's surprisingly difficult to load a bicycle into a car whilst balancing a heavy tailgate on your head.  I've also ordered an ABS sensor for it, which hasn't arrived yet but which will hopefully clear up the ABS / ESP / parking brake warnings I've been getting.  Then I'll have to decide whether I can be arsed to attempt the strut tops or not.

The Scénic is going to need to go in for an MOT in the next few weeks.  It's definitely going to need a rear spring, and probably a rear fog light as well.  I'm not going to buy the bits until I've put it through the test though, just in case it fails on something catastrophic (I don't think it will but you never know).  I had been puzzling how to work the sat nav - turns out that you need a remote control to programme it, which has gone AWOL.  Secondhand replacements are surprisingly expensive on eBay.  If the car ends up staying longer term I might splash out on a replacement remote, as well as attempt to fix the driver's door speaker which isn't working.

I had a go at machine polishing the bonnet on the Volvo.  It actually looks like it would come up pretty well, but it made such a fucking mess of both me and the front wall of the house that I'm not going to do any more on it for the time being.  I have discovered that Rock Auto will sell me a shiny new alternator for £80 including VAT and delivery, so I'm probably going to splash out, given that realistically it'd cost me that much to get the existing one rebuilt.

I need to sort out storage for the winter for the Renault 6 and the boat.  I'm somewhat regretting my haste in selling the Ducato van, or at least selling it so cheaply - I could have fitted the Innocenti in the back of that, possibly with the boat on a roof rack, and that would have left the garage free for the Renault, pushbikes and mopeds.  I have yet to find a running van of similar size at anything close to what I sold the Ducato for.  I might have to see if I can find a second garage to rent, which is an expense I could do without.

Machine polishing is soooo messy. Then when you've finished your car is really dirty. It all feels like too much effort sometimes. I did my Celica in the summer - wash, polish, wash, wax, windows inside and out - and that was far too much effort. There are those that say I should have done a clay bar in there somewhere too - fuck that.

30 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Missus followed me from Sundays meal on a249 diner and said ur bumpers flappy... some new holes and good too go

il_570xN.1175849663_pljz.jpg

20211027_150227.jpg

20211027_150233.jpg

You have fixed that and no mistake. I was once told by a rally licker that they always cable tie their bumpers on just because it's easier to repair when they inevitably ram it into a hay bale.

If it's good enough for motorsport, it's good enough for AS.

Missus away at her friend's after I finished work...so tackled few jobs on the mondeo, another go at exhaust blow, the rear bumper in previous Post earlier,  another idea that some try is taking the header bottle and washer bottle cover from an st220 v6 mondeo and fit onto ST tdci and earlier v6 like mine, not direct fit, but disc cutter, snips, a file and some wire sheafing I manged to get it to go on... and no cable ties or hammer was required...lol 

images (2).jpeg

20211026_142659.jpg

20211027_163315.jpg

20211027_173012.jpg

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

Thanks to the Tivoli chucking its toys out the pram and throwing an abs fault, we've taken the MG6 over to see my parents in Lincolnshire.

138 miles from Oldham to Skegness, surprisingly not only did it behave, but managed 41mpg combined on E10 too! Not too shabby really. 

MG6 = Future secret shite for sure. There's one near me that needs a clutch and something else but it's still too much money and I don't need any more projects. I bet they're actually alright. 

1 minute ago, goosey said:

My sons 2001 Lupo Gti doesn’t get charged to use the Birmingham clean air zone but my daughters 1999 1.0 Seat Arosa has to pay the daily charge 🤔

so how do you square that circle? 

2001 is when they started basing VED on CO2 emissions - anything prior to that won't have the emissions recorded so will automatically be charged.

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

You spend all year waiting for a classic Apple Mac and then…

9C2EC93F-56E7-49D5-9068-6D83E635EA4F.jpeg

524C61E8-10E3-49D8-A081-DF6792E2D154.jpeg

Do you know where it's possible to get system floppies for early Macs? I've a 128K M0001 sitting up in my loft, previously working, but last time I tried using it the floppy disks I had appeared to be unreadable and I got the 'sad Mac' icon. 

Oh yes, the first generation Mac portables were truly abysmal - they were huge, weighed a ton and had a very short battery life...

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

You spend all year waiting for a classic Apple Mac and then…

9C2EC93F-56E7-49D5-9068-6D83E635EA4F.jpeg

524C61E8-10E3-49D8-A081-DF6792E2D154.jpeg

4105753C-DCF0-4DD5-A265-095A47C4673C.jpeg

8EC86B17-24A3-4984-867C-0B6AE83E0E0D.jpeg

6C10DD46-6B9C-414C-831A-1329445EAE70.jpeg

Fucking hell! thats quite the haul, Macintosh (original 128K even maybe going by the lack of branding on the front) a Macintosh II, an SE/30 and then a Bloody Macintosh Portable just to the top it all off

not Jealous at all no... :) 

I hope your planning on posting more about them (either here or in the computershite thread) :) 

you must get at least the Macintosh II or the SE/30 running AU/X :) 

(and for the love of all that is shite REMOVE THE PRAM BATTERIES before they blow their load all over the logic board and really ruin your day)