The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, greengartside said:

Cheers Wuv, yeah I’m sure they were replaced for a reason. I don’t think dad’s too fussed either - I’ve done the hard bit of putting the adjuster in so at least it’s MOT-acceptable.

Although, as I found with the Škoda, if there is no headlight adjustment system fitted it's not a fail - it's only a fail if it's fitted and doesn't work.

@greengartside love the modus. Really nice spec those initiales. 

The Morris minor has run out of electricity

ACD4B936-964A-4B7C-AA5F-1701AB4F9BB4.thumb.jpeg.c6601904626048b3d591012aa7b9c12d.jpeg

Handily it’s not game over; I dug out the starting handle which caused double takes from passers by. 

I’m pretty useless at electrics but I did a test with my multimeter which suggests the dynamo is not working. A second hand an apparently  tested and working unit was cheap and is on its way.

4A91D731-94D0-44C7-B58C-E23ACAE23955.thumb.jpeg.65389022a4c62de13e9f8a4134ac63bd.jpeg

Meanwhile being a glass half full person a mystery water leak into the boot serves as a mobile vase  whilst some flowers are in transit….

810D2A31-E722-47D3-8047-A3183ACC06C9.thumb.jpeg.9d11b2bb588e1b7ed89fcf7204b1842a.jpeg

After 8 weeks with the welder we finally got the 2CV back today! 
FB82A5FF-E14B-4936-81EE-4DA2CB5FD5A8.jpeg

It did look like it was becoming subsumed into his collection when I arrived.

0F5D1CA3-329D-4DCF-8A06-25F47C3AD22B.jpeg

8 weeks was a bit waiting for parts and a bit me not having been able to collect for a bit. But it’s nice that you can no longer see the floor through the inner wings. 
345723AF-1E2F-4524-8A45-1272ED8D2D29.jpeg

He left me some of the metal… 

70528C53-BD41-433B-82E5-AAB3FAF7243D.jpeg

A good job appears to have been done. Can make a proper start on it’s cosmetics now. 

3 minutes ago, brownnova said:

After 8 weeks with the welder we finally got the 2CV back today! 
FB82A5FF-E14B-4936-81EE-4DA2CB5FD5A8.jpeg

It did look like it was becoming subsumed into his collection when I arrived.

0F5D1CA3-329D-4DCF-8A06-25F47C3AD22B.jpeg

8 weeks was a bit waiting for parts and a bit me not having been able to collect for a bit. But it’s nice that you can no longer see the floor through the inner wings. 
345723AF-1E2F-4524-8A45-1272ED8D2D29.jpeg

He left me some of the metal… 

70528C53-BD41-433B-82E5-AAB3FAF7243D.jpeg

A good job appears to have been done. Can make a proper start on it’s cosmetics now. 

Did he leave the rear seat clamps?

RichardK - those new Ford Pumas are utterly, utterly gopping. All modern cars are ugly but that’s one of the worst ones I’ve seen for a while.

Some muppet around here has a bright, Kermit green ‘ST’ version. They drive it very badly and far too close, trying to bully peasants in 24 year old Rovers (like me). You can imagine what I thought, the first time I saw that awful, green frogface filling my rear view mirror. I had no idea what it was and had to read the badge to find out, when they finally overtook me.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, RayMK said:

For the last 3 months my Reliant Regal MKVI has been stuffed further in to my garage to make room for my son's motorcycle. Access to the Reliant is thus limited even more than previously to someone with my athletic* abilities. I last ran the engine and moved the car on 14th October 2020. Apart from an occasional mop around to evict spiders, I've not touched it since.  Today, still with very little enthusiasm to start it because of the difficulty of actually getting in to it, I strained every joint and have probably bruised my shins as well but managed to get in. I had prepared by charging the battery yesterday. Turning the ignition key gave a normal response on the dashboard i.e. oil and charge light came on, so I turned the key further to engage the starter.  All sounded normal but it did not fire on the first three 20 second attempts - it always takes a while for the fuel system to prime. On the fourth attempt it fired and idled smoothly on choke for about a minute, then died. I checked for fuel flow: Zero.  Could be that the tank is empty or, more likely, bunged up because of the long period of inactivity. I'll have to syphon mucky fuel out of the tank next time and put some fresh stuff in, though now is not the time to visit a petrol station with a jerry can.  Anyway, the engine sounded fine and with a bit of effort with the car out of the garage it should run ok.  Waiting for next time could take  quite a while.  These days, mojo for doing anything to cars except getting in and driving is lacking. Fortunately, my '94 Tipo and modern Mirage at least allow me to do that.  

If you're not planning to put the tripod on the road draining off the stale stuff and replacing it with Aspen alkylate fuel would help; it stays fresh far longer than pump fuel.

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

RichardK - those new Ford Pumas are utterly, utterly gopping.

I quite like them out of all the modern things - but it’s a “top half only” deal, like, remove the inner ring of the arch, the lower airdam, lower the lot and retain the lights, arch curve, grille, make it 3 doors, I’d like the result. Plan to photoshop it.

But all cars like this make me wish we had something else to review, that the whole industry hadn’t chased this market.

This is an ST. It’s quick, uncouth, rather fun from the driver’s seat but it’s the same price (give or take a couple of grand) as a GR Yaris which is better looking as a sporty car, four-wheel drive and very, very capable.

15 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

If you're not planning to put the tripod on the road draining off the stale stuff and replacing it with Aspen alkylate fuel would help; it stays fresh far longer than pump fuel.

Thanks. That is not one I'd heard of.  I'm still undecided as to the car's future with me. Selling it next year is very likely.  Prior to that, I would want to get the car running again from a cleaned fuel system for a last drive in my ownership.  The last time I recommissioned the car ready to sell, I enjoyed it so much that plans to sell went out of the window.  We will have to see what happens next time 🤔.

13 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Thanks. That is not one I'd heard of.  I'm still undecided as to the car's future with me. Selling it next year is very likely.  Prior to that, I would want to get the car running again from a cleaned fuel system for a last drive in my ownership.  The last time I recommissioned the car ready to sell, I enjoyed it so much that plans to sell went out of the window.  We will have to see what happens next time 🤔.

If you need a hand with anything do feel free to drop me a line.  Always happy to help folks on here out if I can.

36 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Everyone else seems to be building SUVs?

Which is totally fair. But Ford shouldn't call it a Puma.

Always annoys me when manufacturers try to use another models name to cash in on something that really has nothing whatsoever to do with the model they name it after. It just pisses over their own heritage.

I've never forgiven Fiat for the way they milked the 500 name trying to make a range of them.

The worst of the lot was the 500L. That thing should 100% have been badged the 600 Multipla if they were that concerned with the retro route.  But the popularity of the 500 at the time (and no doubt the fact people now associate the Multipla bit with the 3 seat uglybug) meant they decided to name a massive, tall, 5 door mini MPV the same as a 2 door rear engined tiny city car to cash in on the trend.

I don’t think Ford attribute much heritage to the Puma - a short-lived FWD blobby 3 door that many people derided for not being the Capri revival everyone wanted…

There are some nice details in the modern Puma - in non-ST form I think it’s nicer than the VAG/Stellantis/Korean alternatives. And it drives well, is well equipped and ergonomically sound in the way Fords nearly always are.

The ST is “a bit much”, too many tickboxes. It’s hot-hatch sharp to the point of twitchy, this has the mechanical LSD as well.

It may turn out to be quite easy to like but I do wish they’d made a proper, small, coupe Puma

7 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Which is totally fair. But Ford shouldn't call it a Puma.

Always annoys me when manufacturers try to use another models name to cash in on something that really has nothing whatsoever to do with the model they name it after. It just pisses over their own heritage.

I've never forgiven Fiat for the way they milked the 500 name trying to make a range of them.

The worst of the lot was the 500L. That thing should 100% have been badged the 600 Multipla if they were that concerned with the retro route.  But the popularity of the 500 at the time (and no doubt the fact people now associate the Multipla bit with the 3 seat uglybug) meant they decided to name a massive, tall, 5 door mini MPV the same as a 2 door rear engined tiny city car to cash in on the trend.

Have you seen the new Mustang ?😵😫

I have never been a big fan of the Mustang but they are a great car with a big following. The new monstrosity is blatantly cashing in on the name.

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

How did the Puma evolve from a 2 door sports to this....lump?

Literally no evolution in any direct sense other than Ford as a whole own the Puma name in this car-naming context and decided to apply this already used name to a clean sheet design.

Ironically, though the Puma wasn't the new Capri, the actual new platform that most resembles the Capri is the car the Capri was meant to resemble in the first place, the Mustang. And the irony for me is this; even though the Mustang is still on sale Ford have taken its name and badge and applied it to an SUV.

50 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

That, and latterly the Cougar which was based on mk2 mondeo mechanicals. 

I think it failed because of the name. And only because of the name. They could have called it MILF and had the same response.

Similar the probe/penis