The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 months MOT on the Civic now , woot.

It still knocks somewhat over bumps under 30mph but turning the radio up helps.

Also, there's now an annoying squeak from the front bumper. The strut top is buried under the windscreen and I'm not exactly sure what has had to come off to get to it but the squeak wasn't there before. Pressing the bumper or light stops it so I'll wedge some rubber in there to shut it up. A fiddly job no doubt but the car was in and out in a day, unlike the garage that still has the Audi.

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Become a bit addicted to tattoos in the last couple of years. My favourite tattooist had a spare hour today so managed to ruin some more skin.

3CECB57F-7F05-423B-B770-52CCE642D6F0.jpeg

I have a few, including a couple of (terrible) DIY ones, I've avoided hands so far because I'm not sure we're at a point in society yet where they're generally acceptable in professional jobs. I want to get more but have been skint for a while. The last one I got was a Halloween special, picked the design off the wall about 15 seconds before booking it for later in the day, still think it's quite cool. It's a Lego skeleton. First was a line art bike in Copenhagen, which remains the most expensive one because I went to quite a high end place at the insistence of my girlfriend at the time, artist was great and I've genuinely considered visiting again just to get another from him. Plan is to continue gradually filling up my right arm until I run out of space.

10 minutes ago, reb said:

I have a few, including a couple of (terrible) DIY ones, I've avoided hands so far because I'm not sure we're at a point in society yet where they're generally acceptable in professional jobs. I want to get more but have been skint for a while. The last one I got was a Halloween special, picked the design off the wall about 15 seconds before booking it for later in the day, still think it's quite cool. It's a Lego skeleton. First was a line art bike in Copenhagen, which remains the most expensive one because I went to quite a high end place at the insistence of my girlfriend at the time, artist was great and I've genuinely considered visiting again just to get another from him. Plan is to continue gradually filling up my right arm until I run out of space.

I’m a big fan, I’ve found a Lithuanian chap who is brilliant but barely speaks English so it’s a bit boring sat there!

I don’t plan on working in a professional role so my other hand is covered too… 

EFC90F7F-8376-484B-BA25-D9781B65B46F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m a big fan, I’ve found a Lithuanian chap who is brilliant but barely speaks English so it’s a bit boring sat there!

That's really smart, I like that 👌

Anywhere I can't cover up is a no go for me due to my job annoyingly, I've fancied one on my hand for a while. Running out of arm space !

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This is my most recent one: (shit photo because it's the inside of my upper arm)

20211021_181838.thumb.jpg.e186ac6c1b7b875385a197ff3b3a0ec8.jpg

It's not all that recent now though, I'd planned for one last year (a turbo, an actual turbo rather than an alternator lol) but then covid happened. Probably for the best actually because I think I might have regretted that one. Next one will probably be a dagger/knife running between the two on my arm already. I lack the patience and funds for bigger pieces, and actually prefer to have a collection of smaller ones. I have a voucher for a palm sized piece from a local-ish place, it doesn't have an expiry date on it but it's a few years old now so I'll have to get in touch and see if they'll still honour it. If they will I might get something somewhere other than my arm, as I have lanky arms and something palm sized probably wouldn't fit.

As for talking while it's being done, the only thing I talked to the guy that did the Lego skeleton about was the DIY tattoos. I showed him them and he just said they could be worse! I'm quite tempted to break out the machine and fix the dodgy lines on them, though I'll have to do a bit of practice on fake skin first because it's been years since I used a tattoo machine.

50 minutes ago, reb said:

This is my most recent one: (shit photo because it's the inside of my upper arm)

20211021_181838.thumb.jpg.e186ac6c1b7b875385a197ff3b3a0ec8.jpg

It's not all that recent now though, I'd planned for one last year (a turbo, an actual turbo rather than an alternator lol) but then covid happened. Probably for the best actually because I think I might have regretted that one. Next one will probably be a dagger/knife running between the two on my arm already. I lack the patience and funds for bigger pieces, and actually prefer to have a collection of smaller ones. I have a voucher for a palm sized piece from a local-ish place, it doesn't have an expiry date on it but it's a few years old now so I'll have to get in touch and see if they'll still honour it. If they will I might get something somewhere other than my arm, as I have lanky arms and something palm sized probably wouldn't fit.

As for talking while it's being done, the only thing I talked to the guy that did the Lego skeleton about was the DIY tattoos. I showed him them and he just said they could be worse! I'm quite tempted to break out the machine and fix the dodgy lines on them, though I'll have to do a bit of practice on fake skin first because it's been years since I used a tattoo machine.

Sorry, it reminded me more of metal mickey.

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have just been on a zoom call with a friend who has been on holiday to Russia because that is where his wife comes from. The hire car was a Lada Largus.  

Lada Largus.jpg

A lada largass probably goes with the Vauxhall grandad I’m sure I saw named in the back of something today.

Interesting- I thought any bulb gone was a fail ( even the numberplate ones).  2000 miles a year, so I suppose it depends on how bad the tyres are before you need to change them.  Watching hubnut just now - you seem to be getting off lightly compared to the purple people eater.

Why the hell is every fuckwit and his missus driving around with their OMGsupahnightbreakerLEDHID headlights on high bloody beam?!?

I know the shock of seeing an MG6 on the wild, let alone actually moving under its own steam is a big thing, but you don't need to blast me off the bastard road with your lights  just to check it's not a fever dream. I've even pulled over this morning to check that there's nothing wrong with the bloody thing and people are trying to warn me... 

Seriously, Its either a new trend that needs to stop. Or everyone around here is a selfish, mouth breathing bellend, out only for themselves... (Or maybe the guide dog is driving?)

And breathe. 

Hangover purchase Megane update:

It had a slow puncture on the front-when I went to inflate it I discovered I could pull the centre portion of the tire valve right out! I should've video'd that, it was quite impressive! I went to my local National Tires and they put a valve in it and didn't charge me, thanks to Dunfermline National Tires!

There was nothing else do do but to test drive it-I took it to work yesterday-M90/M8 during rush hour for MAXIMUM DANGER.

The clutch is fine, the rear brakes however are proper fucked. There's some random wind noise from the rear at motorway speeds and I suspect something needs replaced on the front left-I can here/feel a random clunk at low speeds. Other than that it's fine and showed an indicated 57 MPG on the commute. 

The built in Carminat satnav is humped-it stays on the insert card screen which would be fine but it means I can't access the radio display so I had to fumble my around to find something worth listening to. Which I failed at, more due to the shite FM stations around here. 

I picked up some new discs from Euro on my way home. There was a set of pads in the car, although I'm not convinced they are the right ones so I'll get some of them too to be on the safe side.

I've roped in @Fraz to help me do discs and pads on the back tonight, he has a scanner that will let me retract the pistons on the electronic handbrake.

Pretty sure he's only coming over because he wants to buy it...

29 minutes ago, dome said:

Hangover purchase Megane update:

It had a slow puncture on the front-when I went to inflate it I discovered I could pull the centre portion of the tire valve right out! I should've video'd that, it was quite impressive! I went to my local National Tires and they put a valve in it and didn't charge me, thanks to Dunfermline National Tires!

There was nothing else do do but to test drive it-I took it to work yesterday-M90/M8 during rush hour for MAXIMUM DANGER.

The clutch is fine, the rear brakes however are proper fucked. There's some random wind noise from the rear at motorway speeds and I suspect something needs replaced on the front left-I can here/feel a random clunk at low speeds. Other than that it's fine and showed an indicated 57 MPG on the commute. 

The built in Carminat satnav is humped-it stays on the insert card screen which would be fine but it means I can't access the radio display so I had to fumble my around to find something worth listening to. Which I failed at, more due to the shite FM stations around here. 

I picked up some new discs from Euro on my way home. There was a set of pads in the car, although I'm not convinced they are the right ones so I'll get some of them too to be on the safe side.

I've roped in @Fraz to help me do discs and pads on the back tonight, he has a scanner that will let me retract the pistons on the electronic handbrake.

Pretty sure he's only coming over because he wants to buy it...

Did you get the discs with the wheel bearings already pressed in?

46 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Did you get the discs with the wheel bearings already pressed in?

Just checked, yes they do although they need the ABS rings swapping over. I'm sure that'll be fun.

Also checked the pads in the car and they are are wrong so back to Euro for some correct* ones

It's got a built in Tomtom but I can't get it to work, nor can I get the display to show anyhting other than the Tomtom insert card screen-I'll stick something in Ask a Shiter to see if I can get any wisdom imparted. 

5 minutes ago, dome said:

Just checked, yes they do although they need the ABS rings swapping over. I'm sure that'll be fun.

Do they have the ABS rings built into the bearings? It was a popular thing to do on French cars for a while. 

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Do they have the ABS rings built into the bearings? It was a popular thing to do on French cars for a while. 

According to this I'll need to swap them over. God knows what state they're in, the discs are beyond pumped. Will price up replacements

IMG_20211022_103347.jpg

Had a Volvo V70 scrapped via “Car take back” today, I’d taken a few parts as spares  beforehand, apparently if the car has all its major mechanical components they don’t mind. The scrapyard don’t sell general spares but remove the engines and boxes for export and simply crush the rest. On the back of the guys truck I spotted a 62 Reg Insignia that had died due to rust and a 3 litre V6 Laguna! I did feel sorry for the old French barge but felt a bit better once I saw the MOT history! It sounded like the previous owner had a real struggle keeping it on the road over the years and the old tub had finally done the decent thing and failed in spectacular fashion. 

31FD7B45-78BF-458A-BFDC-F4134AEEEAB6.jpeg

9696BE12-EA71-420B-A036-F7166C2E4D7C.jpeg

FFE1357C-23DD-426E-8AD8-B02E525F9F50.jpeg

0CE5A1B8-FA51-4986-90E8-DBC11FC4B3EF.jpeg

6610CDA6-366A-4F24-8B3E-7A1582EDF273.jpeg

7B6D4D89-C91D-4F3F-B31B-CF7779625985.png

47B718B4-850C-4CAC-BFA2-EB6BE80263D0.png

08961FED-E72E-4697-998C-A2EC29E76BA7.png

B6314A00-75BA-40FA-BB6A-921119FEA432.png

FC0AB1A7-907E-4A5C-935A-60DAA0959021.png

B103A6AD-6592-4C55-9DBE-12E0D10C126A.png