The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

This should probably be in the grin thread... 

I decided to have a look at the hungover purchase Megane tonight. As bought the clutch was on the floor. I decided to check the pipework to see if there was anything obvious.

Battery off and, with a not insignificant amount of fucking about including removing the ECU and airbox, the battery tray was removed revealing the gearbox.

IMG_20211019_191924.thumb.jpg.3ee51b51170cab99fe7e1b474730fd83.jpg

IMG_20211019_191749.thumb.jpg.fec4ea25be3f00642d6bd16c4efdcb7c.jpg

This uses plastic pipework to the slave cylinder inside the box. There should be 3 R clips holding the little plastic bleed nipple holder thingy which is located at the gearbox end-1 on the gearbox end and 2 at the other end. The idea is you pull up the inner one of the 2 R clips and pull the pipe out. It gets stopped by the other R clip and opens up the bleed port. 

Except, I was missing the R clip from the gearbox end which had allowed all the fluid to piss out. 

I ended up using one of my 2 R clips on the gearbox end and the other initially on the outer slot so I could bleed it. This didn't take too long and bugger me if I didn't have a working clutch pedal now!

I then pushed the pipe back in and moved the R clip to the inside slot, sealing off the bleed nipple.

Here it is ready to go 

IMG_20211019_191807__01.thumb.jpg.7b6452a6b92c290740edd1cf605834cb.jpg

I reassembled the battery tray/ECU/airbox I'd removed and stuck the battery back on it.

Here goes...

Shite video buy yes, we have a working clutch now. A quick test drive ensued and all gears engaged fine👍

I think I'll put the lottery on this week...

4 hours ago, NigeT said:

Old man's heap of a Rover now had ABS light on permanently. Primitive diagnostics (bridge terminal near passenger footwell with paperclip and count flashes on dash) flagged pressure in ABS unit which I'm sure has had it. New Honda unit seems to be nearly £2k. Car's worth £400 at most. Given the heap's doing almost no miles & won't end up anywhere other than the scrappie or here with all faults disclosed, it was dash cluster out time and you can guess the rest. Whilst I was at it I got the handbrake working for first time in ages - springs removed from the self adjusting mechanisms, followed by most of a can of WD-40 and vigorous freeing up with a 17mm spanner. Brakes got a mini-bleed as well and a job well done to compensate for the necessary bodgery to keep Rover on the roads.   

2021-10-13 12.33.39.jpg

2021-10-13 12.33.42.jpg

2021-10-13 12.33.51.jpg

2021-10-13 12.48.31.jpg

2021-10-13 12.48.35.jpg

Any pictures of the Rover? It looks like a 600 and I like these.

7 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Any pictures of the Rover? It looks like a 600 and I like these.

FYI old thread and pics. Is looking quite a bit rougher now though amazingly I didn't need to do much more than fit a pair of drop links for last MOT. Even more amazingly there's still no structural rot to be seen anywhere underneath. I reckon these cars had better rustproofing than anything else from their era. Will soon be breaking all cambelt roulette records too! 

3 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Nice. Love the prefacelift beige interior with the nicer early wood too. I remember reading the thread now you mention it, although I thought it was long gone. Great to see your dad is still getting use out of it :)

Cheers. Most of the wood veneer is now peeling but the fabric's just about intact albeit rankstained. He's nudging 82 and after such a long (largely neglectful) relationship & being a creature of habit I can't see him getting involved with anything else. Ergo my keeping it on the road for him for the occasional local excursion. Engine still without a hint of misfire despite ancient plugs.   

38 minutes ago, dome said:

This should probably be in the grin thread... 

I decided to have a look at the hungover purchase Megane tonight. As bought the clutch was in the floor. I decided to check the pipework to see if there was anything obvious.

Battery off and, with a not insignificant amount of fucking about including removing the ECU and airbox, the battery tray was removed revealing the gearbox.

IMG_20211019_191924.thumb.jpg.3ee51b51170cab99fe7e1b474730fd83.jpg

IMG_20211019_191749.thumb.jpg.fec4ea25be3f00642d6bd16c4efdcb7c.jpg

This uses plastic pipework to the slave cylinder inside the box. There should be 3 R clips holding the little plastic bleed nipple holder thingy which is located at the gearbox end-1 on the gearbox end and 2 at the other end. The idea is you pull up the inner one of the 2 R clips and pull the pipe out. It gets stopped by the other R clip and opens up the bleed port. 

Except, I was missing the R clip from the gearbox end which had allowed all the fluid to piss out. 

I ended up using one of my 2 R clips on the gearbox end and the other initially on the outer slot so I could bleed it. This didn't take too long and bugger me if I didn't have a working clutch pedal now!

I then pushed the pipe back in and moved the R clip to the inside slot, sealing off the bleed nipple.

Here it is ready to go 

IMG_20211019_191807__01.thumb.jpg.7b6452a6b92c290740edd1cf605834cb.jpg

I reassembled the battery tray/ECU/airbox I'd removed and stuck the battery back on it.

Here goes...

Shite video buy yes, we have a working clutch now. A quick test drive ensued and all gears engaged fine👍

I think I'll put the lottery on this week...

They do seem to have very durable clutches. I'm fairly sure mine is on its original clutch/DMF at 170k miles 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, loserone said:

All the codes were cleared here too, I can't recall any of them reoccurring either (maybe the usual HDI pre-post heater one).  Is the manual switch still on the fuel filler cap for dosing Eloys? That's a proper Burgess Microswitch one made in the factory on the team valley where my dad worked, if you ever remove it let me know and I'll pay the postage :D

It is a great car with a fantastic interior, but I must admit I'm pleased to not have that engine in the fleet anymore.  A 2.0 HDI one would be a great asset, I feel unfinished business with them as Mrs L1 declared it uncomfortable (whilst 6 months pregnant) and I think I actually prefer them to the 405 as a daily.  Only getting 31MPG to the south of france and back was a bit pants though.

If you're confident with the engine and the turbo, is a remap on the cards?

regen still occurs so I guess it is.. tbh it really does not need any more power, it will sit at 80 on cruise up our local steep hill with my tools in the boot and 200kg of glue on the back seat and pulls really well almost regardless of the conditions. 

Did you actually check the petrol/ mileage or go by the in car mpg as it actually under reads by around 7mpg...it will show 33mpg but is actually doing 40. I am guessing because of the fault with the tank sender... 

one of the advantages of a 70 litre tank and 40mpg is not needing to fill up for almost 3 weeks therefore completely avoiding the fuel 'crisis'.. 

7 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:

The steed in daylight;

IMG20211018160608.thumb.jpg.7a99dd4fa8a18021adceef8f38df8bd2.jpg

It got home no problem. It even had just under 3/4 of a tank in it when collected and made it home absolutely no bother despite having A/C running whole time. Cruising between 62 and 70 variously. Seems to be very decent on fuel.

It's a comfy car, the two armrests are well positioned and the driving position pretty conventional. Not a great deal of room for clutch foot resting and no cruise being the only drawbacks. Far more refined than I'd thought. 

Some all important interior money shots;

IMG20211018230912.thumb.jpg.b20e7b11a3be1da7cb40abc8dbfbe0fc.jpg

IMG20211018230933.thumb.jpg.3682a6aadd978aeab0ec0a944a5a318d.jpg

IMG20211018230950.thumb.jpg.b15b93f213491b20fd1a60b92ac1258a.jpg

IMG20211018231041.thumb.jpg.568e76b9cdeb4ec747227268561346aa.jpg

IMG20211018231717.thumb.jpg.b7f1cab05a30adb420b1df24f49bdf62.jpg

I am impressed. It looks pretty blooming clean. I had it pictured in my head it was going to be minging 😂. Those seats look a very inviting place to sit ones bahookie.  Top adventuring! 

Further to the Megane Clutch situation , i found this in the car last night.

kwik.thumb.JPG.3fd000c6a7ed20d339024b323964427b.JPG

Seems it had clutch trouble in 2018. I suspect whoever changed that may not have refitted the R clip properly which put up a valiant effort until recently when it fucked off to pastures new rendering the car fucked. 

2 hours ago, dome said:

Further to the Megane Clutch situation , i found this in the car last night.

kwik.thumb.JPG.3fd000c6a7ed20d339024b323964427b.JPG

Seems it had clutch trouble in 2018. I suspect whoever changed that may not have refitted the R clip properly which put up a valiant effort until recently when it fucked off to pastures new rendering the car fucked. 

Clearly the lesson here is to only buy cars when you're drunk, especially if they are having clutch issues. 

MOT day on the Civic today. Despite the non opening boot it's actually turned out to be quite a decent car. Compared to the Bini, it's reliable and doesn't feel flaky.

There's a knocking from the front suspension somewhere so that will need fixed. I've told them about it so if they start anything about having to book it back in to fix it I will go ape shit. I do not want to be down to one working working car from 4.

Advisories from the last MOT have been addressed, namely tyres and brakes so hopefully its just a drop link or something.

No news from the other garage about the Audi. I would play a game of how long can they stand it being in their way but the place is littered with other cars that have been there for years so one more won't matter to them. I think it's going to be there for a good while. My plan is to replace it while it's away and when I get it back I'll decide what's happening then.

I definitely won't be using that garage again that's for certain.

Screenshot_20211021-102329_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4d7b0f0ea8f07bbff458270f7e3dd994.jpg

Fails were 100% expected although I didn't know which bush it was which was worn. So 2 drop links are the least worst of them all. Damper I saw when I was doing the pads.

The rest they weren't concerned about. I'll do the rear pads as long as the calipers aren't those daft ones that need wound out.

£245 all in, I'm not complaining at that at all.

JDM STANCE YO?

219006343_IMG_20211021_0947062.thumb.jpg.85fe9a42740bf0398d670da91df1e9c8.jpg

JDM STANCE NO...

354939078_IMG_20211021_0942192.thumb.jpg.7c1cbc37be20fa9fdd33891960304e8b.jpg

So, turns out the Forester's offside control arm was literally hanging by a thread. I'm guessing the multiple speed bumps to get into the garage complex finished it off... and it CALAPST while one of the mechanics was manoeuvring it to get it up on the post lift.

Fucksticks.

Currently awaiting the arrival of some lads with a forklift, as it's blocking the garage entrance and they can't get it moved on a dolly cos it's parked on gravel.

Generally, I've found that if forklifts loom large in your car's future, then it's not terribly likely to have a happy ending.

Still, small mercies: at least it didn't let go coming off the Sainsburys' roundabout a few minutes earlier. That would have been a right old pisser - immobile and straddling two lanes during the morning rush...