The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:

The steed in daylight;

IMG20211018160608.thumb.jpg.7a99dd4fa8a18021adceef8f38df8bd2.jpg

It got home no problem. It even had just under 3/4 of a tank in it when collected and made it home absolutely no bother despite having A/C running whole time. Cruising between 62 and 70 variously. Seems to be very decent on fuel.

It's a comfy car, the two armrests are well positioned and the driving position pretty conventional. Not a great deal of room for clutch foot resting and no cruise being the only drawbacks. Far more refined than I'd thought. 

Some all important interior money shots;

IMG20211018230912.thumb.jpg.b20e7b11a3be1da7cb40abc8dbfbe0fc.jpg

IMG20211018230933.thumb.jpg.3682a6aadd978aeab0ec0a944a5a318d.jpg

IMG20211018230950.thumb.jpg.b15b93f213491b20fd1a60b92ac1258a.jpg

IMG20211018231041.thumb.jpg.568e76b9cdeb4ec747227268561346aa.jpg

IMG20211018231717.thumb.jpg.b7f1cab05a30adb420b1df24f49bdf62.jpg

I am impressed. It looks pretty blooming clean. I had it pictured in my head it was going to be minging 😂. Those seats look a very inviting place to sit ones bahookie.  Top adventuring! 

Further to the Megane Clutch situation , i found this in the car last night.

kwik.thumb.JPG.3fd000c6a7ed20d339024b323964427b.JPG

Seems it had clutch trouble in 2018. I suspect whoever changed that may not have refitted the R clip properly which put up a valiant effort until recently when it fucked off to pastures new rendering the car fucked. 

2 hours ago, dome said:

Further to the Megane Clutch situation , i found this in the car last night.

kwik.thumb.JPG.3fd000c6a7ed20d339024b323964427b.JPG

Seems it had clutch trouble in 2018. I suspect whoever changed that may not have refitted the R clip properly which put up a valiant effort until recently when it fucked off to pastures new rendering the car fucked. 

Clearly the lesson here is to only buy cars when you're drunk, especially if they are having clutch issues. 

MOT day on the Civic today. Despite the non opening boot it's actually turned out to be quite a decent car. Compared to the Bini, it's reliable and doesn't feel flaky.

There's a knocking from the front suspension somewhere so that will need fixed. I've told them about it so if they start anything about having to book it back in to fix it I will go ape shit. I do not want to be down to one working working car from 4.

Advisories from the last MOT have been addressed, namely tyres and brakes so hopefully its just a drop link or something.

No news from the other garage about the Audi. I would play a game of how long can they stand it being in their way but the place is littered with other cars that have been there for years so one more won't matter to them. I think it's going to be there for a good while. My plan is to replace it while it's away and when I get it back I'll decide what's happening then.

I definitely won't be using that garage again that's for certain.

Screenshot_20211021-102329_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4d7b0f0ea8f07bbff458270f7e3dd994.jpg

Fails were 100% expected although I didn't know which bush it was which was worn. So 2 drop links are the least worst of them all. Damper I saw when I was doing the pads.

The rest they weren't concerned about. I'll do the rear pads as long as the calipers aren't those daft ones that need wound out.

£245 all in, I'm not complaining at that at all.

JDM STANCE YO?

219006343_IMG_20211021_0947062.thumb.jpg.85fe9a42740bf0398d670da91df1e9c8.jpg

JDM STANCE NO...

354939078_IMG_20211021_0942192.thumb.jpg.7c1cbc37be20fa9fdd33891960304e8b.jpg

So, turns out the Forester's offside control arm was literally hanging by a thread. I'm guessing the multiple speed bumps to get into the garage complex finished it off... and it CALAPST while one of the mechanics was manoeuvring it to get it up on the post lift.

Fucksticks.

Currently awaiting the arrival of some lads with a forklift, as it's blocking the garage entrance and they can't get it moved on a dolly cos it's parked on gravel.

Generally, I've found that if forklifts loom large in your car's future, then it's not terribly likely to have a happy ending.

Still, small mercies: at least it didn't let go coming off the Sainsburys' roundabout a few minutes earlier. That would have been a right old pisser - immobile and straddling two lanes during the morning rush...

13 months MOT on the Civic now , woot.

It still knocks somewhat over bumps under 30mph but turning the radio up helps.

Also, there's now an annoying squeak from the front bumper. The strut top is buried under the windscreen and I'm not exactly sure what has had to come off to get to it but the squeak wasn't there before. Pressing the bumper or light stops it so I'll wedge some rubber in there to shut it up. A fiddly job no doubt but the car was in and out in a day, unlike the garage that still has the Audi.

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Become a bit addicted to tattoos in the last couple of years. My favourite tattooist had a spare hour today so managed to ruin some more skin.

3CECB57F-7F05-423B-B770-52CCE642D6F0.jpeg

I have a few, including a couple of (terrible) DIY ones, I've avoided hands so far because I'm not sure we're at a point in society yet where they're generally acceptable in professional jobs. I want to get more but have been skint for a while. The last one I got was a Halloween special, picked the design off the wall about 15 seconds before booking it for later in the day, still think it's quite cool. It's a Lego skeleton. First was a line art bike in Copenhagen, which remains the most expensive one because I went to quite a high end place at the insistence of my girlfriend at the time, artist was great and I've genuinely considered visiting again just to get another from him. Plan is to continue gradually filling up my right arm until I run out of space.

10 minutes ago, reb said:

I have a few, including a couple of (terrible) DIY ones, I've avoided hands so far because I'm not sure we're at a point in society yet where they're generally acceptable in professional jobs. I want to get more but have been skint for a while. The last one I got was a Halloween special, picked the design off the wall about 15 seconds before booking it for later in the day, still think it's quite cool. It's a Lego skeleton. First was a line art bike in Copenhagen, which remains the most expensive one because I went to quite a high end place at the insistence of my girlfriend at the time, artist was great and I've genuinely considered visiting again just to get another from him. Plan is to continue gradually filling up my right arm until I run out of space.

I’m a big fan, I’ve found a Lithuanian chap who is brilliant but barely speaks English so it’s a bit boring sat there!

I don’t plan on working in a professional role so my other hand is covered too… 

EFC90F7F-8376-484B-BA25-D9781B65B46F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m a big fan, I’ve found a Lithuanian chap who is brilliant but barely speaks English so it’s a bit boring sat there!

That's really smart, I like that 👌

Anywhere I can't cover up is a no go for me due to my job annoyingly, I've fancied one on my hand for a while. Running out of arm space !

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This is my most recent one: (shit photo because it's the inside of my upper arm)

20211021_181838.thumb.jpg.e186ac6c1b7b875385a197ff3b3a0ec8.jpg

It's not all that recent now though, I'd planned for one last year (a turbo, an actual turbo rather than an alternator lol) but then covid happened. Probably for the best actually because I think I might have regretted that one. Next one will probably be a dagger/knife running between the two on my arm already. I lack the patience and funds for bigger pieces, and actually prefer to have a collection of smaller ones. I have a voucher for a palm sized piece from a local-ish place, it doesn't have an expiry date on it but it's a few years old now so I'll have to get in touch and see if they'll still honour it. If they will I might get something somewhere other than my arm, as I have lanky arms and something palm sized probably wouldn't fit.

As for talking while it's being done, the only thing I talked to the guy that did the Lego skeleton about was the DIY tattoos. I showed him them and he just said they could be worse! I'm quite tempted to break out the machine and fix the dodgy lines on them, though I'll have to do a bit of practice on fake skin first because it's been years since I used a tattoo machine.