Father Ted

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

It's lil bit weepy..

20211017_172551.jpg

20211017_172525.jpg

IMG-20211017-WA0005.jpeg

I have a 3 ton SGS that uses the same mechanism for lifting and lowering 

It only lifts halfway before it starts weazing and pumping air

Is there any special way of bleeding these ?

I've tried a few techniques shown on ytube,but nothing seems to work 

Don't worry, it was absolutely loaded with sugar, for energy see?

It seems like the first week of training involves sitting on Teams calls all week then the second involves shadowing other team members. I'll be interested to see how that works over teh interwebs. I set up the remote working software the other day, it seems to be missing the softphone and it buggered up my Firefox profile, but it seems to be a reasonably intuitive bit of software. It logs you in to a separate windows profile with everything locked down except a web browser that can only go to certain websites, though I've already figured out how to get it to go to Google. Not that I think I'll have time to fanny about on the internet!

It's not too bad really as it's running in Windows which I don't really use for very much, most of my time on the computer I'm running Kubuntu, I actually prefer it to whatever shitey laptop a company would provide because it means I get to use my clicky clacky keyboard and dual 27" monitors. Another company I applied for supplied a desktop but if I'd got that it'd have involved massive upheaval of my desk to make it fit, and I only have so many plugs!

1 hour ago, reb said:

Don't worry, it was absolutely loaded with sugar, for energy see?

It seems like the first week of training involves sitting on Teams calls all week then the second involves shadowing other team members. I'll be interested to see how that works over teh interwebs. I set up the remote working software the other day, it seems to be missing the softphone and it buggered up my Firefox profile, but it seems to be a reasonably intuitive bit of software. It logs you in to a separate windows profile with everything locked down except a web browser that can only go to certain websites, though I've already figured out how to get it to go to Google. Not that I think I'll have time to fanny about on the internet!

If your using your own kit for it OBS screen record the meetings. 

I took over from someone who handed in their notice way back in the days of lock down 1, and we had 2 weeks worth of teams calls as a handover whilst doing our jobs (now both mine) and I was covering another department who had all their staff furloughed and the bloke who remained had his little boy stillborn a week after 😭

If I hadn't screen recorded it all I'd be utterly fucked! Messed the sound up on the 3 most important ones though... 

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

If your using your own kit for it OBS screen record the meetings. 

I took over from someone who handed in their notice way back in the days of lock down 1, and we had 2 weeks worth of teams calls as a handover whilst doing our jobs (now both mine) and I was covering another department who had all their staff furloughed and the bloke who remained had his little boy stillborn a week after 😭

If I hadn't screen recorded it all I'd be utterly fucked! Messed the sound up on the 3 most important ones though... 

Can't use a screen recorder as the profile is locked down and can't run any other software unfortunately

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

I'm not sure you need compressors. Aren't the shocks and springs separate?

They are, but I'm still not sure how you'd get the spring out without compressing it.  Unless you remove both bump stops and then ping the spring out with a pry bar?

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

They are, but I'm still not sure how you'd get the spring out without compressing it.  Unless you remove both bump stops and then ping the spring out with a pry bar?

As far as I know it's the same arrangement as a Mégane 3.

Jack the corner up, remove the wheel, support the hub. Then remove the plastic cover off the lower arm and the complete shock. The top of the shock is accessed through the boot. Mark the position of the lower spring seat on the arm then lower the arm and the spring should be removable. Re assembly is the reverse, etc.

3 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I thought I had pretty good knowledge on crap cars and late 80s/early 90s Motorsport but I had no idea until yesterday there was a group B Lada Riva Rally car 20211017_111722.thumb.jpg.f592fa2fe7aa5aa5ff9e455ebe06685d.jpg

And don't forget their other group b project 

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/38281/the-lada-samara-eva-was-the-ussrs-two-winged-group-b-rally-car

And, after chasing an engine donor for the Mazda for fucking ages, giving up and buying a broken Renault, one I'd previously looked at turned up on Gumtree, cheap, local and broken.

InkedInkedmazda6_LI.thumb.jpg.d259a5171a4cbc2844adf588091ccd74.jpg

Thank fuck for that! I drove over in the Kangoo at lunchtime in torrential rain, gave it a very quick check over(not mentioning I'd tried to buy it before), came to a price, paid for it and did the paperwork. I'll come back and collect it soon and nurse it to my mates unit where it'll meet its fate. 

There is an utterly fantastic Facebook group I've been added to called "British Roadscene 1955-1995"

Check this beauty out.  

May be an image of 1 person, standing, car and outdoors

Lovely pointy, angular lines - mixed in with the odd modest curve, an inviting front end with a lovely headlamp arrangement at either side.  You can do your own gag.

Seriously though, some of the photos are just incredible.  Check it out.

Mondial has a clean MOT for another year. Emissions perfect after my K-Jetronic tweaking earlier in the year. My new thermostat had also been opening at a slightly higher temperature than normal from cold start though working fine from hot and heat-gun showing gauge to be reasonably accurate. These engines are particularly sensitive to air pockets in the cooling system - I bled some bubbles from front and rear, topped up coolant (ideal level is a few cm lower than most people would expect) and fitted a new 0.9 bar expansion cap to replace the very worn old 1.1 one - Ferrari seem to have recommended a higher pressure sometime in the 1980's but I don't see what benefit it would provide given the standard cooling system on these cars is excellent if kept in good working order. Now stat opening perfectly again and whole system running a few degrees C cooler. 

mot.jpg

tankcap.jpg

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

There is an utterly fantastic Facebook group I've been added to called "British Roadscene 1955-1995"

Check this beauty out.  

May be an image of 1 person, standing, car and outdoors

Lovely pointy, angular lines - mixed in with the odd modest curve, an inviting front end with a lovely headlamp arrangement at either side.  You can do your own gag.

Seriously though, some of the photos are just incredible.  Check it out.

When I was at Art School in the last century, me & another lad used to take it in turns to drive. I had a Datsun 100a & Richard had a 15TL.

8 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Try streamyard, browser based, will do a record only, dead simple to use..

The browser is locked down and can only go to approved websites, turns out if you try to go to anything you're not meant to it just comes up with an error. Most of the actual learning is being done on a learning portal though, which will presumably remain accessible.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Rear beam axle? Just undo the shocks lower bolt and let them dangle.  lift the car up both sides as the same time with two jacks and with the wheels still on. And take the load of the springs.  

Largest expenditure to date on the Fabia. £36 for this which includes the washer pump. Has markings scrubbed off so I wouldn't be surprised if it's effectively genuine VAG.

One thing about VAG is that their parts are cheap and plentiful. Mostly because they tend to get through them...
3a0ac58b80d5e9c0ef4b1bcdc52e121f.jpg

Just now need to fit it. Bumper off job and it's been raining. Fun*

In other news, I've been Googling VAG 1.4 16v high clutch bite point and apparently TADIS on many. People have had their clutches + gearboxes changed out and the bite point hasn't lowered. Would be interesting to know others experience of them and if they find them high. Could be the fact they are tuned to be feather light and thus compromise is the travel on the master to slave isn't far on them.

Might make a separate thread on here to consolidate my modern cars like I have on TDW.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Largest expenditure to date on the Fabia. £36 for this which includes the washer pump. Has markings scrubbed off so I wouldn't be surprised if it's effectively genuine VAG.

One thing about VAG is that their parts are cheap and plentiful. Mostly because they tend to get through them...
3a0ac58b80d5e9c0ef4b1bcdc52e121f.jpg

Just now need to fit it. Bumper off job and it's been raining. Fun*

In other news, I've been Googling VAG 1.4 16v high clutch bite point and apparently TADIS on many. People have had their clutches + gearboxes changed out and the bite point hasn't lowered. Would be interesting to know others experience of them and if they find them high. Could be the fact they are tuned to be feather light and thus compromise is the travel on the master to slave isn't far on them.

Might make a separate thread on here to consolidate my modern cars like I have on TDW.

When i had my vrs a high pedal was fairly common, A few people had made up a little block for the back of the pedal to act as a bump stop so the pedal felt like normal travel as the block would touch the floor first. 

On 10/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, Cord Fourteener said:

I see, colour first letters. 

I also hate naming cars, I'm surrounded by people who do it so I tried; Mitsubishi Carisma with FKR in the reg was The Fucker (because of gremlins in its Renault engine) Sven the Saab, Ralph (BMW) und Florian (Porsche 924) (they were on the fleet at the same time, there's a musical reference to appease my loathing of naming cars) then I tried to name the Volvo at the behest of the namers but I've managed to forget the name. 

It's the Volvo. 

Actually Volvo were originally a ball bearings manufacturer (involving WW2 espionage) and Volvo is Latin for 'I roll'.

Audi is Latin for 'hear this', simply a translation of Horsch, which is the surname of the founder, though his first eponymous company kicked him off the board so he couldn't use Horsch again, his son who studied Latin suggested the translation.

Just catching up on this thread, but I briefly attempted to name the Volvo 'Gunhilda' but didn't commit to it because I just felt a bit stupid nicknaming a car that everyone else referred to as 'The Volvo'. 

The 924 formally known as Florian's name didn't stick around longer than the drive back from Oswestry. I just find saying 'The Porsche' far more satisfying.

When i had my vrs a high pedal was fairly common, A few people had made up a little block for the back of the pedal to act as a bump stop so the pedal felt like normal travel as the block would touch the floor first. 

That's similar to what I've read elsewhere. The vrs wasn't as bad as the smaller engine stuff either. Interesting that VAG engineered it that way. Newer stuff doesn't seem as bad.
I'm pretty certain it's the compromise they did by having a very narrow bore master to give a light clutch. But then that won't offer anywhere near as much throw on the slave end.
Also did wonder if the slave retracts slightly too far. Like when calipers sometimes do when the seals grab a bit too much, which gives a weak pedal. 

Bumper off
0a9f1fc2fd52f60442ac5f791f738621.jpg

Three bolts for the water tank to come off. The tank mounting lugs were snapped and this is almost certainly where the water was leaking out. Almost certain had a whack on the front bumper and hit the tank.
c8537092b97cbfd54a00af60a95b14b5.jpg

For 36 quid the tank even came with a new pump. Would be rude not to fit it too

Old
d03efe31194ee33acc0872f7997d3d47.jpg

New. Pipes were a fancy push fitting rather than trying to get a pipe over a ribbed area
1fe22853b9380049b391fc4111f64630.jpg

Gave me a chance to check PAS level. Despite it not showing on the dipstick, the fluid was between the min and max marks. This is good as it doesn't need topping up nor has any leaked.
3b3a6f187a6f6b35eb0b00a949004c0b.jpg

Tank went it. The front mounting lug was in the wrong place. Again suggesting the tank has been hit.
852833e7d533bac1b7225eda516b719a.jpg

Bent that in place and bolted up
afe4ae7c90f92a5d1be03179343f7b30.jpg

Bumper back on. Under the tank, the bumper fitting is broken off. I bet either someone came off a kerb a bit fast and bounced the corner or hit a low pillar/bollard or similar. No scratches on the bumper though.
0bb6a9f9663de3877c307ee8a37dd65e.jpg

Nearside fog light was manky inside. I think its had water get through it and leak inside.
f377c34c7a2e9ae8afe9a0adec0b868d.jpg

The bulb had blown up too. Probably water on the bulb envelope that caused it to shatter when the fog light was turned on.
49cbd17fc2487882e5c025582b139ad3.jpg

I opened up the back to gave a quick clean and wipe through. I'll look out for a new bulb. A HB4 on eBay is a fiver which is a fair bit for something I'll never use. Pretty sure I have a spare kicking around somewhere.
cb35c0c4c8af1f7e8c59642cdd43f756.jpg

Filled the tank, checked for leaks and tested the pump. In doing so I moved the seat and put my hand on another handle. Turns out there is a storage bin under the seat! Bet it's never been used.
dae1deb4111975aedc0ae8a252a63c33.jpg

The passenger side has a CD Changer! Unfortunately the head unit isn't connected to it anymore either. I bet this has never been used either. Did anyone ever use a CD Changer?
976be5df6484ea6fa7c99b011db4afe2.jpg

Bonus picture of the Dealer sticker on the back. I believe this is somewhere near Lymington, Southampton area.
f4c3eb8df8f0b201104beceb69b4cc27.jpg

Nice little easy job changing this tank. Kept me amused this evening at least.