The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I think the 1.4 16v was 100hp. My 1.6 8v in the Felicia is 75hp. This isn't great when the ancient 1.3 pushrod of Škodas own design chucks out 68hp. The VW engine is much quieter, that's its only advantage. 

They did it in 75bhp and 100bhp tunes. I believe the 100bhp is a different cam and map. Also only on the top end too. Mine is a BKY engine code iirc. 

Tbh this engine isn't exactly the quietest or most refined units. Not just this example, seeing other videos of work being done on them they sound pretty noisy. Especially at cold.

However the car is well sound proofed and it reduces the sound to a quiet thrum. Probably why you hear/see old people rev the feck out of them!

Ah, never knew that. I know mk1 Fabias were available with a 1.4 version of the Škoda pushrod too. I don't know the power of that but it must have been similar. Didn't realise there were quite so many engine options available. Maybe your engine replaced the 1.4 pushrod, I see yours is a late mk1. Probably detuned to meet some sort of emmisions target though in the real world the 100bhp engine would need less effort to keep going so was probably just as economical. 

11 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Ah, never knew that. I know mk1 Fabias were available with a 1.4 version of the Škoda pushrod too. I don't know the power of that but it must have been similar. Didn't realise there were quite so many engine options available. Maybe your engine replaced the 1.4 pushrod, I see yours is a late mk1. Probably detuned to meet some sort of emmisions target though in the real world the 100bhp engine would need less effort to keep going so was probably just as economical. 

I believe the 100bhp required super unleaded too. Renault managed 100bhp standard out of their humdrum 1.4 16v in the Clio/Mégane/Scenic/etc. 

I seem to vaguely remember reading that they are low output for insurance purposes in Germany. 

That would be the 1.9 SDI surely?
Never seen the appeal of those engines. Very slow, heavy, unrefined rattly and noisy lumps. Big units that fill the engine bay and makes working in there more awkward. Also injection system more complex than a 2000 era MPI petrol.

This petrol you can barely tell is running at idle. Yet still gets 45+ mpg.

Been having a poke around the newly acquired C4 Grand Pigsarsehole today.  It runs OK and has MOT until next July, but it has a few jobs that need sorting - there is a dead ABS sensor, which is making the car throw up error messages for the ABS, ESP and EPB (although the parking brake actually works fine); the struts for the tailgate have given up; and the front strut top mounts are knocking like a bastard (apparently they were done a couple of years ago but the garage that did them presumably got the parts from Aliexpress as they're knackered again.

None of the parts required are expensive, but I suspect the strut top mounts are going to be a bugger to do as they're buried under the windscreen in typical modern MPV fashion.  I might just live with the knocking for a bit.

It's interesting to compare it with the Scénic - they were on sale at the same time and aimed very much at the same type of buyer.  The C4 is noticeably quicker, despite having exactly the same power (the 110bhp version of the ever reliable* 1.6 HDI) and one less gear.  It's also bigger in the back, and the seats are a better design - the floor is flat with the second and third rows folded down, which it isn't on the Renault.  It also has the advantage of working aircon, which the Renault doesn't currently have.  I still prefer the Scénic to drive though - although annoyingly I discovered this weekend that it's done a Renault and broken a rear spring, so that's another job that'll need doing before the MOT - I'll probably farm it out to the garage as I hate buggering around with spring compressors.

The Picasso doesn't have as sophisticated a dashboard as the Scénic - it's a "traditional" LCD display rather than a TFT screen - but you can change the colour of the backlighting which is quite a neat trick.  It also has the funky C4 steering wheel with the stationary boss which I've always rather liked.  And it has the advantage of a towbar, although I'm not sure I'd fancy towing anything too heavy with a 1.6-litre engine.

Not sure what I'm going to do with them - I think the C4, being the most vanlike, will stay until I can find myself another van and then it'll be punted on.  The Renner might stay a bit longer as long as it doesn't need too much for a test, as I do rather like it.

I start training for my new job in just over an hour. It's been so quick going from interview to offer to start date I've not really had a chance to worry about it. I visited a couple of friends who've worked in call centres on Saturday and they assured me I'm going to love* it. How bad can it be?

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

It's lil bit weepy..

20211017_172551.jpg

20211017_172525.jpg

IMG-20211017-WA0005.jpeg

I have a 3 ton SGS that uses the same mechanism for lifting and lowering 

It only lifts halfway before it starts weazing and pumping air

Is there any special way of bleeding these ?

I've tried a few techniques shown on ytube,but nothing seems to work 

Don't worry, it was absolutely loaded with sugar, for energy see?

It seems like the first week of training involves sitting on Teams calls all week then the second involves shadowing other team members. I'll be interested to see how that works over teh interwebs. I set up the remote working software the other day, it seems to be missing the softphone and it buggered up my Firefox profile, but it seems to be a reasonably intuitive bit of software. It logs you in to a separate windows profile with everything locked down except a web browser that can only go to certain websites, though I've already figured out how to get it to go to Google. Not that I think I'll have time to fanny about on the internet!

It's not too bad really as it's running in Windows which I don't really use for very much, most of my time on the computer I'm running Kubuntu, I actually prefer it to whatever shitey laptop a company would provide because it means I get to use my clicky clacky keyboard and dual 27" monitors. Another company I applied for supplied a desktop but if I'd got that it'd have involved massive upheaval of my desk to make it fit, and I only have so many plugs!

1 hour ago, reb said:

Don't worry, it was absolutely loaded with sugar, for energy see?

It seems like the first week of training involves sitting on Teams calls all week then the second involves shadowing other team members. I'll be interested to see how that works over teh interwebs. I set up the remote working software the other day, it seems to be missing the softphone and it buggered up my Firefox profile, but it seems to be a reasonably intuitive bit of software. It logs you in to a separate windows profile with everything locked down except a web browser that can only go to certain websites, though I've already figured out how to get it to go to Google. Not that I think I'll have time to fanny about on the internet!

If your using your own kit for it OBS screen record the meetings. 

I took over from someone who handed in their notice way back in the days of lock down 1, and we had 2 weeks worth of teams calls as a handover whilst doing our jobs (now both mine) and I was covering another department who had all their staff furloughed and the bloke who remained had his little boy stillborn a week after 😭

If I hadn't screen recorded it all I'd be utterly fucked! Messed the sound up on the 3 most important ones though... 

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

If your using your own kit for it OBS screen record the meetings. 

I took over from someone who handed in their notice way back in the days of lock down 1, and we had 2 weeks worth of teams calls as a handover whilst doing our jobs (now both mine) and I was covering another department who had all their staff furloughed and the bloke who remained had his little boy stillborn a week after 😭

If I hadn't screen recorded it all I'd be utterly fucked! Messed the sound up on the 3 most important ones though... 

Can't use a screen recorder as the profile is locked down and can't run any other software unfortunately

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

They are, but I'm still not sure how you'd get the spring out without compressing it.  Unless you remove both bump stops and then ping the spring out with a pry bar?

As far as I know it's the same arrangement as a Mégane 3.

Jack the corner up, remove the wheel, support the hub. Then remove the plastic cover off the lower arm and the complete shock. The top of the shock is accessed through the boot. Mark the position of the lower spring seat on the arm then lower the arm and the spring should be removable. Re assembly is the reverse, etc.

3 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I thought I had pretty good knowledge on crap cars and late 80s/early 90s Motorsport but I had no idea until yesterday there was a group B Lada Riva Rally car 20211017_111722.thumb.jpg.f592fa2fe7aa5aa5ff9e455ebe06685d.jpg

And don't forget their other group b project 

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/38281/the-lada-samara-eva-was-the-ussrs-two-winged-group-b-rally-car

And, after chasing an engine donor for the Mazda for fucking ages, giving up and buying a broken Renault, one I'd previously looked at turned up on Gumtree, cheap, local and broken.

InkedInkedmazda6_LI.thumb.jpg.d259a5171a4cbc2844adf588091ccd74.jpg

Thank fuck for that! I drove over in the Kangoo at lunchtime in torrential rain, gave it a very quick check over(not mentioning I'd tried to buy it before), came to a price, paid for it and did the paperwork. I'll come back and collect it soon and nurse it to my mates unit where it'll meet its fate. 

There is an utterly fantastic Facebook group I've been added to called "British Roadscene 1955-1995"

Check this beauty out.  

May be an image of 1 person, standing, car and outdoors

Lovely pointy, angular lines - mixed in with the odd modest curve, an inviting front end with a lovely headlamp arrangement at either side.  You can do your own gag.

Seriously though, some of the photos are just incredible.  Check it out.

Mondial has a clean MOT for another year. Emissions perfect after my K-Jetronic tweaking earlier in the year. My new thermostat had also been opening at a slightly higher temperature than normal from cold start though working fine from hot and heat-gun showing gauge to be reasonably accurate. These engines are particularly sensitive to air pockets in the cooling system - I bled some bubbles from front and rear, topped up coolant (ideal level is a few cm lower than most people would expect) and fitted a new 0.9 bar expansion cap to replace the very worn old 1.1 one - Ferrari seem to have recommended a higher pressure sometime in the 1980's but I don't see what benefit it would provide given the standard cooling system on these cars is excellent if kept in good working order. Now stat opening perfectly again and whole system running a few degrees C cooler. 

mot.jpg

tankcap.jpg

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

There is an utterly fantastic Facebook group I've been added to called "British Roadscene 1955-1995"

Check this beauty out.  

May be an image of 1 person, standing, car and outdoors

Lovely pointy, angular lines - mixed in with the odd modest curve, an inviting front end with a lovely headlamp arrangement at either side.  You can do your own gag.

Seriously though, some of the photos are just incredible.  Check it out.

When I was at Art School in the last century, me & another lad used to take it in turns to drive. I had a Datsun 100a & Richard had a 15TL.