The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Today a news article has been published about my great - grandfather's resistance during the war. He made illegal newspapers from a secret room in the attic. He came through the war unharmed but his brother was unfortunately arrested and tortured and ended up in a prison camp but also survived. Pictured below are them and a friend at work in the secret room during the war.

1d0fc3e0-3d4f-47a0-bb4d-af4bfedeb6ec.jpeg.8c67b5fe030d9a5ddd2a93059642c7df.jpeg

Wow, what a history. All over Europe and the world people refused to give up and put themselves in harms way to carry out resistance and sabotage. 

Clutch in grandma's Rav4 is slipping again, making this the 5th clutch replacement and probably the 4th DMF replacement (if she's lucky) in her ownership. I also checked the oil out of curiosity and it's nearly on the minimum. I knew it burned oil, but considering it's only been a few months since its service and the blue clouds it belches out, I'd imagine the piston rings aren't too happy.

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

Clutch in grandma's Rav4 is slipping again, making this the 5th clutch replacement and probably the 4th DMF replacement (if she's lucky) in her ownership. I also checked the oil out of curiosity and it's nearly on the minimum. I knew it burned oil, but considering it's only been a few months since its service and the blue clouds it belches out, I'd imagine the piston rings aren't too happy.

Maybe it's time to get her in an automatic 🤔 

15 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Wow, what a history. All over Europe and the world people refused to give up and put themselves in harms way to carry out resistance and sabotage. 

Yes it is an incredible story and can say that I am proud of this. The most amazing thing about this is that the house was subjected to several raids during the war but they never found the secret room. My grandfather experienced all this so must have been unusual and frightening childhood.

And is impressive with the resistance movement and the risk they were exposed to but they continued nonetheless. I had the pleasure of mowing the lawn of a former member of the resistance movement when I was young. And remembers well the story when he sat for several hours on a bus full of German soldiers with a radio hidden in a box full of apples and he knew well what would happen if he was caught.

And can add another story. A distant relative of mine was a sailor. He left home when he was about 15 and was at sea through both the First World War and the Second World War. And experienced several boats that sunk and had to desperately get out of the engine room while the boat went down, to be picked up out of the cold Atlantic, and lose and watch colleagues and friends die. This generation was amazing and we will never have such people again and they and their stories should never be forgotten.

11 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Yes, always!

I hate with a passion this naming your cars bollocks, but in yet another attempt to fit in on here, here's a pic of Boris (the black loan car) just before 'he' went home, and then...

DSCN6427.thumb.JPG.5b72880a65746a6f1882ec384094012c.JPG

Followed by a lovely shot of Billy (the blue car) & Sue ( the silver car) back together again...

DSCN6428.thumb.JPG.1c710e8fa0fc4ce4fb97c9baa39cc8d4.JPG

Cue Billy/Sue singing a cover version of Peaches & Herb, 're-united'.

Makes me want to puke my fucking ring up.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

I hate with a passion this naming your cars bollocks, but in yet another attempt to fit in on here, here's a pic of Boris (the black loan car) just before 'he' went home, and then...

DSCN6427.thumb.JPG.5b72880a65746a6f1882ec384094012c.JPG

Followed by a lovely shot of Billy (the blue car) & Sue ( the silver car) back together again...

DSCN6428.thumb.JPG.1c710e8fa0fc4ce4fb97c9baa39cc8d4.JPG

Cue Billy/Sue singing a cover version of Peaches & Herb, 're-united'.

Makes me want to puke my fucking ring up.

I see, colour first letters. 

I also hate naming cars, I'm surrounded by people who do it so I tried; Mitsubishi Carisma with FKR in the reg was The Fucker (because of gremlins in its Renault engine) Sven the Saab, Ralph (BMW) und Florian (Porsche 924) (they were on the fleet at the same time, there's a musical reference to appease my loathing of naming cars) then I tried to name the Volvo at the behest of the namers but I've managed to forget the name. 

It's the Volvo. 

Actually Volvo were originally a ball bearings manufacturer (involving WW2 espionage) and Volvo is Latin for 'I roll'.

Audi is Latin for 'hear this', simply a translation of Horsch, which is the surname of the founder, though his first eponymous company kicked him off the board so he couldn't use Horsch again, his son who studied Latin suggested the translation.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Yes it is an incredible story and can say that I am proud of this. The most amazing thing about this is that the house was subjected to several raids during the war but they never found the secret room. My grandfather experienced all this so must have been unusual and frightening childhood.

And is impressive with the resistance movement and the risk they were exposed to but they continued nonetheless. I had the pleasure of mowing the lawn of a former member of the resistance movement when I was young. And remembers well the story when he sat for several hours on a bus full of German soldiers with a radio hidden in a box full of apples and he knew well what would happen if he was caught.

And can add another story. A distant relative of mine was a sailor. He left home when he was about 15 and was at sea through both the First World War and the Second World War. And experienced several boats that sunk and had to desperately get out of the engine room while the boat went down, to be picked up out of the cold Atlantic, and lose and watch colleagues and friends die. This generation was amazing and we will never have such people again and they and their stories should never be forgotten.

What a fucked up century, so many personal tales of struggle, pain, horror, death, survival, personal sacrifice for the greater good, not living to see the outcomes, it goes on and on. 

1 minute ago, Cord Fourteener said:

What a fucked up century, so many personal tales of struggle, pain, horror, death, survival, personal sacrifice for the greater good, not living to see the outcomes, it goes on and on. 

I’m reading Tim Moore’s latest travelogue bike ride at the moment. Lots of detail about Spain’s troubles under Franco etc. I really don’t know what drives people to murder like this.

11 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Yes it is. And it is important that we do not forget this. War is the most idiotic thing there is.

9 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history. 

Yes it is true and I end this with a quote from Neville Chamberlain on war.

In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are no winners, but all are losers.

have dragged the Metro out of its slumber today, and driven it up to George's so he can sort it out an MOT.

its the first time out in over 2 years.

what do we know from our drive today?

well, there is some vibration when under way, which is i think flat spotted tyres.

and the brakes are hopeless. there is not much braking unless the pedal is mashed to the floor. but it does ride very, very nicely now on its refurbished displacers, far more compliant than before with actually some bounce when needed,

so that will be the first thing that George will be looking at.

and guess what, who was the first thing we saw when setting off, in an untaxed and untested car? 

it IS insured, not that matters without the other paperwork.

yes. a bloody copper.

lucky for  me, he was more interested in getting up to Maccy D's than on the metro's paperwork!

and Kerry has been enjoying Cocopop too and from work this week. the car is riding beautifully. i have had a run around the block in it, and well, i didn't much enjoy it. 

there you have it, i didn't really enjoy driving it. not at all.

so much so, i haven't used it myself for work since it came back. not that really i want to be in a small, slow car like on the Parkway/A19/A66 in rush hour.

i  think its future, along with the metro and mini 1000 are going to need to be seriously considered over the coming weeks and months.

1 hour ago, MarvinsMom said:

i think its future, along with the metro and mini 1000 are going to need to be seriously considered over the coming weeks and months

The rampant price rises probably mean I can't afford anymore, so depending on whether I can fit my budget, I potentially am still interested!

Yesterday I picked up this retro Lumen Tune Up analyser for the princely sum of £5. It looks like it has never been used. It is essentially an old school multimeter but includes and inductive pick up lead for measuring RPM based upon the current in the HT leads.

IMG_20211016_220038812.thumb.jpg.6df74c6025f8da0766d55c702294c7a6.jpg

I like the way that it works for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines and 2, 3 or 4 rotor engines! I haven't tested it yet but I will do a video of it.

Over the last few days I've been gently preparing the 944 for use for the 1st time since it shat its petrol out all over the street outside my house in the spring. 

I also had to get the Visa running which was parked behind it. 

20210921_123450.thumb.jpg.6b2bb2fc04d2ad48c4a8f4ba22a9127a.jpg

The reason for this is that Northern Monkey has kindly offered storage for the Porsche for a couple of months. 

So yesterday morning I took the battery off charge, filled the boot up with tools, chucked in a tow rope, took a screenshot of the Autoaid phone number, checked the wheel nuts (they were loose, obviously) and set off over to him. 

As Mrs Imp was following I couldn't really give it much of an Italian tune up sadly but it actually drove over there fine. All my prep for an inevitable breakdown was (thankfully) in vain. 

Anyhow, got a quick picture of ImpJr with it. 

20211016_130705.thumb.jpg.ceb19099ec18f04becc188f12c07e8b6.jpg

He also got to sit in a Land Rover which he was well excited about. 

20211016_132203.thumb.jpg.3efbdaa65342f7e0e846562513250d79.jpg

Anyhow, back at home, the driveway now looks a little different and my cars aren't spilling out onto the road and my insurance company can breathe a sigh of relief that the Subaru is parked where I told them. 

20211017_093605.thumb.jpg.4c2645ec2fb6f618b0313ca36e7317f8.jpg

It might have been the last time I drove the 944. Northern Monkey has expressed interest in it as it is sans sills. Obviously after driving it yesterday and absolutely loving it, that seems like a silly idea at the moment but after a couple of weeks not seeing it, the idea of not owning it and worrying about all the work it needs will probably appeal much more. 

First job without the mental block that is the Porsche on the drive, is to tidy up this mess:

20210921_123409.thumb.jpg.02f9780a7a458fb0a64cf513f9678d4a.jpg