The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Hibernating?  or actually gone (hope not!)

Yep, just hibernating. Back to my parent's drive for a couple of week, as I've managed to get storage lined up locally to them which will become free in a few weeks time, on the proviso that I go and clear the space myself. Which is a right result.

I'm going to have to Sorn the Volvo for a little while, I need to sort out the heater control leak, and after drying the footwell it looks like it leaks when just sitting with coolant in. 

So I need to drain the coolant to remove the heater control valve in order to look at it. Plus it's due a good service. 

Also the MOT is due soon, so if I can leave that a few months while I do the servicing and heater control repairs that's no bad thing. 

It will be nice to have it back on the road soon though

Once again, thanks to @Dave_Q for sorting me out with a spare key before the Mrs puts mine in a safe place. 

I posted it Monday morning special tracked next day and its back just now, lunch time Wednesday. 

Within the third day, that is. Impressive.  Perhaps because its the right kind of key but still, I'm impressed. 

Thanks, good sir. 

20211013_131341.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, Dan29 said:

The Puma goes in for its MoT tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it passes first time as I'm a bit short of dosh at the moment! 

It passed! The council MoT stations definitely seem fairer than Halfrauds etc. Think I'll enjoy a few more months with the Puma and will then need to swap it for something estate-shaped in the new year. 

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Rather like the best way to keep waxoyl drips off the drive is to rustproof it at work.

This 10000%. Made friends*

Usually old sawdust, cat litter or sand fixes most spills for us. When the BX widdled LHM all over the place we had to use cement as the mineral oil was melting the tarmac of the driveway.

10 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Fail. 

Yeah, washing up liquid did the square root of Jack. 

I've got a jug of Gunk driveway cleaner which I've heard is mostly useless, but I'll give it a try anyway. Soon. Ish. 

I've heard that cat litter / fuller's earth can help soak up this type of thing. It did have some effect on spilt LHM, but needs loads more to do anything worthwhile....

19 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Fail. 

Yeah, washing up liquid did the square root of Jack. 

I've got a jug of Gunk driveway cleaner which I've heard is mostly useless, but I'll give it a try anyway. Soon. Ish. 

As others said, have you tried brake cleaner or even carb cleaner?

I've been mulling over what to do with the knackered catalyst that the pinkies tried to nick off the crv, initially I thought about getting it welded back together, then thought about buying welding kit and doing it myself, both potentially costing a few quid. Option three is to fit a cheap eBay replacement and sell the damaged one for scrap. 

I sent a couple of messages off to metal recyclers on fb marketplace and got a price back, I phoned a local place and the guy said to bring it in to see him, he hummed and harred then said he'd match the online offer. Not a bad result, I now have £300 in the bank so will actually be in profit* once I get a cheapy off eBay. 

I suspect I've been low balled but considering I was very close to having bugger all and still needing a replacement, I'm not too miffed.

i nipped into europarts to see what they had available and the guy was very helpful, looked up all the parts codes, even printed everything off for me. the total was over £600 :( how big a bollock have I just dropped ? 

he compared his parts list with the one I'd found on eBay and confirmed it correct, price £219 next day delivered. I'd placed the order before I was out of the carpark :) 

I bought a clay bar kit and tackled the BMW. It had not been polished since I had some paintwork done 12 months ago. I gave the wheels  a clean and dressed the tyres. The car is now 17 years old - thoughts of a change come and go as I am mindful if it developed engine problems no one would touch it - it seems many places no longer want to do anything more taxing than a service. In its favour are its excellent condition and low mileage - it's just gone over 97k 20211014_163225.thumb.jpg.dc8a3671633a9d87481b3bf73f426a3a.jpg

It is still a capable mile muncher with plenty of oomph - I would have to spend at least three times what it would sell for to get something else as capable.

16 minutes ago, Bren said:

I bought a clay bar kit and tackled the BMW. It had not been polished since I had some paintwork done 12 months ago. I gave the wheels  a clean and dressed the tyres. The car is now 17 years old - thoughts of a change come and go as I am mindful if it developed engine problems no one would touch it - it seems many places no longer want to do anything more taxing than a service. In its favour are its excellent condition and low mileage - it's just gone over 97k 20211014_163225.thumb.jpg.dc8a3671633a9d87481b3bf73f426a3a.jpg

It is still a capable mile muncher with plenty of oomph - I would have to spend at least three times what it would sell for to get something else as capable.

Looks fantastic!

18 minutes ago, Bren said:

It looks fab, I really like these and have been waiting for a decent 530 i or d to pop up locally but they are all knackered with 200k on usually.

Been using the MX5 for work this week. It’s getting dark in the mornings so used the sidelights. Today I managed to leave them on so of course flat battery!

Thankfulky there were a few kids about who were late being picked up. So I got a few of them to try and push start me! They failed. But my step son (who was one of the kids) fell over whilst doing it and hurt himself… d’oh! Thankfully one of the other staff had a jump pack and got me going.

Other car news: we went to Pwllheli to pick up bits for the 2CV. Loaded up the Elgrand with the wings and doors and set off. But the back brakes failed noisily, no tools meant an RAC call, but for the second time in 8 days their response time was under 2 hours. New discs and pads will be needed but we got it home. I called the chap welding the 2CV today too to see how he was getting on with it. “All done you can come and get it” was I his response! Excellent! Will get it back Saturday and then we can focus on the fitting the body panels we have for it and the bits which need beautifying.