The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Completely in a state of being over tired and not being able to sleep at 1am I decided randomly to have a go at a mock motorcycle theory test without ever having done any revision and managed 49/50.

I then proceeded to book my theory for 13th November.

Ive never ridden a motorcycle since having a moped at 16 and don’t know anything about bikes. 

You only live once! I’m going to do my direct access in the spring, might then replace the Discovery with a bike to see what the fuss is about.

I need to do this, I have grandfathered rights on a 50cc, but have this Aprilia scooter sitting in the garage for the last 4 years waiting for me to get my licence.

I think I will do my theory, cbt and take to the road and see if I like it before doing my test. I had a 50cc Honda on the road 7 years ago and the traffic passing me was unpleasant, so I bought the 125cc. And yes partly bought it because I liked the look of it even if it is only a plastic fantastic.

post-19532-0-84313300-1493631418.jpg

I bought a can of spray for the vectra's headlights - they look more like a dockers teeth and are a fetching shade of yellow.

However as I masked them up I have decided that they are too far gone - most of it is on the inside.

As you may recall, I administer a small fleet of mini-buses. I got a phone call to let me know that the tail lift on one of them had failed leaving an old dear in a wheelchair stuck on board. I'm no mechanic, so I fired up an alternate bus with a working lift, thinking I'd be able to scoop her out of the back. I carefully mashed a flask of sweet, milky tea & two mugs and set off for what can best be described as 'a mercy dash'...

East Kent - Wolferton via Lechlade and Cheltenham yesterday.  Wolferton to East Kent via Cheltenham today.  Some of the nicest roads I've driven on in a long time but bugger me I'm tired.  How you professional drivers put in hundreds of miles a day, I'll never know.  Not like my car is particularly uncomfortable or anything, either.  I'm just a fat bastard.

8 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Just pulled into Sainsbury’s petrol station for the airline. Wife pointed out an “old brown car”. It was @Crackersin his P6

The last you'll see of it for a while, I was filling the tank up to take it up to my parents' place, to get it out of my way for a few weeks while I arrange winter storage. It'll return in 2022!

Snapchat-1390294864.thumb.jpg.ad28763e36aff5ecbf076a006ab16072.jpg

On 10/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, MarvinsMom said:

Got all 4 cones changed on Cocopop, at last. George has had a mare of a job with it, as everything has been seized solid, and then the other week he had been in and out of the garage to deal with loonies running outta fuel.

20211009_070055.thumb.jpg.f99f8a340d096656b8231762263a8f95.jpg

the car is more like a monster truck instead of the low rider, that we were driving before hand.

car is booked in now for its MOT next week. the first time in more than 2 years

we have had the tracking done, now we have to run it for a bit, and then get the tracking done again when the suspension settles a bit.

Cocopop has achived an MOT pass, the first time it in 2 and 1/2 years that the car has been tested.

now to tax it, and use it, and hopfully enjoy it at least a bit before the bad weather starts and i've got to put it away. again.

One to watch out for as I know a lot of people use Autoaid on here - the bank card I used to pay last year's membership expired, so I got a text saying my renewal hadn't gone through and asking me to phone up. Fine, except the guy said they now ask for the registration of cars in your household. I then got 'oh, the standard policy doesn't cover cars more than 15 years old, you need to take out an older car policy' (£74.99 rather than £59.99). Still cheaper than the AA or whatever and they were good the one time I needed to use them in the past, but not sure what would have happened if the renewal had gone through and then I'd broken down...

Hmmm, don't remember them highlighting that on any of their T&Cs... I've been with Autoaid for over three years now, though never yet needed to call them out - and both our household cars are now in the '15yr old plus' bracket.

Will get on to them pronto and see what the score is - yep, the cover's still cheaper than AA/RAC so I don't particularly object to paying fifteen quid extra, but I'd be well hacked off if I was stranded and they turned me down because they never made me aware of this rather important fact... cheers for bringing this up!

21 hours ago, angle said:

One to watch out for as I know a lot of people use Autoaid on here - the bank card I used to pay last year's membership expired, so I got a text saying my renewal hadn't gone through and asking me to phone up. Fine, except the guy said they now ask for the registration of cars in your household. I then got 'oh, the standard policy doesn't cover cars more than 15 years old, you need to take out an older car policy' (£74.99 rather than £59.99). Still cheaper than the AA or whatever and they were good the one time I needed to use them in the past, but not sure what would have happened if the renewal had gone through and then I'd broken down...

Yes, I had this at renewal, but they did back down and give me another year at the lower rate when I grumbled at them. Given the cover is for the human rather than the car, seems a bit rich.

Okay, I officially really hate this timing chain tensioner.  It's the gift that just keeps giving.

Having removed the alternator to get a socket on to remove it, I then discover that there are *two* bits you need to remove.  The second of which has a 17mm inverse hex head...so it's now back off to buy yet another damned tool for this job!

Yes, I did spend about half an hour rooting through the garage to see if I could find a bolt to use instead...but no luck.

22 hours ago, angle said:

Autoaid politely informed me that "

Following the feedback that we have received from our customers we have decided to offer you the option to renew your cover automatically. This will improve the process of renewing your cover, eliminate any potential risk of your cover accidently being overlooked and is to ensure that you have the continuous benefit of our award-winning breakdown service.

As a result, you will no longer need to call us or go online to renew your cover. We will contact you in good time to remind you of your renewal date."

So they weren't offering me an option, but actually helping themselves to my credit card although I had emphatically switched the autorenewal off when I took it out. They got sacked, (took some doing) and I used another - albeit a bit more expensive - provider. If you want a laugh, look at their Trustpilot reviews.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, I had this at renewal, but they did back down and give me another year at the lower rate when I grumbled at them. Given the cover is for the human rather than the car, seems a bit rich.

They phoned me aswell and said my renewal was to be £74.99 due to the age of my car.....

Its to cover me not the car might have been hasty to tell them to naff off.