The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, wuvvum said:

That actually sounds quite reasonable given the amount of work they've carried out.

Indeed. I'm more than happy it was done and the price is cheaper than I thought. It turns out all the spheres at the front were utterly shagged. He says the rears may need doing soon, fortunately they're easy to change. Once I get the invoice I'll detail what's been completed.

IMG_9180.thumb.jpeg.e1f0ed60fabcdd8e0f7b8e15bdd34123.jpeg

I saw this at lunchtime, and have thought about precious little else since.  The reflex is to mock it and knock it - there are four wheels and it's not actually a van.  That's fucking Comic Sans too which ought to be punishable by death. 

And yet - you must, surely, have bollocks the size of zeppelins to launch a van hire company with such a shit vehicle.  The sort of "DILLIGAF" levels which must come with being the CEO of this company are surely enviable.  

I've given it far too much thought already, and I just know this thing will revist it me in my dreams tonight.

This thing just won’t run and I don’t know where to start fixing the problem. It’s had loads of welding done but the interior is shit and it’s full of dents. My mojo is at a low with this. Time to focus on more pleasurable things? If it’s dragging you down, fuck it off-as someone famous possibly once said. 

D8849E05-8EE6-44B2-8312-A191968FE6A1.jpeg

Postman bought a nice parcel full of old press photos today. Most of it is from around 1910, and are pictures of coachbuilders, races, and garages. This one is particularly lovely I think, very typical of how many small garages seem to have looked like at the time. The counter at the left is full of popular accessories such as lanterns and a "speed-O-meter".

51566100148_307c60789c_h.jpg

18 hours ago, Lankytim said:

This thing just won’t run and I don’t know where to start fixing the problem. It’s had loads of welding done but the interior is shit and it’s full of dents. My mojo is at a low with this. Time to focus on more pleasurable things? If it’s dragging you down, fuck it off-as someone famous possibly once said. 

D8849E05-8EE6-44B2-8312-A191968FE6A1.jpeg

Fuel pump? It did start on what was in the carb and sounded ok until it ran out of fuel.

A right old result today, went to fill up the mercedes with fuel today (as the local Shell had some pez and no queues) and on my return to the car after paying, spotted this little gem on the ground

PXL_20211009_120109727.thumb.jpg.86ec31adf0e6f10d51a98f60ab73619e.jpg

Its only one of those 'magic fuel catalyst' tablets that contain PARTICLES that give you a million MPG and 400bhp boost because they used them in planes in WW2 or some sort of tosh. The ones endorsed by all the reprobates like Mike Brewer and Quentin Willson who tell you its the 'motoring industry's best kept secret' because VW would obviously much rather spend billions developing direct injection and turbocharging and software cheats and all sorts of old bollocks rather than just bunging a penny sized bit of flipping tin in the tank of every car they sold, right?

https://ftcdirect.com/

Dunno which one it is, but even the cheapest magic tablet is nearly £40 so thats a right old result. I'm going to put it into the mercedes this afternoon and watch as the tank fills itself from petrol condensing from fresh air and the old M111 donkey is transformed into a RR merlin V12 rivalling 2000hp beast.

For posterity, I'm currently getting 30mpg long term average over about 14k miles.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Checking out a camper my brother-in-law has been offered very cheaply.IMG_20211009_154845.thumb.jpg.080e5a3a7b52d40d7fd8aff47421fca2.jpg

2.5 IndenorIMG_20211009_154858.thumb.jpg.9875645b36e886476158b1e9a0de9181.jpg

And column change.IMG_20211009_155506.thumb.jpg.36897f1d0eaedd386308ec0707b03821.jpg

Indénor and column shift = maximum Whin.

As today is the first afternoon I've had no guests, visits or other arrangements I had a fiddle around with my stepdaughter's Mini.

The intermittent radio appears to be a badly fitted iPod kit connected into a mangle of Scotchlocked wires. Aftermarket shite removed and took the car for a spin and no cutting out. If it does do it again I have read up it's a bad component in part of the switching power supply in the amp, so hopefully I can repair that if needed. The central locking appears to have cured itself after madam used the key in the lock for the last however long since I updated the world. Apparently it helps with sticking actuators so I've sprayed a bit of lube in there and exercised it with the key a few times. Another spin round the block and whereas before when the anti-hijack kicked in and locked the doors it wouldn't open again. Taken a little slack out the internal handle cable and it's working. I did order some universal bowden cable nipples but no idea where they are, so when I find them I'll put a new end on the inner internal cable.

Grump is the n/s/f wheel bearing is grumbling, and along with new discs, a droplink and a CV joint I may have an afternoon or two of work to do before the MoT in November.

Looks like I have a slightly binding NSF brake. This wheel gets a little warmer after a long drive and has more brake dust than the others:

IMG_20211009_153041.thumb.jpg.51827024c6fb7da04c8298b31d49ebc3.jpg

Not terrible, but I will need to get that wheel off and inspect the caliper at some point. I'm waiting for a load of underseal supplies to turn up, so will probably kill two birds with one stone when I take the wheels off for that. 

Got all 4 cones changed on Cocopop, at last. George has had a mare of a job with it, as everything has been seized solid, and then the other week he had been in and out of the garage to deal with loonies running outta fuel.

20211009_070055.thumb.jpg.f99f8a340d096656b8231762263a8f95.jpg

the car is more like a monster truck instead of the low rider, that we were driving before hand.

car is booked in now for its MOT next week. the first time in more than 2 years

we have had the tracking done, now we have to run it for a bit, and then get the tracking done again when the suspension settles a bit.

I did something grown up today and went to a book fair with loads of other intellectual people who read books. 

I bought these. 

20211009_125638.thumb.jpg.b134736866794961561073e4e13759a2.jpg

In the first one I looked at I found this belter of a photo story with drama, romance, violence and top knotch shite content. 

20211009_131557.thumb.jpg.88356391ccaa4556eea20c838b815a56.jpg

20211009_131606.thumb.jpg.61444fdbca842a1594952f8c4db4d507.jpg

20211009_131811.thumb.jpg.6ba576043eeda4c70e3cef8e36daa366.jpg

I posted it on the Citroën car club Facebook page but none of the miserable bastards on there liked it except LankyTim. Maybe I should've said I found it in Just17 or something. 

3 hours ago, Crackers said:

Looks like I have a slightly binding NSF brake. This wheel gets a little warmer after a long drive and has more brake dust than the others:

IMG_20211009_153041.thumb.jpg.51827024c6fb7da04c8298b31d49ebc3.jpg

Not terrible, but I will need to get that wheel off and inspect the caliper at some point. I'm waiting for a load of underseal supplies to turn up, so will probably kill two birds with one stone when I take the wheels off for that. 

Could be the caliper or a failing flexi hose.

What am I looking at?

It is from a recent OCADO advert and it appears to be real and floats from a comment on FB by somebody who spotted it.

The real question I am asking is it some sort of amphibious car or was it a boat faked up to look like it may have wheels by the production company who made the Ad?

Ocado 01.jpg

Ocado 02.jpg

Ocado 03.jpg

Ocado 04.jpg

Ocado 05.jpg

Completely in a state of being over tired and not being able to sleep at 1am I decided randomly to have a go at a mock motorcycle theory test without ever having done any revision and managed 49/50.

I then proceeded to book my theory for 13th November.

Ive never ridden a motorcycle since having a moped at 16 and don’t know anything about bikes. 

You only live once! I’m going to do my direct access in the spring, might then replace the Discovery with a bike to see what the fuss is about.