The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

44 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

This is true, but having driven a Civic (albeit a manual one) I can safely say that it's not 20 times nicer than a Micra...

But there isn't really a 20 times difference in price between comparable age, spec and condition of each. 

46 minutes ago, SiC said:

But there isn't really a 20 times difference in price between comparable age, spec and condition of each. 

Having looked on eBay, you're right - for a tidy low mileage 2009 Micra with a reasonable spec you're looking at £1500 plus, and of course there are the odd chancers asking comedy money for them.  The point still remains though that £6K is an awful lot of money for a 12-year-old shopping car.

All the gear but none of the idea...
eb64d8d623108181e9aa250e62429dc8.jpg

Damn the black dog taking a bite when eBay have their 15% discounts on.

Took a lot of extra will power to not buy even more. Quite tempted with the right angle impacts, under bonnet lights, soldering irons and a small 1/4 inch ratchet. Maybe when the next eBay promo code comes up.

Mum's Mini has been WBACd. Sold for just under 5k - considering it was bought for £6000 in January '17, and has a fucking Prince engine, that's rather good. 

The folks are looking at a potential replacement tomorrow, can't go with them sadly. 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Having looked on eBay, you're right - for a tidy low mileage 2009 Micra with a reasonable spec you're looking at £1500 plus, and of course there are the odd chancers asking comedy money for them.  The point still remains though that £6K is an awful lot of money for a 12-year-old shopping car.

Hence my (unsuccessful so far) attempt to swap my Alfa for a more ordinary car on here, as trying to buy something else on the open market will be soul destroying.

Anything nasty to look out for on a 2006 Citroen C1 1.0 Rhythm please, going to c1 in a while!! 
Check the rear brake lines - they have a coating to stop then rusting that stops about an inch before the union in the rear wheel arch. This inch of unprotected line gets covered in all the shite coming off the wheels, and subsequently rusts! Pretty easy to replace though, and they are fantastic little cars to hoon about in!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, abelw44 said:

Check the rear brake lines - they have a coating to stop then rusting that stops about an inch before the union in the rear wheel arch. This inch of unprotected line gets covered in all the shite coming off the wheels, and subsequently rusts! Pretty easy to replace though, and they are fantastic little cars to hoon about in!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That could be the least of my worries, the owner seems to think it is nearly vgc... more like nearly fkd !!! 

23 hours ago, gm said:

So the sods who tried to nick my catalyst didn’t just chop through the centre pipe

33FE8345-B62A-4E7B-9215-3B6905387B14.thumb.jpeg.48423c80a700902f5667210dbd259fe9.jpeg

which I fixed* with a clamp

B41765DD-F233-4DE6-AB5D-EB3B4F32D37C.thumb.jpeg.9540d0cef65353050137d3d3b869ccc5.jpeg

but also sliced through the top of the catalyst end too

5285B13C-62FA-4A9B-A484-35A919D2ED90.thumb.jpeg.0c93d3c4fc010186190a2f4efa848cc9.jpeg

looks like I’ll be fitting a cheap eBay kit and selling this for scrap anyway now 

wanks

when did this happen?

Phoned the garage about the Audi.

Apart from the downpipe, none of the bits I supplied fit, even the gasket for the downpipe.

To be honest they've been great and tried really hard to get parts for me but apart from the gasket, nothing else is available. 

He did suggest a stainless system but he was a bit taken aback when I told him what I'd been quoted.

The middle section and downpipe are the bits that are blowing badly so we think that those bits can be replaced tk make it gas tight for now.

Hopefully something will turn up soon in the form of a proper replacement exhaust.

Just now, wuvvum said:

That actually sounds quite reasonable given the amount of work they've carried out.

Indeed. I'm more than happy it was done and the price is cheaper than I thought. It turns out all the spheres at the front were utterly shagged. He says the rears may need doing soon, fortunately they're easy to change. Once I get the invoice I'll detail what's been completed.

IMG_9180.thumb.jpeg.e1f0ed60fabcdd8e0f7b8e15bdd34123.jpeg

I saw this at lunchtime, and have thought about precious little else since.  The reflex is to mock it and knock it - there are four wheels and it's not actually a van.  That's fucking Comic Sans too which ought to be punishable by death. 

And yet - you must, surely, have bollocks the size of zeppelins to launch a van hire company with such a shit vehicle.  The sort of "DILLIGAF" levels which must come with being the CEO of this company are surely enviable.  

I've given it far too much thought already, and I just know this thing will revist it me in my dreams tonight.

This thing just won’t run and I don’t know where to start fixing the problem. It’s had loads of welding done but the interior is shit and it’s full of dents. My mojo is at a low with this. Time to focus on more pleasurable things? If it’s dragging you down, fuck it off-as someone famous possibly once said. 

D8849E05-8EE6-44B2-8312-A191968FE6A1.jpeg