The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 10/5/2021 at 12:29 AM, Popsicle said:

@JJ0063 It looks like you'll be doing double the hours for what, hopefully, an extra £250 a month, there are much better, safer class 2 jobs out there. I understand the urge to try something new, particularly something you've always fancied, but try it part time if its possible alongside your current job, then you'll not look back in the future thinking what if. But a recovery driver doing the hours you currently do in the insurance game would be classed as part-time. It really will be a shock to the system and this is no reflection on you, I did it for a bit years ago, only had an hours kip, tough luck, jobs are coming in, hoping to knock off in the next 10 minutes, tough luck this recovery needs driving 2 hours away, its a very hard way to make a living.

Yup.. I just sent off my notice email. These hours are crushing my mojo.  And I'm getting addicted to Gaviscon. 

Onward and upward... well, sideways anyway.

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

Yup.. I just sent off my notice email. These hours are crushing my mojo.  And I'm getting addicted to Gaviscon. 

Onward and upward... well, sideways anyway.

Good luck mate, I've always enjoyed reading your recovery tales in the other thread, but I'd much rather folk where happy. I've often found folk that do a lot of driving and irregular hours of work either have constipation or heartburn, I think its the unbalanced rhythm of the body clock. I sometimes have to get up for work at the same time I went to bed the previous day, its a really crap living some days/weeks. But I went self-employed years ago, yea the buck stops with me if theres nowt doing but I'm a much happier bunny most of the time.

Have you something lined up to do next or just sacked it off?

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That looks like an awful lot of money for a 2009 car, pretty as it is.  You could buy 20 of my similarly-aged Micra for the same amount.

Car prices don't make sense. The difference in value between identically specced Volvo S40/V50s of the same age is truly absurd. 

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Car prices don't make sense. The difference in value between identically specced Volvo S40/V50s of the same age is truly absurd. 

The complexities of how many exist compared to how many people want them, compared to what alternatives there are compared to fashion all conspire to convince you there is no logic.  However if you had all the data, you might be able to create a complex mathematical model. It woukd be wrong. 

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That looks like an awful lot of money for a 2009 car, pretty as it is.  You could buy 20 of my similarly-aged Micra for the same amount.

Prices on vehicles that age and newer are bonkers at the moment. The Mk9 (post spaceship) Civic has risen a good 25-50% and dragged the later mk8 with it. Estate Mk9 are even more harder to get hold of.

Annoying as I was considering replacing or buying a Mk9 in addition to our A4 this year. Because Bristol CAZ. However I'm not paying inflated prices and I'll have to wait to see what the market does.

Plus a Micra is nowhere near a nice car to drive, sit in and use compared to the Civic.

8 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Good luck mate, I've always enjoyed reading your recovery tales in the other thread, but I'd much rather folk where happy. I've often found folk that do a lot of driving and irregular hours of work either have constipation or heartburn, I think its the unbalanced rhythm of the body clock. I sometimes have to get up for work at the same time I went to bed the previous day, its a really crap living some days/weeks. But I went self-employed years ago, yea the buck stops with me if theres nowt doing but I'm a much happier bunny most of the time.

Have you something lined up to do next or just sacked it off?

I still love the job, but it's always push,push,push.  The whole industry is the same. I'm off to be a mobile towbar fitter for a large company, working remotely. It sounds like a good number. I've kinda given up on the idea of being a truck driver.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, BorniteIdentity said:

I'm not sure I ever built myself into a trap, or became dependent on the salary.  One thing I did learn though is - no matter HOW much you earn - you will  spend it.  You just grow into it.  I've been doing this job for 18 years now and earn a decent amount of money (without being either vulgar or vague I am a higher rate tax payer) and I've never felt richer than when I was 20 years old, earning £18k a year.

It sounds like you can't really lose @JJ0063- just make sure you don't die wondering.

I am not sure how old you are but let's say you were earning £18k per annum in 1999, that would be worth over £30k today. I bet you felt rich.

44 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

This is true, but having driven a Civic (albeit a manual one) I can safely say that it's not 20 times nicer than a Micra...

But there isn't really a 20 times difference in price between comparable age, spec and condition of each. 

46 minutes ago, SiC said:

But there isn't really a 20 times difference in price between comparable age, spec and condition of each. 

Having looked on eBay, you're right - for a tidy low mileage 2009 Micra with a reasonable spec you're looking at £1500 plus, and of course there are the odd chancers asking comedy money for them.  The point still remains though that £6K is an awful lot of money for a 12-year-old shopping car.

All the gear but none of the idea...
eb64d8d623108181e9aa250e62429dc8.jpg

Damn the black dog taking a bite when eBay have their 15% discounts on.

Took a lot of extra will power to not buy even more. Quite tempted with the right angle impacts, under bonnet lights, soldering irons and a small 1/4 inch ratchet. Maybe when the next eBay promo code comes up.

Mum's Mini has been WBACd. Sold for just under 5k - considering it was bought for £6000 in January '17, and has a fucking Prince engine, that's rather good. 

The folks are looking at a potential replacement tomorrow, can't go with them sadly. 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Having looked on eBay, you're right - for a tidy low mileage 2009 Micra with a reasonable spec you're looking at £1500 plus, and of course there are the odd chancers asking comedy money for them.  The point still remains though that £6K is an awful lot of money for a 12-year-old shopping car.

Hence my (unsuccessful so far) attempt to swap my Alfa for a more ordinary car on here, as trying to buy something else on the open market will be soul destroying.

Anything nasty to look out for on a 2006 Citroen C1 1.0 Rhythm please, going to c1 in a while!! 
Check the rear brake lines - they have a coating to stop then rusting that stops about an inch before the union in the rear wheel arch. This inch of unprotected line gets covered in all the shite coming off the wheels, and subsequently rusts! Pretty easy to replace though, and they are fantastic little cars to hoon about in!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, abelw44 said:

Check the rear brake lines - they have a coating to stop then rusting that stops about an inch before the union in the rear wheel arch. This inch of unprotected line gets covered in all the shite coming off the wheels, and subsequently rusts! Pretty easy to replace though, and they are fantastic little cars to hoon about in!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That could be the least of my worries, the owner seems to think it is nearly vgc... more like nearly fkd !!! 

23 hours ago, gm said:

So the sods who tried to nick my catalyst didn’t just chop through the centre pipe

33FE8345-B62A-4E7B-9215-3B6905387B14.thumb.jpeg.48423c80a700902f5667210dbd259fe9.jpeg

which I fixed* with a clamp

B41765DD-F233-4DE6-AB5D-EB3B4F32D37C.thumb.jpeg.9540d0cef65353050137d3d3b869ccc5.jpeg

but also sliced through the top of the catalyst end too

5285B13C-62FA-4A9B-A484-35A919D2ED90.thumb.jpeg.0c93d3c4fc010186190a2f4efa848cc9.jpeg

looks like I’ll be fitting a cheap eBay kit and selling this for scrap anyway now 

wanks

when did this happen?

Phoned the garage about the Audi.

Apart from the downpipe, none of the bits I supplied fit, even the gasket for the downpipe.

To be honest they've been great and tried really hard to get parts for me but apart from the gasket, nothing else is available. 

He did suggest a stainless system but he was a bit taken aback when I told him what I'd been quoted.

The middle section and downpipe are the bits that are blowing badly so we think that those bits can be replaced tk make it gas tight for now.

Hopefully something will turn up soon in the form of a proper replacement exhaust.