The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Autoglass, I’m very once bitten twice shy as they were an awful company

Are they a company or a franchise? I've used Mr. Windscreen, their main competitor in Ireland, and I'm sure they are. To be honest, one of their outlets gave off a bit of a criminal vibe.

8 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Are they a company or a franchise? I've used Mr. Windscreen, their main competitor in Ireland, and I'm sure they are. To be honest, one of their outlets gave off a bit of a criminal vibe.

They’re a company, the parent company is Belron and they own Autoglass and a supplier called Laddaw. 

If I’d have been trained properly I would still be there now. Brand new van, 8k worth of brand new tools and equipment on the first day etc. I thought I’d fallen on my feet. 

Training was 2 weeks in Birmingham at a proper AG training school.. after that it went down hill. Was ‘buddied’ with a bloke who would just do all the jobs himself and tell me to watch just so he could get home quicker. 

when I was sent out on my own I was assured I’d get simple jobs ie. Fiestas, corsas - basic stuff with no sensors, cameras etc

One of my first jobs on my own was a 6 week old Evoque with about every sensor, heating element, lane departure camera you could imagine. I had no training for this other than a black and white drawing on a PDF to use as reference.

After 3 months of being on my own I jacked it in as I was sick of having to guess how to do things and potentially putting customers at risk if these sensors weren’t calibrated or whatnot. Asked for help and the promises never materialised!

14 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I might look into something like the 8 wheel tippers doing aggregate or something like that where it’s still local and more set hours. I live near a couple of quarry’s so might be worth a look.

Sorry, couldn't read that without thinking about this. 

hell-drivers-1957-dvd-network-british-film-2017.thumb.jpg.4b6ea3c5d4a0b8b18bd3a7bb76b594d6.jpg

Hell-Drivers-002-1024x538.thumb.jpg.28abab36543c8edbdec0781f4158fa6e.jpg

If you get a job on the tippers you must dress like this. 

38564224_ScreenShot2020-09-10at5_02_15AM.thumb.jpeg.4c8afb228eb02c753ea7b5cb949cb4b4.jpeg

1216155098_hell-drivers-1957-two-men-facing-00n-obo-1000x750(1).thumb.jpg.afb9c852a4de432808f6007736536661.jpg

Lately my mum's been privy to me and her going halves on a car we both like, like a Metro, Civic or something. 
I brought up a potential candidate today and she said that the old man had found something wrong with her Bini (which recently had a new timing chain and guides, because Prince). It's a high spec car (Cooper S with plush leather seats, sunroof, cruise etc) and my mum was hoping to keep it for a long time - she bought it almost five years ago, trading up from a basic Cooper. 
On my way out to (what's left of) NORTHERN POWERHOUSE, dad was watching a youtube video on piston slap - something that the Prince engine does for fun. 

It sounds like it's fucked, and my mum is starting to doubt the car but is reluctant to part with it as it's everything she wants. However my dad's health is starting to deteriorate, and maintenance is increasingly falling to me - I think I need to set her up with something hewn from granite that I'll be able to maintain when my dad inevitably can't any more. The Mini is an arse to work on, and I hate stuff with too many computers/diagnostics. I need to work out what I might be able to get her into happily - I have a few ideas but need to think more. 

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Lately my mum's been privy to me and her going halves on a car we both like, like a Metro, Civic or something. 
I brought up a potential candidate today and she said that the old man had found something wrong with her Bini (which recently had a new timing chain and guides, because Prince). It's a high spec car (Cooper S with plush leather seats, sunroof, cruise etc) and my mum was hoping to keep it for a long time - she bought it almost five years ago, trading up from a basic Cooper. 
On my way out to (what's left of) NORTHERN POWERHOUSE, dad was watching a youtube video on piston slap - something that the Prince engine does for fun. 

It sounds like it's fucked, and my mum is starting to doubt the car but is reluctant to part with it as it's everything she wants. However my dad's health is starting to deteriorate, and maintenance is increasingly falling to me - I think I need to set her up with something hewn from granite that I'll be able to maintain when my dad inevitably can't any more. The Mini is an arse to work on, and I hate stuff with too many computers/diagnostics. I need to work out what I might be able to get her into happily - I have a few ideas but need to think more. 

Surely you just get a Yaris or Auris or a Jazz and be done with it, they simply don't require maintenance other than servicing annually, they are perfect 'Mum' cars.

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Sounds like you need the “normal option”. Whenever I find myself faced with something like this I ask myself “what do normal people do” - ie those who don’t think running a 30 year old daily is a good idea. The answer is nearly always 

A- PCP a modern with maintenance thrown in. 

2- Give broken car to garage for repair.

D- Use public transport.

and it’s really no more complicated than that. 99% of the population manage in this fashion. You COULD get a Jazz/Corolla/ etc but faced with the option of £99pcm for a Sandero or whatever I reckon I’d just do that and spend my time worrying about my partner, rather than whether the car’s gonna soil itself. 

Good luck champ. 

On 9/20/2021 at 12:11 PM, Aston Martin said:

An interesting one, at work they've taken half the car park and are building a new part of the factory.

Now, one of our drivers collars me the other day. "Is your car covered in overspray?" 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Turns out it is, a fine grey like aerosol mist.  (Not sure if it's paint, or a sealant type deal.) I told my boss my number plate and now the insurance agent rang to discuss, a claim or some such shite.

However, the car paint is already fucked and has a maingy roof and lacquer peel.

So... She rang me two weeks ago. "I'm from some insurance company, send me your email"

Cool beans, here you go. Heard nothing back, so I text last week. "Hey, I've had no email" Heard nothing. Haven't even opened my texts.

My lot have just rung. "Have they contacted you?" I explained, yes but also no.

The other driver who was whinging the most, reckons he's getting a respray.

There is no fucking way, they'll respray mine. 🤔

14 minutes ago, gm said:

I have that little button, I thought it was for heated mirrors (that don't work) more investigation required

From memory the pre facelift mk2s used that button for heated mirrors.

On post facelift, heated mirrors were combined with rear window heater.

It appears to be deadlocking itself as well - otherwise it'd unlock when you pull on the interior door handle.

If you don't fancy tracing the wiring and trying to work out where it's gone French, what I would have done had I kept the car is to run a separate 12v supply into the door, install a couple of discreet push-button switches somewhere in the door trim and connect them to the lock and unlock wires (the two yellow wires running to the door lock unit) to give "manual" locking, like in the good old days when cars had a proper lock button.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It appears to be deadlocking itself as well - otherwise it'd unlock when you pull on the interior door handle.

If you don't fancy tracing the wiring and trying to work out where it's gone French, what I would have done had I kept the car is to run a separate 12v supply into the door, install a couple of discreet push-button switches somewhere in the door trim and connect them to the lock and unlock wires (the two yellow wires running to the door lock unit) to give "manual" locking, like in the good old days when cars had a proper lock button.

That was the plan I had as well. Did you leave a bit of red wire connected to the back of the fag lighter socket? That came in very useful for poking at various bits of Electronique Francaise. Incidentally it was one of the yellow wires which wasn't getting the pulse. I didn't check the connector in the door as my multimeter ran out of juice and I cannot find my 12v probes anywhere. I may pull the shunt out the ECU as well, as this sometimes resets the bizarre behaviour (wipers going off at random etc).

Local tame mechanic says the wiring running between the A-pillar and door is common point on these, so that may be getting some attention. Trouble is my car tinkering time is not at a premium at the moment.

19 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And then I put together a new conveyor belt for firewood. Forgot picture of it was of the finest chinesium and looked like it was built by a drunk 5 year old. Lifetime of this will be exciting.

The best thing about this conveyor is that it came with a transport crib of metal. If I were to buy all this, it would be expensive so it was a nice surprise. So I cut it up today and will get a lot of use for this.

20211006_104959.thumb.jpg.0b32962f6c0a0bf967dbf488074e7eb8.jpg

20211006_110207.thumb.jpg.1ce2faeb7eea06a511d212c232dc3260.jpg