The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 01/10/2021 at 22:16, JJ0063 said:

I seem to be broken. Last couple of days whenever I drive I go very, very dizzy and it lasts for an hour or two after I’m out of the car too.

No idea why it’s happening and it’s pissing me off.

I get like that from time to time and have been diagnosed with BPPV - benign positional paroxysmal vertigo. If I look at a certain angle my eyes flicker very rapidly (nystagmus)

If any of this is familiar Please get checked before you have a crash.

Just now, dozeydustman said:

I get like that from time to time and have been diagnosed with BPPV - benign positional paroxysmal vertigo. If I look at a certain angle my eyes flicker very rapidly (nystagmus)

If any of this is familiar Please get checked before you have a crash.

I’ve not had any of they luckily and it seems to have passed.. fingers crossed! 

New car boughted!

No collection, the AS fairy, namely a Welsh shitter from over in the North West came and delivered it. 

20211003_123532.thumb.jpg.16864c7988c2cda788e3f60375d7d0e4.jpg

20211003_142239.thumb.jpg.e90c6489679eeec80ae7bd9292bee991.jpg

yes, we now have two Mondeos, I'm asking what my life has come to to end up with his'n'hers Mondeo mk4s.

However, being the 2.0 TDCi when the dpf, dmf, injectors and boost control work they are really quite good.

The B5.5 Passat the new Mondstrosity is intending to replace its going to be hard to give up, it will be missed, but I got offered a deal I could barely turn down so the Passat will find a loving home elsewhere. 

The forward acceleration feels lazy but competent as compared to the pisshat, which is remapped to some crazy power and response at low revs. However the Mondeo brakes better, drives the twisties very very well and the seats are comfortable, which is becoming important for me more and more. 

And it's bigger, Mini CF the elder can do forward rolls in the boot. 

I'm told the DMF was recently replaced so if I were to get it remapped...

No, I'll see if I can forget the Pisshat's brutal acceleration and how much fun that is. 

Just had my class 2 breakdown recovery interview. Seemed to go well. 

I need to sit down and fully understand the money as the basic hourly rate is terrible but it’s then built up with driving time, call out charges, out of area charges, complex recovery charges etc. He said the long and short of it is the minimum any of their drivers earn is 27k which although is poor for HGV, it’s still a few grand more than I earn now and for a brand new driver it’s at least a foot into the industry. 

Should hear in a couple of days if I’ve been successful.

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Just had my class 2 breakdown recovery interview. Seemed to go well. 

I need to sit down and fully understand the money as the basic hourly rate is terrible but it’s then built up with driving time, call out charges, out of area charges, complex recovery charges etc. He said the long and short of it is the minimum any of their drivers earn is 27k which although is poor for HGV, it’s still a few grand more than I earn now and for a brand new driver it’s at least a foot into the industry. 

Should hear in a couple of days if I’ve been successful.

Good luck! 

It does sound like fun. 

benign positional paroxysmal vertigo.

thats interesting ,    on Saturday in the shops I nearly went again , not done it for a while , one second I am walking past this woman , the next , I nearly fell over .

Last time was in Iceland ( shop )  , one woman thought I was going over !!!!!

its happened a few times over the last few years , it sort of restricts my use of ladders and going to high places .

have discussed this issue with Dr's but it has got now where since the covid/cancer issues over the last year , they have rotated my head , scanned it , poked it and not had a clue whats happening in it ..  and sent me on my way ..

11 minutes ago, MikeR said:

benign positional paroxysmal vertigo.

thats interesting ,    on Saturday in the shops I nearly went again , not done it for a while , one second I am walking past this woman , the next , I nearly fell over .

Last time was in Iceland ( shop )  , one woman thought I was going over !!!!!

its happened a few times over the last few years , it sort of restricts my use of ladders and going to high places .

have discussed this issue with Dr's but it has got now where since the covid/cancer issues over the last year , they have rotated my head , scanned it , poked it and not had a clue whats happening in it ..  and sent me on my way ..

It’s normally caused by a small amount of the liquid in the inner ear forming a crystal and interfering with the tiny hairs on the inside of the balance loops (labyrinth). Video below explains it. Quite often the result of an inner or middle ear infection.

For me, looking up and to the left gives me the wobbles, worse if I’m dehydrated or I move my head sharply. Everyone is different and if it’s persistent you will need to see your GP and declare to DVLA. Sometimes just the epley manoeuvre once will stop if for years between attack.

EDIT: the manoeuvre may make you nauseous or chunder (if really bad)

Car shuffling, I want to get the 145 into the garage before winter sets in, unfortunately this means evicting the Visa and leaving it out in the elements. I haven’t really made much progress on either this year, not as much as I’d like anyway. The Volvo is a really tight squeeze in the garage and it’s pretty hard work getting it in and out without damage, the idea of using it as a summer daily and garaging it overnight sounds like just too much work, I’m pretty bummed out by it all and I’m wondering again why I restrict my life so much with these crunchy old motors. The Visa still has a mystery fault meaning it doesn’t run and some pretty large welding bills are looming for the Volvo, although the steering and brakes are now sorted. 

I’m sure it’s all feels very familiar for many shiters here. 

C8DADA04-80BF-4EC8-9B98-3CB04CA5EF3B.jpeg

9F6DF7C5-C3FC-4066-A978-8517642FC52D.jpeg

2D887143-EFA3-4FF6-BE0E-19A7B99BDA64.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I’m sure it’s all feels very familiar for many shiters here. 

Indeed.  I have three cars which really should be spending the winter under cover (Renault 6, Innocenti, Volvo 164) and only one garage.  I might have to step up the efforts to sell the 164 - I may even brave eBay.  I'm beginning to regret selling the Ducato van so hastily as the Innocenti would have fitted in the back of that and the VED on the van was a lot less than the rent on a second garage (assuming I can even find one).

8 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:

I'm not actually sure. I've not looked at it since Friday but I'll check what size they are. 

I hope so! I think my initial plans are to have a quick gander at just how rotten it is underneath and like you say give it a last hurrah at Knockhill. It's tested until December anyway.

Look like Mazda 2 Sport wheels to me? 

If you split, gies a shout. Bigger brakes, 6 speed and a decent hood are on my watch list 👍.

Jalousie replaced, shifter light fixed so I can see what's selected in the dark, fasten seat belt sign fixed, crap hoovered out from under gear surround, all the leather in reach of the driver's seat cleaned, t3 bulbs ordered to fix unlit switches that should be lit and 264 bulbs ordered for footwell lights. Service kit arrived. 

Several steps forward with the saab....only flies in today's ointment are that I discoverd both outside rear light clusters leak in the rain and the heated seat switch retaining lugs are very very brittle

2 hours ago, Gerrymcd said:

Look like Mazda 2 Sport wheels to me? 

If you split, gies a shout. Bigger brakes, 6 speed and a decent hood are on my watch list 👍.

I had a 1.8 S five speed and a 1.8 Sport six speed NB, I preferred the five speed box. I felt the sixth gear had been tacked on and messed up the rest of the nicely placed gears of the five speed. 

Ask [mention=17470]Stinkwheel[/mention] about me and our mate Martin passing him with a high-speed Dyane convoy on the way back from the 2CV world meeting in Scotland...
I'll get back to you about the 720 when it's done.
Well, that’s a story isn’t it. On that day, I was indicating 75mph approx in my then 2CV, 3 up and towing a 70’s french trailer tent. I was pleased with that speed - then Dave and Martin passed, 10mph faster, easily. Bastards (love ya Dave) 

I’m having massive second thoughts tonight even before even being offered a job. 

My current job:

Work from home, 35hrs mon to Friday or 30hrs if I work a 9-12 on a Sat morning (meaning 27hrs in the week)

Doing insurance quotes on the phone, 30 days hol plus bank holidays, full flexi time so as long as I do my hours in the week I can work whenever I want between 9-7

Been there 10 years, will be getting a pay rise next month so will be on approx 24k. It’s a very, very mundane job but it’s easy. 

I took my Class 2 because I’ve always fancied a driving job, specifically recovery.

Had the interview today and the long and short of it is:

6 on 3 off, 13 or 15hr days, 24hr call out - shift starts at first call out from midnight so an example is:

PDA goes to available at midnight, first call out comes in at 6am, I’m then working for those 13 or 15hrs. Tacho hours don’t apply if I stay within the 60 mile radius. 

OTE as a new driver 27-30k

Now I’ve sat down with the mrs and talked it over, im wondering what on earth im doing. It sounds like il be absolutely knackered and always at work. I know I’ve got it good at the moment with work life balance but it’s a very fine line between doing a job that bores me to death or move into a job I will love but not what comes with it. 

WTF do I do?!

Seems shit to me mate, how can you relax for 6 days if you don't know when you will be called? How can you get any quality sleep when you are expecting a call at any time?

But if it's something you have wanted to do, you must do something that gives you some satisfaction. Personally I wouldn't do those kind of conditions.

10 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m having massive second thoughts tonight even before even being offered a job. 

My current job:

WFH, 35hrs mon to Friday or 30hrs if I work a 9-12 on a Sat morning (meaning 27hrs in the week)

Doing insurance quotes on the phone, 30 days hol plus bank holidays, full flexi time so as long as I do my hours in the week.

Been there 10 years, will be getting a pay rise next month so will be on approx 24k. It’s a very, very mundane job but it’s easy. 

I took my Class 2 because I’ve always fancied a driving job, specifically recovery.

6 on 3 off, 13 or 15hr days, 24hr call out - shift starts at first call out from midnight so an example is:

PDA goes to available at midnight, first call out comes in at 6am, I’m then working for those 13 or 15hrs. Tacho hours don’t apply if I stay within the 60 mile radius. 

Now I’ve sat down with the mrs and talked it over, im wondering what on earth im doing. It sounds like il be absolutely knackered and always at work. I know I’ve got it good at the moment with work life balance but it’s a very fine line between doing a job that bores me to death or move into a job I will love but not what comes with it. 

WTF do I do?!

I wouldn't, I've been a recovery driver, the hours are antisocial and shit, you get home sit down to have your dinner and you get a call to the other side of the country, this happens at least every other day, plus the way you get paid is dependent on how much the company want to fuck you over, its a difficult job and driving is only a small part of it, its also fucking dangerous at times, nothing like hearing something on the rumble strips whilst trying to load a vehicle with a family with children and animals on the hard shoulder, there is no way I'd be changing in your position.

5 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

It sounds like il be absolutely knackered and always at work. I know I’ve got it good at the moment with work life balance but it’s a very fine line between doing a job that bores me to death or move into a job I will love but not what comes with it. 

I don't know anything about your background or work history, obvs, but from personal experience working on/with motors full-time is very different from being a hobbyist.   It can be interesting, but it stops being fun.  And the work gets harder and more unpleasant as you get older.  Not many people seem to realise this.  I'd stay as you are TBH. 

19 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

My current job:

Work from home, 35hrs mon to Friday or 30hrs if I work a 9-12 on a Sat morning (meaning 27hrs in the week)

Doing insurance quotes on the phone, 30 days hol plus bank holidays, full flexi time so as long as I do my hours in the week I can work whenever I want between 9-7

OTE as a new driver 27-30k

WTF do I do?!

I’d stick where you are tbh,  recovery is a crappy job and from what I’ve been told most employers screw you over. Most drivers only stick it for a few months. 

30 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

WTF do I do?!

Shit just got real.

Personally I did very similar, left UK insurance at Doncaster to do class 2.

I'd try and work the odd day around your current work.

See if you can maybe do 3 days a week of your current job and leave availability for a bit of agency work.

Doing 15 hour days will be a shock that's for sure. That's not the hard part though. It's having 9 hours off then doing it all again the next day.

You'll see very very quickly why there is a massive shortage.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, stuboy said:

better the devil you know?

That is the thing. I have been with the company I’m with so long that it’s just life now, however much I’m not an office person. 

The problem I’ve got is also that I’ve already left once and gone back so I know I can’t do it again.. I left to work at Autoglass about 5 years ago, lasted 4 months then went back. 

So I’m also once bitten twice shy!