The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I simply can not get fuel. My son’s birthday today and a day out necessitates the use of the Caravelle. 1/4 tank - no worries. On the way home I start to look for options, casually like so as not to cause concern, and nothing. Every fuel station I passed from MK to St Neots had no diesel. And I mean - not one. Tonight I dropped my son at his mates and thought I’d go on the prowl, there is none. I tried 7 stations around Cambridge and in Cambridge - I repeat: there is none. I called my friend who is a DI at Cambridge Constabulary. “any intel?”. “There is none”.

It backs up this story on BBC a news (OMG MSM RIGHT WING LEFT WING ETC Blah) 

Petrol deliveries: Supply remains critical in south-east England, say retailers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/58772169

People will say on here that the media are fuelling this (pun intended). They are not. There is very very little fuel and none of it easily accessible.

Please. For the love of fucking Christ, buy what you need. Tell your family to buy what they need. Post on your Facebook telling people to buy what they need. But the only way out of this, right now, is if people take a bit of fucking responsibility. I wanted to stick in just £20 so I could take a load of my sons mates to football tomorrow rather than 6 cars doing a 60 mile round trip. I couldn’t do that. Yet, my need is trivial. 

Mark my words, we are on the edge of fucking disaster. Not Brexit. Not MSM. Not Ir35. Because people are thick. They’re selfish, they’re worried (understandably) and they’re thick. 

I appreciate my mood has changed from my last post on the topic; I had hoped people would have come to their senses by now. But it’s a problem being driven by people. Not supply (there was no issue until that leaked Memo) not government not anything. People. 

I hope this clears up before December because I'm working through that month. I don't particularly fancy being stranded at home because there's no petrol.

39 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I simply can not get fuel. My son’s birthday today and a day out necessitates the use of the Caravelle. 1/4 tank - no worries. On the way home I start to look for options, casually like so as not to cause concern, and nothing. Every fuel station I passed from MK to St Neots had no diesel. And I mean - not one. Tonight I dropped my son at his mates and thought I’d go on the prowl, there is none. I tried 7 stations around Cambridge and in Cambridge - I repeat: there is none. I called my friend who is a DI at Cambridge Constabulary. “any intel?”. “There is none”.

Petrol deliveries: Supply remains critical in south-east England, say retailers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/58772169

People will say on here that the media are fuelling this (pun intended). They are not. There is very very little fuel and none of it easily accessible.

Please. For the love of fucking Christ, buy what you need. Tell your family to buy what they need. Post on your Facebook telling people to buy what they need. But the only way out of this, right now, is if people take a bit of fucking responsibility. I wanted to stick in just £20 so I could take a load of my sons mates to football tomorrow rather than 6 cars doing a 60 mile round trip. I couldn’t do that. Yet, my need is trivial. 

Mark my words, we are on the edge of fucking disaster. Not Brexit. Not MSM. Not Ir35. Because people are thick. They’re selfish, they’re worried (understandably) and they’re thick. 

I appreciate my mood has changed from my last post on the topic; I had hoped people would have come to their senses by now. But it’s a problem being driven by people. Not supply (there was no issue until that leaked Memo) not government not anything. People. 

Caravelle will run on veg.  #justsaying.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Caravelle will run on veg.  #justsaying.

Not advised on the 2.5 from what I gather. You have to cut it with petrol or derv if you’re brave enough, and I can’t get that either. I’d rather run it on cherry pop or kerosene! In reality we’ll just sit and patiently wait whilst everyone hoards it in their milk bottles, bidets and fannies. 

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

How much diesel is left in the Caravelle?  I read it that you had 1/4 tank but that may have been before you departed?  You should be OK on 50/50 veg/derv.

A gallon probably. Maybe a bit more - it’s a huge tank. I really only wanted £20 to knock the light off and enable me to use it tomorrow and help others save their own fuel. Meh. 

57 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

.... I called my friend who is a DI at Cambridge Constabulary. “any intel?”. “There is none”.

One might say the same about The Met and a few other constabularies.

... it’s a problem being driven by people. Not supply (there was no issue until that leaked Memo) not government not anything. People. 

I happened to watch that fateful BBC interview with Grant Shapps on Friday last, and many of us knew as soon as he said there was no problem with fuel that there would be panic-buying, simply because people don't believe anything politicians say anymore. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy and by that Friday night there was no fuel of any kind to be had down here.

Last night I came back from the stables to see an unmarked fuel tanker being followed by a small number of cars on the southbound M1 from Jcn.6, whilst almost everyone else was driving really slowly.

I expect at least another week of this before we get back to something resembling sanity.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:42 AM, mitsisigma01 said:

Can you please ask them to justify the £422 per year they charged to a 76 year old man for his car recovery!!!! New member maybe...

No, 56 fkin years and they would still be skinning him now. Exploiting the elderly.... He didn't even drive for the last four years!!! 😠😠😠😠

Anyone know the email address of the bloke who does all the AA tv interviews 😠😠😠

Turns out he was 82 when last turned over for £422.... a bargain really because the previous year it was £426....😠😠😠😠

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I do not blame the government. The politicians. The media.

The great British public own this one.

Had to run a couple of errands here today.  Zero fuel at any of the stations I passed.  I'd kind of expected this to have sorted itself out by now.

I'm quite likely going to need to make a run up north at short notice soon as the father of a very good friend passed away a couple of days ago.  Having to miss the funeral "because I can't get fuel" would feel awful.

Dang all this talk of mk being out of fuel, I'm going to my dad's next weekend, was hoping to find some between Aylesbury and Peterborough! 

Dad said he got some fine the other day by him so that's a plan I guess. 

Equally I've not gone into the office on purpose to save fuel for the trip just in case. Got to go in next week though at least once, and I'm not stopping for a topup at over 3/4 a tank... 

Filled up the BGT earlier. Nearest petrol station that no one ever uses was out. Next nearest is Esso and out too. These are the next village along and on a main road so unsurprising.

In the nearest town the Esso only had diesel and E10 petrol. The Tesco had premium and super unleaded but no diesel! 

I always wonder how people are supposed to fill up a BGT. The filler is right down low on the bumper and the auto cutoff never works properly. So I end up crouching at the rear end with the nozzle half in as I watch it fill up. Once I see petrol at the top of the filler neck I know it's full. 

Must be an easier way of doing it. I find the auto stop doesn't stop on it, so I have to watch. 

Olly the orange car needs new boots. I thought I'd buy another set of winter tyres to stop me bogging down occasionally on the odd camping field. There is no choice left anymore! Places like tyreleader have some Hankook iCept's in 185X14 with a gorgeous tread pattern, but they're away on the continent & are likely to drop off my tyres with a huge extra bill. Where do folk buy their's from now Britain has become global?