The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I’m thinking the world’s gone mad, but I think reality sailed away a long time ago.

B11BA267-F726-46C0-88DC-93BF0F7DC39C.png

it would be interesting to know what an MGB in such condition would fetch this day and age like that if there are any left? (I know a few where put away at the end of production as investments but then eventually registered because that idea was foiled by the fact they made so many of them, but then again they made a load of 2CV's as well!)

also "real time machine" that would be very useful/handy might struggle to hit 88Mph however I think! although saying that I know @dollywobbler got 80 something out of Elly on the Autobahn!

(I wonder what the fastest someones got a 2CV with its Flat twin engine...)

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

it would be interesting to know what an MGB in such condition would fetch this day and age like that if there are any left? (I know a few where put away at the end of production as investments but then eventually registered because that idea was foiled by the fact they made so many of them, but then again they made a load of 2CV's as well!)

also "real time machine" that would be very useful/handy might struggle to hit 88Mph however I think! although saying that I know @dollywobbler got 80 something out of Elly on the Autobahn!

(I wonder what the fastest someones got a 2CV with its Flat twin engine...)

I had 80 on the GPs with the standard 602 cc engine. As the saying goes, nothing left on the clock but the maker’s name. 

It doesn’t smell in the car and it passed it’s MOT a week ago so I hope not! Happened tonight even after a 5 minute drive to McDonald’s. Feels like motion dizziness.

I remember feeling like it once years ago when I’d first driven an automatic.. my current car is auto but I’ve obviously driven that thousands of miles without feeling like it!

it’s also a diesel so AFAIK very slim chance from one of those? 

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

It doesn’t smell in the car and it passed it’s MOT a week ago so I hope not! Happened tonight even after a 5 minute drive to McDonald’s. Feels like motion dizziness.

I remember feeling like it once years ago when I’d first driven an automatic.. my current car is auto but I’ve obviously driven that thousands of miles without feeling like it!

Try borrowing another car for a spin around the block? See if it happens then

4 minutes ago, N19 said:

Try borrowing another car for a spin around the block? See if it happens then

I should be collecting a winter hack tomorrow and will have to drive an hour and a half home so will soon find out (it’s a manual too)

I also haven’t driven in the dark for bloody ages and it’s been dark both times so I wonder if it could even be something as simple as that.

28 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I should be collecting a winter hack tomorrow and will have to drive an hour and a half home so will soon find out (it’s a manual too)

I also haven’t driven in the dark for bloody ages and it’s been dark both times so I wonder if it could even be something as simple as that.

Have you had your eyes tested recently? 

9 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Thinking about the dark I haven't too... Maybe 10 times in fuck nearly/over a year... I used to like driving at night, fills me with dread now

Would be leaving home in the dark and returning in the dark in normal times at this time of year 😢

I don't mind the dark, it's modern bright headlights that get me.

3 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

I don't mind the dark, it's modern bright headlights that get me.

I might* have said this before, but it's people sitting in queues with their foot on the brakes that pisses me off about driving in the dark.

17 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I might* have said this before, but it's people sitting in queues with their foot on the brakes that pisses me off about driving in the dark.

The current company car one of my housemates has is an Audi Q5.  One of the fancy features it has as part of the adaptive cruise control is the ability to handle everything aside from steering when you're in a stop/start queue.  I'd absolutely never use it myself as it waits *waaaaaaaay* too late to stop for my liking.

I noted though that whenever you come to a halt, despite kicking the gearbox into neutral it keeps the brake lights on until you start moving again.  So I imagine that's true of all current VAG stuff using a similar system.

14 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Thinking about the dark I haven't too... Maybe 10 times in fuck nearly/over a year... I used to like driving at night, fills me with dread now

Would be leaving home in the dark and returning in the dark in normal times at this time of year 😢

My favourite thing used to be driving home from work, not only because it meant I was finally going home, but because it was dark and there was nobody else out driving. It would take me 3/4 of the time to drive the 10 miles compared to the way in.

At the moment driving in the dark is a pain because the inside of my windscreen is filthy from the car sitting in the unit last year and I always forget before the next time I need to drive in the dark so haven't bought glass cleaner yet.

12 minutes ago, reb said:

I used to use Osram Nightbreakers and similar, I still do in the high beams, but in the dip beams now I use yellow bulbs. Properly adjusted they're much easier on the eye than bright white/blue bulbs. All headlights should be some shade of yellow.

I had French spec yellow H4 caps in my 205 - they were sodding useless. On the flipside my mate tinted the headlight lenses on his Berlingo yellow and they work ridiculously well... 

'normal' warm white/yellow bulbs are GR9 though. 

20200620_175626.jpg

It takes a bit of getting used to, they appear dimmer than bluish white light, but they align better with the wavelengths of light our eyes see best in dark conditions so you can actually see better. Of course the yellow bulbs are all Finest Chinesium so quality can vary a lot, it's quite likely your ones were just a bit shit whether they were yellow or not. I've never used yellow H4s so it might just be a thing with them. I'll buy some for the 205 and report back.

1 hour ago, reb said:

My favourite thing used to be driving home from work, not only because it meant I was finally going home, but because it was dark and there was nobody else out driving. It would take me 3/4 of the time to drive the 10 miles compared to the way in.

At the moment driving in the dark is a pain because the inside of my windscreen is filthy from the car sitting in the unit last year and I always forget before the next time I need to drive in the dark so haven't bought glass cleaner yet.

Down here the contrast is even more stark. My commute to work varies from 30-50 minutes normally, but if it's at a dead quiet time of day with clear roads it can be 15 minutes...

On 9/30/2021 at 1:42 AM, mitsisigma01 said:

Can you please ask them to justify the £422 per year they charged to a 76 year old man for his car recovery!!!! New member maybe...

No, 56 fkin years and they would still be skinning him now. Exploiting the elderly.... He didn't even drive for the last four years!!! 😠😠😠😠

Anyone know the email address of the bloke who does all the AA tv interviews 😠😠😠

He's on Twitter: @AAPresident

1 hour ago, reb said:

It takes a bit of getting used to, they appear dimmer than bluish white light, but they align better with the wavelengths of light our eyes see best in dark conditions so you can actually see better. Of course the yellow bulbs are all Finest Chinesium so quality can vary a lot, it's quite likely your ones were just a bit shit whether they were yellow or not. I've never used yellow H4s so it might just be a thing with them. I'll buy some for the 205 and report back.

I didn't have yellow bulbs, I had yellow glass covers that clipped over the existing bulbs.