The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

19 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Sadly your premiums will go up as you have made a claim ( fault or not ), the NCD can stay in place but it’s still a discount on the full premium. Basically a no win scenario.

All 3 non fault claims I've made on mine and Mrs SiC policy have not increased the cost of our insurance. Windscreen claims haven't either. 

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

IMG_20210923_185929.thumb.jpg.1da4ce10e7ac544d46d8300e030537a4.jpgThe  T25 that had a timing belt change on Monday decided to expire with a failed fuel pump on Wednesday. Luckily a spare was available, but why it had to wait until after Monday can only be put down to natural perversity.

Oh good, on the way home it popped its head gasket.

Duh. Posted this in the wrong thread... I'll have another go

Very nearly bought a car! Someone else ended up beating me to it.
No idea what was wrong with it either - Seemed a bit too good to be true. Was a 2006 BMW 320D with around 140k on it. Brand new MOT on Tuesday with no advisories (which is shocking for one of these - they normally have at least brake line corrosion at least). Fella only wanted £1500 for it.

Was looking at this too. At nearly 50, I might be a bit old for this look

241023126_4217261424989795_6517756871472

I'm not sure these are shitters yet. They will be when me and my dog have finished with them. I'll no doubt wreck the paintwork. Dog will no doubt wreck the interior.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, stuboy said:

Rescued this from being scrapped .. I k ow it's a generator,  Villiers make, its heavy as f.....lipping an elephant 

20210922_193733.jpg

20210922_193742.jpg

20210922_193752.jpg

20210922_193756.jpg

20210922_193759.jpg

20210922_193812.jpg

All it needs is a bit if wax to preserve the patina and a piece of plate glass to go on top and you have your very own hipster, decorative salvage coffee table. 

The nice man from Autograss popped round this morning to replace the cracked windscreen on (just trying to fit in here) Billy the blue car. He remarked, 'what a lovely blue car, Billy is'.

And when I was driving into Loughborough earlier, some lads in a newish Golf, pulled alongside me in Sammy the scruffy silver car and asked me if I'd like to sell it to them! What lovely lads they were.

Blarg.  Just been faffing about trying to remove the timing chain tensioner on the Merc (because you have to take it apart to reset it...great design) and have ascertained that to get anything capable of loosening it I'm going to first need to remove the alternator.

Right, stepping away from this car for a few days now as I'm just starting to get frustrated with it.

Panic buying is bonkers this way. Nipped to my friendly village garage who sell a bit of petrol here and there to keep the old boy busy: sold out. Big sign outside like it was 2000 again. In the ten minutes I was there booking an MOT the phone rang four times about availability of petrol and five people ignored the sign and pulled up. 

I feel sorry for my neighbour who is attempting to get his son to uni tomorrow. I went over with my Pela earlier and drained 30 litres from his MG Midget whilst he stuck it into his modern just so they can do the 200 miles there. Just hope he can get back with relatively little friction. 

7 hours ago, yes oui si said:

938 miles from 6am yesterday to 5am today, napped for 90 minutes at Scotch Corner on the way home. 

Volvo Repaired, MOT'd and to my friend to use until she's sorted. 

Corolla to Rhyl. 

MG home with me. 

Love it, proper sleek barge. 

IMG_20210924_002205.thumb.jpg.aa92fc6c7eeda16baac4346d527e8cd3.jpg

Like that.  What are the wheels*?

* Other than round... 😉

7 hours ago, yes oui si said:

938 miles from 6am yesterday to 5am today, napped for 90 minutes at Scotch Corner on the way home. 

Volvo Repaired, MOT'd and to my friend to use until she's sorted. 

Corolla to Rhyl. 

MG home with me. 

Love it, proper sleek barge. 

IMG_20210924_002205.thumb.jpg.aa92fc6c7eeda16baac4346d527e8cd3.jpg

I did spot that MG for sale, pretty close to me really! Looks nice! 

23 hours ago, artdjones said:

Oh good, on the way home it popped its head gasket.

I didn't have any more time this week, so the owner got it towed to a friend's house, who has a T25 stored. They are going to borrow the engine from that, which is a 75hp 1.9td, and search around for another engine at leisure.

Hopefully he can get hold of a 1.9, which is a durable engine. The 1.6 TD isn't particularly. Once anything goes wrong they have a total nervous breakdown and need completely rebuilding, probably with a new head. Even the non-turbo 1.6s aren't very strong mechanically, especially the head gasket. The 1.9 has a much stronger metal gasket.

13 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I didn't have any more time this week, so the owner got it towed to a friend's house, who has a T25 stored. They are going to borrow the engine from that, which is a 75hp 1.9td, and search around for another engine at leisure.

Hopefully he can get hold of a 1.9, which is a durable engine. The 1.6 TD isn't particularly. Once anything goes wrong they have a total nervous breakdown and need completely rebuilding, probably with a new head. Even the non-turbo 1.6s aren't very strong mechanically, especially the head gasket. The 1.9 has a much stronger metal gasket.

I almost bought an MK2 Golf 1.6 diesel a few years ago from an Estonian builder and it had 480,000 km on it and was mechanically in good condition. Unfortunately, it was too rusty for me to buy it.  So do not know if it was pure luck that that engine had lasted so long.

31 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I almost bought an MK2 Golf 1.6 diesel a few years ago from an Estonian builder and it had 480,000 km on it and was mechanically in good condition. Unfortunately, it was too rusty for me to buy it.  So do not know if it was pure luck that that engine had lasted so long.

Some do last. A friend's B2 Passat did about 250000 miles. Although it was drinking 20/50 oil for the last year or two. And once he stopped on an Autobahn service area in the depths of winter, and when they came back to the car after ½ an hour it didn't have enough compression to start. It only went when a passing auto club man gave them a quick free 24v jump start.

Replaced the faulty  right hand rear ABS sensor on the Tivoli, took it for a test drive and suprise suprise, the abs light is still shining brightly.

Check diagnostics "right side rear wheel sensor short circuit/open to ground". Fuck sake, so either the wiring is fucked or the new sensor is fubar. Wiring looks good, but the live feed on the diagnostics is showing no reading... I'm begining to think fire might be the cure! 

Bloody moderns.

3 minutes ago, barefoot said:

So not 'really well',  just 'quite' smooth, but clearly not in the same league as even a stock 75 which aren't anything to write home about.

My apologies for an old MG on £200 BMW coilovers not having the pillow-soft plushness that your bottom demands.