The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 9/15/2021 at 9:07 PM, puddlethumper said:

I had a slight accident earlier this evening. Urban dual carriageway, Dudley by pass, where they are doing some resurfacing. Right lane coned off coming up to a round about. I was in the left lane behind a line of cars waiting to get to the round about and numpty comes up the right lane and decides there is enough room between the cones and me to barge in. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room and my offside corner met his rear arch. Big shaven headed guy jumps out and starts shouting and generally being aggressive. I thought, look out road rage. He tried to open the passenger door, mines lhd, which was locked, coz I don't have any friends and therefore don't carry passengers. Starts to come round the other side so I locked the door. I thought he was going to attack me. After a bit he calmed down enough that I got out, keeping my distance just in case. He had a minor scrape on his rear arch area and I had no damage. Can't beat a 305 steel bumper. I took photos and exchanged details. I have never made a claim or had one against me in 50 years of driving so I was well pissed off. 

I'll give everyone one guess what make of car he was driving.

Further developments to this incident. My insurance has put it down as knock for knock. Serves him right for being a nobhead.

Had a phone call today from, I presume, his garage guy who said it would cost me £250 and that I hadn't informed my insurance company. Load of bollox. Then he tried to tell me having a Ford badge on the front was illegal. Not as far as I know. I did tell him that his mates number plate was definitely illegal whereupon he went a bit quiet and I rang off. Insurance has a very good pic of his number plate. What they do about it I don't know. I may take a hit on this next time I renew although I might have paid for NCD protection. Will have to check.

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

Further developments to this incident. My insurance has put it down as knock for knock. Serves him right for being a nobhead.

Had a phone call today from, I presume, his garage guy who said it would cost me £250 and that I hadn't informed my insurance company. Load of bollox. Then he tried to tell me having a Ford badge on the front was illegal. Not as far as I know. I did tell him that his mates number plate was definitely illegal whereupon he went a bit quiet and I rang off. Insurance has a very good pic of his number plate. What they do about it I don't know. I may take a hit on this next time I renew although I might have paid for NCD protection. Will have to check.

Sadly your premiums will go up as you have made a claim ( fault or not ), the NCD can stay in place but it’s still a discount on the full premium. Basically a no win scenario.

18 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Sadly your premiums will go up as you have made a claim ( fault or not ), the NCD can stay in place but it’s still a discount on the full premium. Basically a no win scenario.

Yea, I realise that but I can take the hit. I wonder how much his insurance will be next year. I hope it's a lot. I doubt if he will learn from this though. Just an arrogant shit.

On 21/09/2021 at 10:24, Dyslexic Viking said:

Bought a carburetor from Germany on ebay and got a battery gauge instead. Have contacted the seller and wonder how this goes.

20210921_092331.thumb.jpg.6fe93ebe10f9d0c23ee708c643647af1.jpg

The seller has gone quiet so I'm starting to think this was done on purpose. So looks like I've been screwed over but this is a weird way to do it.

9 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

eBay claim time?

Yes, I think so. But have to wait 3 days from when I first contacted the seller so it will be Friday. And then the problem becomes just how I do it. I'm struggling to find a simple explanation for how to do this. Seems like ebay will deliberately make it as difficult as possible.

3 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Yes, I think so. But have to wait 3 days from when I first contacted the seller so it will be Friday. And then the problem becomes just how I do it. I'm struggling to find a simple explanation for how to do this. Seems like ebay will deliberately make it as difficult as possible.

Item not as described?

Had a nice day out in Ely today for my birthday.  I took the newly acquired Micra - it really does go like f*ck for a 1.2-litre shopping car.  It did the 150-mile round trip on £20 of pez, which isn't bad going considering I wasn't particularly sparing the horses.  The EML came on at one point but didn't seem to make any difference to anything.  The behaviour of other drivers was interesting though - it's almost as if nobody is used to seeing a metallic beige K12 Micra making decent progress...  There were a number of cars which I overtook and which then went blasting past me a few moments later, and a lad in a newish VW Caddy TDI who was getting seriously pissed off that he couldn't out-accelerate me away from the roundabouts on the A11.  I don't intend to keep the car long term, but I'm having a lot more fun with it than I had expected.

12 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Had a nice day out in Ely today for my birthday.  I took the newly acquired Micra - it really does go like f*ck for a 1.2-litre shopping car.  It did the 150-mile round trip on £20 of pez, which isn't bad going considering I wasn't particularly sparing the horses.  The EML came on at one point but didn't seem to make any difference to anything.  The behaviour of other drivers was interesting though - it's almost as if nobody is used to seeing a metallic beige K12 Micra making decent progress...  There were a number of cars which I overtook and which then went blasting past me a few moments later, and a lad in a newish VW Caddy TDI who was getting seriously pissed off that he couldn't out-accelerate me away from the roundabouts on the A11.  I don't intend to keep the car long term, but I'm having a lot more fun with it than I had expected.

Agree. Many years ago I had 2 cars, a Morris 1300 and a Daimler V8. it was quite noticeable how other drivers treated me. Push the Morris around, but don't mess with the Daimler was the best way to describe it.

I’ve started to take the donor V70 I bought last week apart. It’s the same paint code as mine and the spoiler looked pretty nice so I looked at swapping it over. It’s straightforward enough but involves drilling the tailgate and cutting and resoldering the wiring for the brake light, it has to be fed though a small hole but won’t fit with the connector still fitted. 

In the end I decided to swap the entire tailgates over. Being fibreglass they don’t weigh much so with the assistance of Mrs LT they were soon exchanged. The wiring was all the same as simply plugged in. The donor was a slightly earlier model which meant the wiper parked on the opposite side but it was a doddle to exchange the motors, although it wasn’t really necessary. The D5 badge was removed, numberplate fitted and the various functions tested. I was never a fan of spoilers but I do think it looks nice. 

While working in the boot area I noticed the interior trim was much better than mine so that was exchanged too. My Volvo’s PO used it for carting rescue dogs about and although it had been shampooed multiple times it still whiffed and had some staining, I also took the opportunity to vacuum everything including the areas that were previously hidden by interior panels.

I’m pretty pleased with the progress although it was a pretty well sorted car already, it feels weird driving around in a tidy car for a change! This thing also passed it's MOT this week with only two advisories for corroded springs and exhaust which I think is a record for me. 

7494C165-2533-4DD2-8A5D-39C2D724F0B1.jpeg

1F02B956-CC9A-4FAB-A527-478664D6027A.jpeg

D0CE27A4-3E12-4E8C-8AF4-861A49E7D563.jpeg

5DE580F5-EA33-4188-9344-C103DFD93913.jpeg

57C73540-36F1-4837-B3A3-F5389AA9861B.jpeg

19 hours ago, richardmorris said:

All 3 non fault claims I've made on mine and Mrs SiC policy have not increased the cost of our insurance. Windscreen claims haven't either. 

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

IMG_20210923_185929.thumb.jpg.1da4ce10e7ac544d46d8300e030537a4.jpgThe  T25 that had a timing belt change on Monday decided to expire with a failed fuel pump on Wednesday. Luckily a spare was available, but why it had to wait until after Monday can only be put down to natural perversity.

Oh good, on the way home it popped its head gasket.

Duh. Posted this in the wrong thread... I'll have another go

Very nearly bought a car! Someone else ended up beating me to it.
No idea what was wrong with it either - Seemed a bit too good to be true. Was a 2006 BMW 320D with around 140k on it. Brand new MOT on Tuesday with no advisories (which is shocking for one of these - they normally have at least brake line corrosion at least). Fella only wanted £1500 for it.

Was looking at this too. At nearly 50, I might be a bit old for this look

241023126_4217261424989795_6517756871472

I'm not sure these are shitters yet. They will be when me and my dog have finished with them. I'll no doubt wreck the paintwork. Dog will no doubt wreck the interior.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, stuboy said:

Rescued this from being scrapped .. I k ow it's a generator,  Villiers make, its heavy as f.....lipping an elephant 

20210922_193733.jpg

20210922_193742.jpg

20210922_193752.jpg

20210922_193756.jpg

20210922_193759.jpg

20210922_193812.jpg

All it needs is a bit if wax to preserve the patina and a piece of plate glass to go on top and you have your very own hipster, decorative salvage coffee table. 

The nice man from Autograss popped round this morning to replace the cracked windscreen on (just trying to fit in here) Billy the blue car. He remarked, 'what a lovely blue car, Billy is'.

And when I was driving into Loughborough earlier, some lads in a newish Golf, pulled alongside me in Sammy the scruffy silver car and asked me if I'd like to sell it to them! What lovely lads they were.