The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Right day 4 training done, cat C test tomorrow at 12pm

Im confident in my driving and reversing, what I’m really not confident is the area I’m doing my test. Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield seems to be absolutely full of people who can’t drive, park anywhere, druggies walking out in front of you etc. I genuinely think if I fail it’s going to be because something unexpected catches me out.

49 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Looks ideal for the job. Maybe a quick annual roll-over would be a good preventative measure.

Don't forget to paint the bottom of the tank as i have seen these rust out from the inside,so drain any water off on a regular basis--water is heavier than oil so it goes straight to the bottom! 

42 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Eww... pretty convinced that someone in the distant past has tried to fix the non working speedometer on my BX by spraying WD40 (or similar) into the instrument panel.

Not what you want to find.

Anyone got a Mk I BX instrument cluster floating around?

Might of been my Dad, he once brought a radio/cassette player home from one of the lads at work having said I would fix it, the serial number had been scratched out and it had marks where it had been levered out of a dashboard. I'd had a number of stereos stolen so it was a sore point so I told him no, he got the hump and said he'd fix it himself, next thing he's holding the flap open and spraying WD40 in.. 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Might of been my Dad, he once brought a radio/cassette player home from one of the lads at work having said I would fix it, the serial number had been scratched out and it had marks where it had been levered out of a dashboard. I'd had a number of stereos stolen so it was a sore point so I told him no, he got the hump and said he'd fix it himself, next thing he's holding the flap open and spraying WD40 in.. 🤣🤣

Oh dear... it's alarming how many people think you can fix anything by spraying it with WD40!

To be honest most of it here is just cleanup...the problem is that it's got into everything...and has done this to the filter gels.

IMG_20210916_211020.thumb.jpg.556b6109b90edcca42674726c7227e4f.jpg

IMG_20210916_210824.thumb.jpg.0c35636d414aecc034881e70bbc0c4cb.jpg

*Thankfully* whatever they screen printed the actual speedometer drum with seems to have been unaffected by it.

Realistically though the only thing for the filters is going to be finding a donor dash to pull them from.  I'll touch the borders in as best I can but it'll never be right...and I'm not daft enough to even try touching up the actual legends as I'll only make that a million times worse.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh dear... it's alarming how many people think you can fix anything by spraying it with WD40!

To be honest most of it here is just cleanup...the problem is that it's got into everything...and has done this to the filter gels.

IMG_20210916_211020.thumb.jpg.556b6109b90edcca42674726c7227e4f.jpg

IMG_20210916_210824.thumb.jpg.0c35636d414aecc034881e70bbc0c4cb.jpg

*Thankfully* whatever they screen printed the actual speedometer drum with seems to have been unaffected by it.

Realistically though the only thing for the filters is going to be finding a donor dash to pull them from.  I'll touch the borders in as best I can but it'll never be right...and I'm not daft enough to even try touching up the actual legends as I'll only make that a million times worse.

Not worth trying to scan then print onto OHP transparency? Granted if a used unit can be found that's an order of magnitude less faffy. I find footering about with symbols like that on potatoshop quite therapeutic.

21 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Not worth trying to scan then print onto OHP transparency? Granted if a used unit can be found that's an order of magnitude less faffy. I find footering about with symbols like that on potatoshop quite therapeutic.

Not a bad idea.  Not something I want to sink that many hours into right now, but I'll definitely take a scan of them before I put things back together.  I do quite enjoy image repair work like that...but am fully aware of how many hours I could happily sink into it beyond the point anyone would be able to see the difference!

Don't actually have any transparency film in stock either so would need to wait for that to arrive anyway.  I've done a very quick and dirty touch up by hand to make things a bit less obvious in the meantime at least.

Additional: Holy hell laser transparency film is expensive...

Edit: Thank goodness the part I was most worried about survived cleaning unharmed.

IMG_20210916_213516.thumb.jpg.d5eb763ac5536577560eef9b44ffb8b3.jpg

That's illuminated by a light pipe effect in the plastic itself (which is edge lit) so would have been pretty much impossible to recreate with the equipment I have on hand.

Bit the bullet and purchased a new brake master cylinder from Brookhouse Volvo via their slightly clunky website which arrived in timely fashion and even included a small bag of haribo! 

The 145 now has working brakes with no leaks although they’re pretty spongy as still need trapped air bleeding out. Nothing beats the warm fuzzyfeeling of opening the bonnet and finding shiny NEW components fitted as I’m sure any shiters will agree.  I spent most of yesterday opening and closing the bonnet but I think I need to fit more new parts soon to maintain that fuzzy feeling. 

38C03CA2-54DE-4099-8F28-80AA2D0F6182.jpeg

4C01AD54-2BEF-4ABC-B105-95186448009A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Bit the bullet and purchased a new brake master cylinder from Brookhouse Volvo via their slightly clunky website which arrived in timely fashion and even included a small bag of haribo! 

The 145 now has working brakes with no leaks although they’re pretty spongy as still need trapped air bleeding out. Nothing beats the warm fuzzyfeeling of opening the bonnet and finding shiny NEW components fitted as I’m sure any shiters will agree.  I spent most of yesterday opening and closing the bonnet but I think I need to fit more new parts soon to maintain that fuzzy feeling. 

38C03CA2-54DE-4099-8F28-80AA2D0F6182.jpeg

4C01AD54-2BEF-4ABC-B105-95186448009A.jpeg

The Haribo is a standard thing with orders from Brookhouse.  I think it's an attempt to make you forget how brutally you've just been arse raped price-wise...

27 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The Haribo is a standard thing with orders from Brookhouse.  I think it's an attempt to make you forget how brutally you've just been arse raped price-wise...

The retail side of the company I work for used to send out Haribo with all orders, however post brexit they got caught out on international orders when the bag of Haribo wasn't declared on the customs invoice causing all hell to break loose when thousands of pounds worth of orders were delayed because of a small bag of sweets.

A box arrived today. A big one. In fact it was so heavy I could barely lift the bastard-

20210917_140910.thumb.jpg.c59f11096283b9ab4de0732e04ba105e.jpg

Rear pads and discs for the 545. Even the rear discs are a whopping 345mm in diameter - I believe they are the same as the M5. The pads also fit certain bentleys.

Old radiator fan switch is dead.  No worries, new radiator comes with a fan switch... which is dead. No worries, I'll order a new fan switch... which is dead.  I wonder how many switches I have to buy to find a good one and I wonder how long it will then last?  Fixed* the problem with a length of suitable wire with connectors on each end  so the fan is constantly running.