The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

As a supposedly manual gearshift perv, I like the idea of converting it to manual. But then I also do not live in the UK because when I imagine driving in the UK, it is constant driving in a traffic jams in heavy rain I see in my mind. And even though I hate automatic gearboxes, I understand that in such they are better.

Port Sunlight was the destination today… not planned, but after going to a rather damp cars and coffee at which there were about 4 cars of any interest… so we decamped to an equally damp Port Sunlight for a car show run by basically marshalling Nazis.

After parking me up they informed the next guy he was in for the day, no way I’m sitting on a wet village green until 4pm, so they lost the benefit of my rare Trans Sport in their show and I drove out. 
8B945A73-4EDE-4B25-9AC6-3622EFA4C2AF.jpeg

My parking spot next to the village green was not exactly far away.

Anyway! The cars! A few selected highlights 

3371A85D-7F7F-456E-BCBB-8BAD5E30E6C5.jpegA302B35C-97B2-424A-9AC2-B0DE7F5918E0.jpeg182A2C98-C52D-42C9-A9FA-42FC221DAA15.jpeg

Just Oooooooooft. This Panhard was utterly gorgeous! 

2A1CB208-A183-4827-912B-1513170BADB9.jpeg07C70EB6-9CCF-47B7-BCAD-CF0D1D48EE11.jpeg60F70A6B-806A-4FBD-AD7A-816522291FD4.jpeg4A7894DB-FE63-4B51-863C-65650A19BF1A.jpeg4C30956D-DE2B-4A10-8A0E-32C721AE79AE.jpeg

and here’s a Calibra leaving early after rowing with the organisers…

64BFD6B7-06C2-430E-BB16-D691C96783BB.jpeg

Some crackers were found outside on the road too… people like me who couldn’t be arsed with the Marshall nonsense. 

BB5344C4-20B8-44C3-A47C-F9C54ED01D93.jpeg89340F73-7668-493B-986B-E14C006F5641.jpegBFD9BC2A-BDC7-4E0B-8D4D-2C7D7E3B562D.jpeg

55 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Don't do it man!!!! Manually changing gear is for perverts! A 2.0 pinto is never going to be a race car, just embrace the two pedal luxury.

Sorry dude,but I don't like the 3 speed auto,mine leaks and is clunky,plus I have a 2.0 type 9 cluttering up the shed.

I think the taller gears combined with the Auto rear axle should make motorway driving less of a chore.

I will miss the chrome T bar gear lever though,that is a fantastic piece of design,very ergonomic too.

30 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

As a supposedly manual gearshift perv, I like the idea of converting it to manual. But then I also do not live in the UK because when I imagine driving in the UK, it is constant driving in a traffic jams in heavy rain I see in my mind. And even though I hate automatic gearboxes, I understand that in such they are better.

I don't live in the UK either.

9 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

In Wales you have either empty scenic roads with occasional traffic or, if you head towards England then yes its pretty much traffic jams everywhere you go. 

The irony of owning a road going performance car in England seems to be lost on many. 

But then I went to Malta and the situation is even more bizarre, the main island is less than 10km long and about a third is city, the rest is overcrowded back roads, the island is a perpetual traffic jam and people bother to import powerful cars. They could just use the buses or have a Twizy each, or (shock horror) walk and cycle anywhere in the island easily 😅

34 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

But then I went to Malta and the situation is even more bizarre, the main island is less than 10km long and about a third is city, the rest is overcrowded back roads, the island is a perpetual traffic jam and people bother to import powerful cars. They could just use the buses or have a Twizy each, or (shock horror) walk and cycle anywhere in the island easily 😅

Since I hate overcrowded areas, Malta sounds like hell to me. Certain areas of Canada have a population density of 0.02 per km2 that is more as it should be.

I checked the Cavalier this morning and it's lost A LITRE of coolant over a 10 mile drive last night.

It's dripping off the nearside subframe again.

I can't feel anything wet around the thermostat area. All pipe connections are tight and there doesn't appear to be any more coolant on top of the gearbox so I have no idea where it is coming from this time. I'm actually starting to think it's head gasket as there was only a few drips off the subframe onto the mat below, definitely  not a whole litre.

I am going to ask the garage to have a look for anything obvious at the MOT as it is losing it at a biblical rate now. Hopefully it will have enough to get it through the test. Then there's the question do I bother spending anything to get it through which would be throwing good money after bad.

This has to be the least pleasure I've ever had from owning a car.

9 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I checked the Cavalier this morning and it's lost A LITRE of coolant over a 10 mile drive last night.

It's dripping off the nearside subframe again.

I can't feel anything wet around the thermostat area. All pipe connections are tight and there doesn't appear to be any more coolant on top of the gearbox so I have no idea where it is coming from this time. I'm actually starting to think it's head gasket as there was only a few drips off the subframe onto the mat below, definitely  not a whole litre.

I am going to ask the garage to have a look for anything obvious at the MOT as it is losing it at a biblical rate now. Hopefully it will have enough to get it through the test. Then there's the question do I bother spending anything to get it through which would be throwing good money after bad.

This has to be the least pleasure I've ever had from owning a car.

Sounds like you need to quit your old cavalier habit...

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Yes, I'm not going to be able to replace it either so am basically losing a car. 

May be no bad thing though. 

From what I recall the last three Cavaliers you had have caused you agro and misery, unless I've just happened to miss the good bits.

You need something gives you more joy than misery, I would assume. 

But then I don't know the full extent so feel free to tell me to shut up!

I've only had 2 but it feels like more! The issue with the first one was getting anyone to weld it, should have kept that one.

If I sell this one at a loss I'm not going to be able to justify dipping into my savings to get another car to fill the gap, it'll be down to 3 cars.

Lockdown boredom is starting to get to me, but this arrived in the mail this morning. I haven't seen this publication before, no adverts, no road tests, and no date to identify what year it's from exactly (I'm guessing it's from around 1978/1979), so very much an odd ball publication to me. Interesting stuff in it, I'll see if I can scan some articles for the Shite Magazine Scans page.

IMG_6491.thumb.JPG.fa3fcbcd2778b8476e1b6f67b55d4f01.JPG

41 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I've only had 2 but it feels like more! The issue with the first one was getting anyone to weld it, should have kept that one.

If I sell this one at a loss I'm not going to be able to justify dipping into my savings to get another car to fill the gap, it'll be down to 3 cars.

I've  found the reluctance to do work on anything over 10 years old common too 😢

Bad news with the leak, I had  a similar issue 18 months ago on the P6. It would loose a lot of coolant but with no visible leak, just a drastic drop over long journeys (50 or so miles) I spent ages going over it and the cause was a slightly deformed top hose mount being slightly out of round.  You could clamp the hose on it fine  and it wouldnt show leaks till it was well up to temp and pressure  say 20 mins. I only caught it when I popped the bonnet the second  we stopped after a long journey and caught whisps  of steam escaping . Possibly look forward of where its pooling in the subframe - it could be leaking  low downa nd blowing back or vapor leaking and condensing (no such luck  on the Rover as there was nothing much behind the rad/hose junction for it to hit.  My rate of loss was not dissimilar to yours .

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Since I hate overcrowded areas, Malta sounds like hell to me. Certain areas of Canada have a population density of 0.02 per km2 that is more as it should be.

It is a dream of mine to buy some cheap land somewhere in a desolate part of north america and build a big log cabin on it and just say fuck off to the rest of the world.

The newly named, to fit in on here; Oswald (the Orange van), the fair wife & I have just returned from a pleasant trip down to the English River Area. That was 600 miles in a forty two year old van without a single hiccup. Since discovering that the speed O meter indicates 60 when it is in fact only doing 55 has lead me to driving it a whole lot more enthusiastically.

DSCN6338.thumb.JPG.f8dd9dfd85d65bd81f48d0e353fb6b53.JPG

I went out a run in it and dived out the minute I had stopped to catch the bastard leaking. It's from a tiny rubber hose from the thermostat where the spring clip has gone weak. At least my actual repair seems good.

Jubilee clip on now, just to get it at the right angle and tighten it after work. Oh and them put back the 312 boost pipes that were in the way 🙄

So it appears that @Six-cylinder's nemesis, the slightly larger engined yellow Chavalier, is local. He appeared at Whittlebury on Sunday.

Unfortunately, I had another event to attend to and didn't get a chance to speak to the owner who was busy polishing his end.

I'm now fully car showed out. Other than Sunday Scramble in October, I have nothing booked until the NEC in November.

1 hour ago, reb said:

It is a dream of mine to buy some cheap land somewhere in a desolate part of north america and build a big log cabin on it and just say fuck off to the rest of the world

A mate of mine has just bought a place in Spain in the middle of nowhere... I fancy digging myself a cave house and getting away from it all 🤯